• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

MTShaw said:
I'm really annoyed that the federal government isn't taking federal fleet and Davie seriously. They seem to forgot the importance of merchant marine during WWII We could have 8 Davie built AORs for the price of two JSSs. I've always thought Davie and Irving should churn out their own classes of warships while us crunchy organic people should focus of CG and Arctic supply ships.

Why?, the federal government wants the capabilities that the JSS satisfies and Asterix doesn't. Asterix is also going to cost 600 million to buy when the lease is over making it a fairly expensive purchase if the government decides to even go ahead purchase.

Chief Stoker said:
Why?, the federal government wants the capabilities that the JSS satisfies and Asterix doesn't. Asterix is also going to cost 600 million to buy when the lease is over making it a fairly expensive purchase if the government decides to even go ahead purchase.

Thanks Chief. Sometimes my passion gets the the best of me.

Chief Stoker said:

You have a source for that contract interpretation, Chief.

I looked at all the references I can access and I can't find anywhere where there is any indication that after spending 540 million $ for ten years, the acquisition cost at the end of the lease is another 600 millions. It would make no sense to call such contract a contract for "one quarter" the costs of the Berlin's, when they are expected to cost about 2.1 billion each. And, if that was the case, I am sure that the other two yards would have pointed that total of 1.1 billion $ from the beginning as the "real cost".

I think you may be confusing with an overall total cost of $600 million dollars, which would make sense, with a 60 million dollars "residual" value to pay at the end of ten years [540 + 60 + total overall of 600 M$)

At any rate it's nice to see them doing some (I assume) dry hookups and getting used to RAS again.  The Tanker Wanker in me is happy.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
You have a source for that contract interpretation, Chief.

I looked at all the references I can access and I can't find anywhere where there is any indication that after spending 540 million $ for ten years, the acquisition cost at the end of the lease is another 600 millions. It would make no sense to call such contract a contract for "one quarter" the costs of the Berlin's, when they are expected to cost about 2.1 billion each. And, if that was the case, I am sure that the other two yards would have pointed that total of 1.1 billion $ from the beginning as the "real cost".

I think you may be confusing with an overall total cost of $600 million dollars, which would make sense, with a 60 million dollars "residual" value to pay at the end of ten years [540 + 60 + total overall of 600 M$)

The cost of Asterix is well over 600M and closer to 700M, that includes leased services 5 years with a option for another 5 year renewable. Civilians on board have been asked to commit to 10 years. Federal Fleet has stated that the design life and I highly doubt this is so of 45 years. I doubt that Federal Fleet will turn a fairly new ship over to the RCN for 60M after 5 years or ever after 10 years.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1527942-federal-fleet-services-holds-halifax-opening

jollyjacktar said:
At any rate it's nice to see them doing some (I assume) dry hookups and getting used to RAS again.  The Tanker Wanker in me is happy.

The picture shown is actually a dry hookup from what I have been told.

I figure they'll be practicing RAS approaches, dry hookups and keeping station until everyone is more comfortable with the moves.  They'll walk before they run.

News from Min. Qualtrough’s office that the JSS won’t start until 2018 at the earliest, which seems wishful. I imagine then that the ship won’t be dropped into the water until 2022. That means a min. of 5 years before we’ll have 2 supply ships unless something radically changes.
http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/medias-media/gp-pg/2017-02-28-01-eng.html

Chris Pook said:
Davie appears to concur

http://www.davie.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/DEFSEC-FOR-WEB.pdf

Nice catch! I would like to see some pics of the Good Life managed gym and fitness facilities. Is there an olympic sized pool and ice hockey rink too? 

In that presentation it lista the JSS at $1.25 billion more per ship ($C2 billion vs $C650 million)

Can anyone elaborate on the primary contributing structures or technologies which are pointed to in order to justify that price differential?

Many thanks in advance....

Cdn Blackshirt said:
In that presentation it lista the JSS at $1.25 billion more per ship ($C2 billion vs $C650 million)

Can anyone elaborate on the primary contributing structures or technologies which are pointed to in order to justify that price differential?

Many thanks in advance....

That's the PBO estimate is it not. I don't know if it justifies the extra cost but JSS has 2 props/ 2 engines vice Asterix's one, degausing gear, RORO deck, NBCD Citadel, íce edge capability, not to mention its a brand new ship and not a 10 year old conversion. Davie fails to mention all of that in their brochure it appears. Keep in mind that the 650M is for a 5 year lease, with a possible another 5 years and the purchase price that won't be cheap.

All I can say is that we have an actual ship in the water doing the RAS business in under 4 years after conception. Where are we with the JSS?

FSTO said:
All I can say is that we have an actual ship in the water doing the RAS business in under 4 years after conception. Where are we with the JSS?

We are still deciding what colour to paint the bunks.

Chief Stoker said:
That's the PBO estimate is it not. I don't know if it justifies the extra cost but JSS has 2 props/ 2 engines vice Asterix's one, degausing gear, RORO deck, NBCD Citadel, íce edge capability, not to mention its a brand new ship and not a 10 year old conversion. Davie fails to mention all of that in their brochure it appears. Keep in mind that the 650M is for a 5 year lease, with a possible another 5 years and the purchase price that won't be cheap.

This is the second time you quote numbers without source, and I would say, obviously without any knowledge of what is in the contract. To compound that, you also misinform on technical aspects.

Lets deal with contractual matter first. And I will confess: I have not seen or read the contract either - but I have negotiated and drafted that type of contract before and they are fairly standard (this Davie proposal may have been "novel" for dealing with government procurement, but it is done on a daily basis in industry), and I have access to specialized publications.

