• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application - How long does it take? (Merged)

Which recruiting centers are you guys going to?  If you want speed you might want to try going directly to the unit you wanna join.  For example, I'm going for the Queen's Own Rifles reserve unit and when i was handing in papers I went straight to them, 'stead of going to CFRC Toronto.  Later on in the application you end up having to go to the recruiting center but I got all my forms in, medical and all, inside about 3 months.  I dunno, maybe it's faster for people with less qualifications, like me, but you might wanna give it a try.  Also, how long do medicals take to go through Borden, cuz I handed mine in in mid December and the sarge in the office said I should hear from em in January, will I make the January 22nd SQ, does anyone think?

The huge difference between your testimonial and the rest is that they are applying for RegF positions...  The initial stages of Militia recruiting may appear to go by smoothly but it is still subjected in the end to the same process in Borden.  Your file may very well end up in the Quagmire or it could pass through very smoothly.

Been waiting 6 months so far, I guess this is the mid point of my wait?

jarko said:
Been waiting 6 months so far, I guess this is the mid point of my wait?

It depends...  Like Pieman said, he's coming up on one year's wait.  For me, it's been only 3 months, and I'm still a bit farther ahead of him in regards to clearances, interviews, etc.  He has a much more solid educational background than I, but as he did his M.Sc. overseas, the wait time was increased waiting for security clearance.  I used to work for the federal government, and my clearance only took a few weeks.  (6, maybe?  Not sure, but much less than 9 months a la Pieman).

In regards to being frustrated with the wait, shotguny2k, get used to it.  Yes, they need people like you, (and I, for that matter, MARS DEO) but it's still the federal government.  If you can't have patience, I would really suggest another career choice, as it doesn't get better once you're in.  It's just part and parcel with being a member of the CF.  Sucks, but c'est la vie.

T

Hi , i just got accepted into the Navy as a Naval Weapons Tech. I was sworn in on Dec.17 2004 and am on LWOP til my BMQ starts (January 15 2005). 

Dont be discuraged of the long waits, i waited a year and a half to get accepted, i thaught that day would never come but when it does its a great feeling. Trust me i feel your frustration i had to redo a lot of my tests because they were being outdated, Just keep your chin up and make sure you bug your recruiter lots!!! make sure they know that this is somthing that you really want to do!

Don't jump on this guy too hard because he is right. No matter how much you like and respect the people at the CFRC (as I do the ones I met when I was recruiting), the lethargy of the CFRC offices is legendary and inexcusable. There is some kind of systemic problem with the way they do things, and that is on top of the problem they have with getting files through the medical office in Borden. A year is normal and what tasks are they required to accomplish in that year? There is a reason why the Ombudsman decided to investigate. I hope a currently serving recruiting supervisor on the forum will rebuke me with all the facts and figures because this problem puzzled and pissed me off in a personal way for a full calendar year, and it continues to cost the forces recruits.

OatmealSavage said:
Don't jump on this guy too hard because he is right. No matter how much you like and respect the people at the CFRC (as I do the ones I met when I was recruiting), the lethargy of the CFRC offices is legendary and inexcusable.

I agree with you, to a point.   I am QL5 qualified and have absolutely zero training (already confirmed with the MA) to get into my trade which is distressed and offering bonuses.   I have been waiting well over three years.   Currently I'm waiting to head out to depot in Regina for the RCMP.   However, if the CF somehow magically calls me before I head out,   I will respond with an enthusiastic "Yes Sir!".

During my dealings with the CFRC I have dealt with some unbelievably lazy schmuck recruiters, and some absolutely awesome recruiters.   Luckily at the moment my recruiter is the latter, an excellent person who appears genuinely interested in getting me into the CF.   I have nothing but praise for this man.   So here I wait and hope to wear blue, but will be content with the red if thats how its going to be.

So for those waiting, I feel your pain.

DME

Going on a year for me, though a huge part of that is the clerk handling my papers "forgetting" about it all summer then putting it off  for 3 or 4 months before leaving the regiment and letting someone else finally send my stuff TO the recruiting center to start the process.

You need to smile and nod guys. Shit happens. Sometimes hammer heads get accepted with in months and their sent to basic. Sometimes guys who would be great soldiers don't make it in because of some obscure medical reason, or the army takes too long and they go off and do something else . Sometimes guys in the middle just get tossed around and play the waiting game.

