• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

18358724_1369657473087563_3914969596689182139_o.jpg

Holy crap! An actual catwalk in front of the bridge!!!! Has the world gone mad?

FSTO said:
Holy crap! An actual catwalk in front of the bridge!!!! Has the world gone mad?

Pretty standard on commercial structures of that type, FSTO. How else are you going to clean the bridge windows safely? Just ask the sigs whose job it is how they would like to do that hanging from bosun chairs at that height.  ;D

Just for an additional visual confirmation, here are some modern merchant ships superstructure pics - complete with catwalks for the bridge windows cleaning.  ;D

Remember, the merchant navy couldn't care less about radar cross-section.

Attachments

• 28051909-Cargo-ship-anchored-in-port-side-view-of-ship-s-superstructure-Stock-Photo.jpg
    28051909-Cargo-ship-anchored-in-port-side-view-of-ship-s-superstructure-Stock-Photo.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 214
  • unison-power_9579406_1452615.570x1140.jpg
    unison-power_9579406_1452615.570x1140.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 152
  • stern-view-of-ship-with-superstructure-hull-high-in-water-gangway-B871P0.jpg
    stern-view-of-ship-with-superstructure-hull-high-in-water-gangway-B871P0.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 172748094.jpg
    172748094.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 94-Star-America.jpg
    94-Star-America.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 145
Oldgateboatdriver said:
Pretty standard on commercial structures of that type, FSTO. How else are you going to clean the bridge windows safely? Just ask the sigs whose job it is how they would like to do that hanging from bosun chairs at that height.  ;D
I just remember all those years with our crappy windshield wipers on all of our warships and how nice it would have been to be able to send the lookout out to clean the bloody things off without having to get a man-aloft chit!

Colin P said:
Generally the guy using the catwalks still gets a safety harness

Why? There's usually a rail and it's usually the same height as every other rail on the ship.

Walking out to wipe windows or soogee shouldn't be a problem.

Only ever worn or seen worn harness if you're working above the rail, say painting or fixing wipers.

Sometimes they even get a brilliant idea and the stick the wipers on upside down... Which is great till they get jammed up with dirt and paint chips.

Colin is from the civilian side of things.

The squeegee guys that wash the skyscraper windows are on a solid platform with a proper height guardrail, but they still have to be harnessed. It's called Workplace Safety Regulations and merchant mariners are bound to follow the ones from their country of origin, and the Canadian ones while in Canadian waters.

And if the civilians do it for safety reasons, we really should too, unless there is a specific operational reason to ignore them in a given situation. We used to be quite slack about it, but a ship is basically a residential building interspersed in an industrial setting. We've gotten more serious about workplace safety in the last say 30 years, and it is quite appropriate.

Look at the Resolve mast in the picture: pretty safe set up, right. Yet, anyone going up there would require the man aloft safety precautions to be taken, including harness and a person to tend to him/her from below.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Colin is from the civilian side of things.

As am I  8)

He and have even sailed on one ship in common (Though not at the same time).

Fall restraint on a bridge catwalk may be a policy local to some ships or some employers (possibly with good reason, such as a low or missing guard rail, possibly a paranoia policy) but it's not a universal requirement, and it's not a requirement in any of the appropriate safety regulations.

Good sense still needs to apply, it's probably a bad idea to wash the windows during a hurricane, but looking at the picture, assuming the weather is good, walking out on to the catwalk on the resolve boat to wash the windows shouldn't require any sort of additional fall protection (I assume it'll be lloyds classed, they define a handrail as 1m or higher)

If being able to wash the windows is impressive, just wait till the navy catches up to buying a cyber chair bridge.

Already being slide onto the hull

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18403827_1369657483087562_3767909629346826284_o.jpg?oh=839f9bb01b7c1b02bde9fbd7df56f7ea&oe=59B986D3

I remember reading somewhere the RAS system had also been delivered and will be installed soon. While I realize it was a conversion and not a complete from scratch build, Resolve is looking to be the success story here in ship building.

Underway said:
The Globe and Mails review of the Davie Resolve project.  Not so glowing.  My favourite quote "We inherited a turd".

The Liberals wanted to get out of it because the Conservatives initiated it, no wonder they're calling the contract a "turd". I couldn't care less what dealings are behind the scenes or if the company is owned offshore. We should be getting a fairly nice ship with loads of capabilities including starting to refuel our own ships again years before we get our own tankers built by Seaspan.

Chief Stoker said:
The Liberals wanted to get out of it because the Conservatives initiated it, no wonder they're calling the contract a "turd". I couldn't care less what dealings are behind the scenes or if the company is owned offshore. We should be getting a fairly nice ship with loads of capabilities including starting to refuel our own ships again years before we get our own tankers built by Seaspan.

I'm with you 1000%.  It's just sometimes good to take a different look at things.  I think the whole article is because the Navy quite rightly backed the gov't into a corner on this.  And good for us for showing some political gonads for a change.

I thik he may have taken one for the team, sacrificing himself to ensure the Navy got the ship it desperately needs before the corporate knowledge of how to do things like RAS is lost.

NavyShooter said:
At the price of a VCDS?

Capability seems to have a cost....

Seeing as he was the one who had alcohol removed from the ships, I am not sure everyone is seeing it as a cost...

The phrase "...inherited a turd" suggests that the so called "senior official" is a political appointee, and not a person with any care in the world about what the current, actual needs of the RCN really might be.
Second, I highly, highly doubt that the actual cost of a ship with the capabilities of Resolve, even if made in South Korea, would come in at 175 million quoted for the UK/NL tankers. These are two different ships altogether. In any event, buying a brand new build foreign vessel seems to be off limits for the RCN anyway, no matter how desirable, affordable, practical etc. Just not going to happen with our ****ed up system.
I don't give a rats *** who is privately funding the ship and at what interest rate, as long as the cost to the RCN remains within the agreements of the leasing arrangements. 

Of course this ship is expensive and overpriced, it's supposed to be. And I'm sure it will have it's deficiencies and faults plastered on every media outlet that enjoys that sort of thing. This is Canada, the land of scandal and graft,  and I am resigned to the fact this is just the way things are done here, and it has been this way for more than 50 years.

However, this ship will be completed on time, and everybody knows that despite the huffing and puffing from Irving, they could not have delivered a ship like that last year, and certainly not for the cost they have supposedly quoted, (unless they were planning to steal a ship from somewhere else.)  That claim from Irving is just total BS, and the G&M failed in their own "due diligence" on that one. If they could build or convert ships like that for the low price stated in the article, they would have more than just the RCN interested in what they have to offer.

Back