You are correct that the 2.1 B$ id the PBO figure - Davie says so on its own slide. The true cost could be higher - we won't know until the contract is let out and final tallying of the costs done. But just this week the government let out a 250 M$ contract to Seaspan just to do the final and detailed drawings on the new PROTECTEUR class. That is not giving me fuzzy feelings.

On the Davie side, you will note that they call the $650M "sail-away" cost. That is contractual term of art: It means that is the cost to Canada to buy the ship right now, as is, if they wanted to. So it is the true and final cost of the ship.

But it is a lease, which includes more than just the ship. It includes the salaries of 54 merchant mariner (36 at all time x 1.5 to get the industry standard rotation of personnel), the whole mechanical upkeep, maintenance repairs and risks associated with unforeseen breakdowns, together with full management of the platform, plus wharfage, pilotage and tugs costs, you can look up the list of what Federal Services will do as included in the cost in the slides. How much would all of that cost the RCN every year? You have to deduct that from the overall lease cost. Then you have to deduct the annual financing cost of Davie/Federal services (they incurred the $650M charge for building the ship, but recover partially year to year, so the "loan" has a rate of return - since it is a"loan" to the Government of Canada, that rate is likely lower than the market rate).

Now, the info I have seen on the contract states overall total lease payments of $540M for five years and $700M for ten years (option exercised). Based on my knowledge of such contracts, a back of the envelope calculation at full market rate would leave an acquisition payment of approximately $200M after five years and $120M after ten.

On the technical side now, and my first comment is not addressed to you alone here, but to the many people who still insist on calling the PROTECTEUR's JSS's. They are NOT JSS, the idea of JSS was abandoned after the first round in the early 2010. They are AOR's. This, BTW means that the new PRO will NOT have any RO/RO capability whatsoever. Those were original JSS requirements that were dropped all together. Second, the "edge of ice" thingy is an alleged requirement of the RCN that was purely imagined by it because they know dick about merchant ships. There is no such capability. All merchant ships can operate at the "edge" of an ice pack, and in fact, all can get into some ice - a lot more ice than the frigates or MCDV's, and yet those two types of ships go up in the Arctic at the "edge of ice" all the time. In fact, right now, there are about 20 large merchant ships pushing their way through the ice of the Gulf of St-Lawrence and the River, all the way to and from Montreal, in more ice than the PRO's will ever encounter at the "edge" of Arctic ice. None (well, maybe one or two) of them have had any modification whatsoever made to their design in order to be able to get into that ice.

Finally, Asterix was five years old (launched in 2010) when acquired by Davie. So, at the end of the first five year, she'll be 13 years old, and at the end of the ten years, she'll be 18 years old. No big deal, especially when you consider that it is only the hull that is five years older at the time davie acquired it: They stripped her interior of everything else, rebuilt the main diesel engine completely, put all brand new bow auxiliary propulsion system and all brand new generators, and all other electrical and mechanical equipment. The difference with a brand new built is insignificant and she is all new for all practical purposes. Besides, the cost of that "used" hull is part of the $650M sail-away cost.   

Asterix may not have all the bells and whistles the PRO Class will have, but I'm quite happy with what she does have.  We do badly needed her and if it were up to me I would be having Davies make up her sister too.  God knows how much farther PRO will be pushed to the right and she and PRE will most certainly do so.

jollyjacktar said:
Asterix may not have all the bells and whistles the PRO Class will have, but I'm quite happy with what she does have.  We do badly needed her and if it were up to me I would be having Davies make up her sister too.  God knows how much farther PRO will be pushed to the right and she and PRE will most certainly do so.

100% agree

Not sure if this link has been posted previously - if it has mea culpa - lots and lots of |||| in the document
http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2016/mdn-dnd/D58-255-2011-eng.pdf

And this as well

http://publications.gc.ca/collections/collection_2013/dpb-pbo/YN5-50-2013-eng.pdf

I think there's a lot to be said for looking at adopting a fleet auxiliary concept (RCFA?) and doing this three more times (Obelix, Dogmatix and Panoramix?).

This phrase from the "JSS Audit" document of the DND Chief Review Services explains pretty concisely what was dropped from the original JSS requirements to fit in the new budget for two ships leading to the selection of the Berlin as base model, and confirms what I was talking about in my last post. To quote it, it states:

The need for 1,000 lane meters for vehicles on each JSS was eliminated. Space was reduced to accommodate only a limited joint task force headquarters and the mandatory requirement to move sea containers was reduced from 100 to five sea containers.

Not much of a "JSS" left after that. It's an AOR, so we should start calling it what it is instead of sticking with the civil service's obfuscating vocabulary aimed at never having to admit that they are delivering to Canadians a lot less than they originally promised - and for a lot more money than planned.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
This phrase from the "JSS Audit" document of the DND Chief Review Services explains pretty concisely what was dropped from the original JSS requirements to fit in the new budget for two ships leading to the selection of the Berlin as base model, and confirms what I was talking about in my last post. To quote it, it states:

The need for 1,000 lane meters for vehicles on each JSS was eliminated. Space was reduced to accommodate only a limited joint task force headquarters and the mandatory requirement to move sea containers was reduced from 100 to five sea containers.

Not much of a "JSS" left after that. It's an AOR, so we should start calling it what it is instead of sticking with the civil service's obfuscating vocabulary aimed at never having to admit that they are delivering to Canadians a lot less than they originally promised - and for a lot more money than planned.

Tis the Canadian way, no?

Back