• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Posted an article with an update on Project Resolve at the Shipbuilding thread.

Plus, here's a a computer rendering of the M/V Asterix vessel after conversion. Picture: Chantier Davie
Royal_Canadian_Navy_RCN_Interim_Auxiliary_Oil_Replenishment_iAOR_converted.jpg

Plus a picture of how she looks now:

Royal_Canadian_Navy_RCN_Interim_Auxiliary_Oil_Replenishment_iAOR_Asterix.jpg

caption: Civilian container vessel M.V. Asterix will be converted into an Auxiliary Oil Replenishment (AOR) ship
for the Royal Canadian Navy’s interim supply ship capability. Picture: Chantier Davie

Davie has just posted this picture ...

CQ3oVxOWoAAJ1yZ.jpg

... of the MV Asterix in Levis, ready to begin the conversion process.

I have to admire Davie. They are really showing a set of balls that I did not think any shipbuilder in Canada had.

I thought that this was all political posturing. Despite not hearing anything official from CRCN, I beginning to believe that this just might happen.

SeaKingTacco said:
I have to admire Davie. They are really showing a set of balls that I did not think any shipbuilder in Canada had.

That's because Davie has Daewoo backing them now.  They aren't some bush league operation anymore.

If they get this done then perhaps Davie could convert another couple of hulls to AORs and the Berlins could be reconfigured by Seaspan to be heavier on the Army Support side?

Perhaps something like the M/V Cragside - Originally a Maersk RoRo.

1905778.jpg

We were discussing this project this afternoon.  In looking at the design concepts with the drawing ER provided, we're optimistic it won't be a shitshow.  In fact, we're impressed. Especially if they do it in 18 months.

If they pull this off, they might just create a niche market, to bad the Russians are naughty, we could have sold them a couple.

Check this website out. It has an outstanding list of COTS alternatives for naval purposes.  And, the things can be done with seacans!!! Amazing.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2011/08/a-ship-that-is-not-a-frigate-part-4-modules-and-payloads/#Small_Craft

What are we doing playing around with Berlin class tankers and thinking about LHD etc?

It's starting to come out that apparently the RCN will have the option to buy the Astrix when the initial contract is up, could be a cheap way of making sure we have 3 AOR's

I would even go a bit farther---there is an option to buy another Asterix-class container ship for conversion to AOR as well.  If we were to exercise that option and later buy both Asterix-class AOR's then together with the Berlin-class AOR's we could have
1 "blue-water" AOR and 1 "domestic" AOR on each coast.

Bearpaw

If we buy two converted Astrix I doubt we'll see the Queenstown's come to pass.  That money will be better spent towards more CSC.

jollyjacktar said:
If we buy two converted Astrix I doubt we'll see the Queenstown's come to pass.  That money will be better spent towards more CSC.
Not really, two is not enough, we will have periods when the ships need to be in dry dock for maintenance, meaning a coast might be without a AOR for a few months, that is why three was the original plan. The third one would be able to cover that gap while one of the other two is in dry dock. If we had two on each coast, that makes it easier as we wouldn't have to worry about having a ship make the long transit through Panama to get to the other coast.

jollyjacktar: The Liberals might well prefer to put JSS money towards another icebreaker or two for the, civilian, Canadian Coast Guard--Arctic! Arctic! Arctic! (even if mainly used off east coast).

Mark
Ottawa

MilEME09 said:
Not really, two is not enough, we will have periods when the ships need to be in dry dock for maintenance, meaning a coast might be without a AOR for a few months, that is why three was the original plan. The third one would be able to cover that gap while one of the other two is in dry dock. If we had two on each coast, that makes it easier as we wouldn't have to worry about having a ship make the long transit through Panama to get to the other coast.

I'm an old tanker hand, I know we need at least three if not four to allow cycles for refits etc.  However, what we need is not necessarily what we'll get as has been proven time and time again.  Dollars will go where those who control the purse strings decide and my money's on getting other capacity growth elsewhere, be it CCG or RCN.  And by the way, the "original" plan was to have four in the water for 2005.  Nuff said there...

MilEME09 said:

Two may not be enough, but we made do with two for a long time. Sure, a lot of people we're saying we could really use more, but it wasn't in the public eye. It wasn't until we were down to 1 (and very shortly after, 0) that the general public and therefore politicians started to notice or care.

I think two Astrix and two Berlins would be awesome! But if we get two Astrix and they perform well, I can see the Berlin class hitting some road blocks.

Hey neat question, what are we going to name the Astrix? Suggestions?

HMCS Votes-en-Lauzon?

Lumber said:
Two may not be enough, but we made do with two for a long time. Sure, a lot of people we're saying we could really use more, but it wasn't in the public eye. It wasn't until we were down to 1 (and very shortly after, 0) that the general public and therefore politicians started to notice or care.

I think two Astrix and two Berlins would be awesome! But if we get two Astrix and they perform well, I can see the Berlin class hitting some road blocks.

Hey neat question, what are we going to name the Astrix? Suggestions?

HMCS Votes-en-Lauzon?

God no more place names.  How about something more aggressive like HMCS Fearless or HMCS Puncher

Back