• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

In defense of the leopard 2, I've never seen a open competition for slightly used equipment, I do believe a certain liberal sub buy was also sole sourced.

We can't know that a competition would have been worse or if it would have been better.

Took them over a year to decide and Irving had a proposal thy have considered. Sometimes the government need to move ahead with the good enough option and not the gold plated one (or in Irving’s option, no doubt charged for gold plating, but only applied paint)

CBC is now covering this being a go (again).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/davie-shipyard-s-700m-deal-for-navy-supply-ship-retrofit-to-go-ahead-1.3344037

Meanwhile ....
The Spanish Navy will deploy two auxiliary oiler and replenishment (AOR) vessels in 2016 to "cover the Canadian Navy's temporary need for logistic support vessels in the North Atlantic," military sources told Defense News.

Both replenishment ships — Patiño and Cantabria — will support training for the Royal Canadian Navy's Atlantic fleet in two different time periods: Patiño will operate between February and March, and Cantabria between mid-September and November.

"This support is based on NATO’s principle of solidarity among its allies, by which a country provides a capability that the other does not have," a Spanish military source said. "The deployment will not have additional costs and will not have an impact in our capabilities."

The main mission of a combat-replenishment ship and hospital is to supply fuel, fresh water, ammunition, provisions, spare parts, military equipment, uniforms, medicines and medical assistance to other combat units at sea.

The Cantabria deployed with the Royal Australian Navy in 2013. The government of Australia paid the expenses of that deployment during the year ....

Some pictures of the Resolve conversion at Davie:

12901306_1110047175720678_7086704140331882851_o.jpg
12970962_1110047232387339_3265855924362834588_o.jpg

12976976_1110047225720673_2916532716447248940_o.jpg
12973466_1110047262387336_21448874863215958_o.jpg

12901169_1110047172387345_4082146164979758462_o.jpg
12672164_1110047265720669_2801240856135188786_o.jpg

12961289_1110047229054006_1043709299855594521_o.jpg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/GOCANADANAVY/

I expect it all makes sense to some of you. I'm guessing it shows progress.

Yes. It does show progress. And I suspect these pics are a few months old.

But, good lord does that main engine need a clean-up. Look at tall the carbonization crap. Once re-finished, I would hope it never gets back to such a bad state, as we, in the Navy don't switch to heavy bunker for fuel once at speed on the open ocean.

There are some neat features about this ship, the extra space for pax being one. I wonder if Davie is on to something here. Buying and converting ships and operating a small fleet of AOR available on a contract basis for NATO and RIMPAC countries but used out of threat areas? Canada's very own RFA fleet, only it is privately a owned entity or perhaps initially a PPP (although Im sure having the federal bureaucracy involved in it would be a serious efficiency drag.)
A workplace for sailors and MARS officers to retire or semi-retire?  A place for air maintenance crew and others to get some time in prior to deploying on the JSS?

whiskey601 said:
There are some neat features about this ship, the extra space for pax being one. I wonder if Davie is on to something here. Buying and converting ships and operating a small fleet of AOR available on a contract basis for NATO and RIMPAC countries but used out of threat areas? Canada's very own RFA fleet, only it is privately a owned entity or perhaps initially a PPP (although Im sure having the federal bureaucracy involved in it would be a serious efficiency drag.)
A workplace for sailors and MARS officers to retire or semi-retire?  A place for air maintenance crew and others to get some time in prior to deploying on the JSS?

Good points. Why we employed the AOR's as battle tankers is totally beyond me. We could have 2 or even 3 of these on each coast?

FSTO said:
Good points. Why we employed the AOR's as battle tankers is totally beyond me. We could have 2 or even 3 of these on each coast?

Yeah, it's pretty clear that Canada's doctrine on this is flawed. 

FSTO said:

Because Battle Tanker sounds like an awesome ship to serve on?  ;D

F.A.R.T. Fast Attack Replenishment Tanker, thank you very much.    :salute:

jollyjacktar said:
F.A.R.T. Fast Attack Replenishment Tanker, thank you very much.    :salute:

The sound heard when a periscope is sighted?

Royal Canadian Navy picks a name for a third Joint Support Ship

Link removed as per site rules.
Bruce

I'm ashamed to say, but until just now, I had never, ever, heard of this battle.

Also, I'm all for celebrating Canadian(ish) victories, but this name just doesn't sound as nice as the other two, especially with the word farm.

However, if we ditched the word farm (like we ditched the word "Heights" for HMCS Queenston), I suspect we'd have a copyright lawsuit with someone...

Little historical tid-bit here: The Battle of Crysler's field (alternate name) was fought on November 11, which is why at Upper Canada Village, near Cornwall, ON, where the battle's monument is located, the ceremony is joined with the Remembrance day ceremony, but a distinct part of the ceremony specifically references the battle.

Lumber said:
Also, I'm all for celebrating Canadian(ish) victories, but this name just doesn't sound as nice as the other two, especially with the word farm.

It still has a nicer ring, I think, than USS Cowpens...

whiskey601 said:
Is steel even being cut for these?

Not yet, as far as I know.  The shipyard on the west coast had to take care of a large upgrade to its facilities in order to be able to handle the JSS and other ships awarded.  I'm not sure if they're done that yet or not.

Back