When you go into a room you should always make sure you have a way out or know where the exit is right?
No matter how convinced you guys are about spending the rest of your life in the army (just like I am) you NEED to make sure you have an "escape plan".  Don't put all your eggs in one basket and expect the army to pick you up sooner or later. 
Make sure you have a stable and steady job to support you WHILE you wait and make sure you have a job ready for yourself if the army doesn't pan out.

Seriously. You might get dinged for some obscure medical condition and simply told NO your not allowed int he CF. You might get hurt on your basic training and have to leave the army. You could do 2 years and have to leave for some reason OR you could decide the army just isn't for you.  Take care of yourself.  Don't expect the army to always take care of you.

My papers somehow took a miraculous 3 months to get from the Seaforth Armoury to CFRC Vancouver.  Total time to walk between the two: 20 -30 minutes.

I guess the carrier pigeon got lost.

Good Day:
This has been a continous problem with people joining the Forces, so much in fact that Reserve units put a plan in motion to waive the bottleneck in the system, which appears to be CFMS in Borden. Unfortunately, there is a huge bottleneck here where files arrive on a desk and sit there for 8 - 10 months for processing.

This is a known problem, and as a result, the Reserves implemented a waiver system to state that if a member has problems with their medical file that they would voluntarily release from the Forces, without the ability to have recourse on the CF.

For those people waiting, I hear your pain, and I hope that you have the patience to wait it out, espically those going to the Reg F.

So this waiver system... does that not imply that we could have recruits on course that could pass out dead from a medical problem that was not yet caught because their file hasn't been reviewed?

Or does teh waiver also require a signature from an MD?

From what I understand the waiver system is only implemented in the case of recruits with no medical problems.  So if the MO feels that there is nothing that Borden may even take a second glance at, the recruit is put on course.

However, if the potential recruit admits to something (asthma, severe allergies to something, etc.) then they are not sent to their unit and they have to wait to hear back from Borden.

From what I understand.

The reserve medical procedure works as follows:

- applicant goes to recruiting centre/detachment and is processed through part one and two of the medical.  If the Medical Assistant determines that the applicant will most likely meet the Common Enrolment Standards (CEMS) for the CF, they indicate that the applicant is fit part two and forward the file to Bordon.  The processing clerk will then contact the reserve unit and indicate that the applicant is fit part two and the applicant can now take the physical fitness test.  Once they pass that and their background check comes back clean, their file is sent to the reserve unit for enrolment.  This can happens in less than one week.  Upon enrolment the applicant signs a statement of understanding that if it is determined at a later date that the applicant does not meet the CEMS then the applicant will be released.

- if the medical assistant does not believe that the applicant will meet the CEMS or if the applicant reveals a previous or current medical problem that warrents further investigation then the applicant's medical fitness must be determined by Borden.  This can mean a very long wait.

This procedure was only a trial for the Militia but is now applicable to all reserve applicants.  So far I have seen this procedure expedite the enrolment process for a few applicants.  Personally, I don't think it will help because unfortunately a lot of the people that are applying to the CF have medical issues.  Maybe it is the fast food.

That is it in a nutshell.

I have been waiitng for 10 months for this pre assessment thing,just wondering how long did it take you to get in the primary reserves or regular force?

by the way i am still waiitng......

I have been waiitng for 10 months for this pre assessment thing,
What pre-asessment thing? Do you mean you are waiting for your security clearance?

lol 10 months.....They are still stuck in first gear with my file..its going on to 2.5 years now december 2005 will make it 3...

so good luck and may your waiting be more fruitful than mine.

peace

PARAMEDIC said:
lol 10 months.....They are still stuck in first gear with my file..its going on to 2.5 years now december 2005 will make it 3...

so good luck and may your waiting be more fruitful than mine.

peace

And why has it taken this long?

well if you really want me to get into detail about the efficiency of the recruiting process, I will decline the request as it will just get me riled up and bring back horrible memories of how they have been on the ball with my file.

But im on the home strech now...waiting for my presec to clear, and being from a scheduled country doesn't really help, because I have been living here for 8 out of 10 years required.

I have been waiting for this a loong time now and will continue till I get the green light.

The more you deny me something the more I want it. lol

It will surely be a sweet day when I get the call.

Back