• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Colin P said:
Other than the Resolve are there any other AOR designs in the West that are newer and significantly different than the Berlins? Even the Brits were planning 5 different classes of ships to do what we plan on one.
Are you talking designs or ships that have been built? If designs you can see here that there is an AOR version, which I imagine could be ordered in different sizes.

http://www.bmtdsl.co.uk/bmt-design-portfolio/auxiliaries/bmt-aegir-logistic-support-vessels/

Looks like a mix of the Berlin and Resolve. The good news is that things we like in the Resolve can be added to the Berlins and make sure they don't add things we don't like.

Chief Stoker said:
People have said that its a political thing we are not optioning a second ship however I wonder now if there is other considerations in play.

If you are able Chief Stoker can you elaborate?

Underway said:
If you are able Chief Stoker can you elaborate?

Not really but one has only to look at the dozens of contractor trucks on NB jetty to form a picture.

Chief Stoker said:
Not really but one has only to look at the dozens of contractor trucks on NB jetty to form a picture.

Ah.  The new baby may be teething...

I imagine FMF is very upset that they aren't getting the OT to work on her... and of course not getting the free coffee and soup while hanging out in the mess for coffee breaks.

Underway said:
Ah.  The new baby may be teething...

A little more than that. There was a reason why she was sent down to Halifax during Christmas before the new year.

This article suggests the ship is is receiving a weapons fit and sensors, and is based on supposed comments from the Commodore : https://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/manufacturing/canadian-navys-new-resupply-vessel-one-major-problem-208488/

whiskey601 said:
This article suggests the ship is is receiving a weapons fit and sensors, and is based on supposed comments from the Commodore : https://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/manufacturing/canadian-navys-new-resupply-vessel-one-major-problem-208488/

They are installing radars but no CWIS as of now. The weapons they are talking about are probably .50 Cal mounts.

There is nothing the new contract with RCL that would provide for a CIWS for Resolve/Asterix anyway.

In photo's I have been watching the ship carefully. If there is ever any intent to use this ship other than a civilian chartered supply ship, it seems to me they would need to fit a secure ops room in the space, a decent radar fit, maybe some EW gear, soft kill and decoy launchers would be nice to see.  (I'm not sure even the JSS/Berlin will have much of that once they hit the water sometime in the next 200 years.)   
edit: and if they go with that sort of equipment fit, the RCN may as well just buy the thing.

When I had a visit aboard RFA Wave Ruler in Martinique, I was shown the 30mm Goal Keeper on each wing as well as Dillons on each Bridge Wing.  I was told, IIRC,  that the civilian crew were trained on how to operate/maintain the gear for those times that there were no military personnel embarked.

whiskey601 said:
There is nothing the new contract with RCL that would provide for a CIWS for Resolve/Asterix anyway.

In photo's I have been watching the ship carefully. If there is ever any intent to use this ship other than a civilian chartered supply ship, it seems to me they would need to fit a secure ops room in the space, a decent radar fit, maybe some EW gear, soft kill and decoy launchers would be nice to see.  (I'm not sure even the JSS/Berlin will have much of that once they hit the water sometime in the next 200 years.)   
edit: and if they go with that sort of equipment fit, the RCN may as well just buy the thing.

Interesting, do you think Davie went ahead and put in the areas for a CWIS anyways so they could proclaim that it has the capability to make it look more desirable?

Could probably bolt one onto an Orca if there was desire and room. But self defence as you know is much more than guns. It implies detecting and analyzing a threat*,  and among other things not shooting up the ship beside you. So while I don't believe Davie is throwing the weapons fit as mere concepts, but more is required for it to be an effective concept in a "navy sort of way."
* even though CIWS is a self contained system.

whiskey601 said:

Speaking to the rumour mill, apparently the Asterix may not have been "finished on time" despite Davie's best sales pitch.  (Rumours, not facts... just watercooler talk here).

Stories about missing plumbing, large numbers of leaks and issues with some of the RAS equipment are starting to percolate.  I expect some of this is teething problems as is common in refits.  Some may be due to rushing the ship out the door to meet a timeline for their sales pitch.  Essentially, she might still be under construction...

Underway said:
Speaking to the rumour mill, apparently the Asterix may not have been "finished on time" despite Davie's best sales pitch.  (Rumours, not facts... just watercooler talk here).

Stories about missing plumbing, large numbers of leaks and issues with some of the RAS equipment are starting to percolate.  I expect some of this is teething problems as is common in refits.  Some may be due to rushing the ship out the door to meet a timeline for their sales pitch.  Essentially, she might still be under construction...

Sounds positively Irving-esque...

whiskey601 said:
Yikes. Hopefully the plug is in the drain hole.

Just want to re-emphasize this is rumour.  Don't need Davie coming for me in court...

More Asterix info.  She may not be ready/able to go to RIMPAC this summer.  Lots of work to be done.

FFS has a contract to perform. Davie better not be giving the Libs an opportunity to terminate for breach.

Back