• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application - How long does it take? (Merged)

Well by today,I have been waiting for a year and a couple of days.

Is it appropriate to call my local recruiting center and ask about the status of my file?

Hi,

I love throwing this story at you guys.    ;D 

Went to the Recruiting Center(6 Pers Depot, Toronto) on Mon, 3 Dec and was sworn in four days later on Thu, 6 Dec. Arrived in Camp Petawawa on 14 Dec for Basic Training. EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT guys  ;D

Of course, this was in 1956. Things have changed haven't they?

Drummy

Went to the Recruiting Center(6 Pers Depot, Toronto) on Mon, 3 Dec and was sworn in four days later on Thu, 6 Dec. Arrived in Camp Petawawa on 14 Dec for Basic Training. EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT guys 

..... I think a lot of people wish it was 1956 right about now... :)

I heard of a guy getting into basic within 2 weeks of application, year or two ago... *sighs*

Cheers

Drummy,

A year later, in 1957, I went to 6PD on Monday and was sworn in three days later. About ten days after that I was on a train bound for the RCA Depot in Camp Shilo, Manitoba. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Old Sweat said:
Drummy,

A year later, in 1957, I went to 6PD on Monday and was sworn in three days later. About ten days after that I was on a train bound for the RCA Depot in Camp Shilo, Manitoba. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Old Sweat,

I laugh sometimes, but I often refer to that period as "The Good Old Days".   $98.00 per month, room, and all the food you could eat, 25 cent cigs and 10 cent beer in the wets. Because I was single, $25.00 was automatically sent to my mother every month. She didn't need it and sent it back to me. At the end of every month I had $5-10.00 left.   After 27+ yrs and getting paid as a Sgt, at the end of ecery month I had $5-10.00 left. It's all relative isn't it?    ::)

Drummy

You know, I remember reading a study that was done about attrition in basic training. The study was conducted back around 1975.

Interestingly enough, the high attrition rate was partly due to the fact that the process was so fast that in three-four weeks people were processed and enrolled and on their way to basic training. The scope and magnitude of what they had done had not hit them until they were in training.

So, process too fast, people unhappy. Process too slow, people unhappy. I wonder if there's a middle ground?

Thoughts, anyone?

I will post some statistics tomorrow that breaks down the wait times to percentage of applicants from 2003/2004.  Some of you may find it interesting.

kitrad1 said:
You know, I remember reading a study that was done about attrition in basic training. The study was conducted back around 1975.

Interestingly enough, the high attrition rate was partly due to the fact that the process was so fast that in three-four weeks people were processed and enrolled and on their way to basic training. The scope and magnitude of what they had done had not hit them until they were in training.

So, process too fast, people unhappy. Process too slow, people unhappy. I wonder if there's a middle ground?

Thoughts, anyone?

My thought ?

I had a quick enrolment(4 days) and after 27+ years decided it wasn't for me.    ;D

Drummy

Try to remember everyone that our security clearances are done by another civil service organization - CSIS - and that they take their time (like the rest of the civil service).  Big downside if you're from a scheduled country - I'd imagine doing a deep background check might take awhile depending on where you're from - that is, depending on when they get around to actually starting it...

MM

Thoughts, anyone?

Copy what they do down in the United States.

They don't screw around with long waiting times and they can crush us like a bug if they wanted.

Lebanese Canadian said:
so if i call them and ask whats taking them so long,will they answer or will they say they have no idea.

All the CFRC/D can tell is that your pre-sec is in progress.  DPM Sec 2 only answers "in progress" to our queries.

I started my application in Jan 2005, I did my aptitude test on fed 3/2005, i went back and did my medical
mar 3/2005. went back mar12 to do my p/t test as well as my interview. My medical was 6 weeks on the day to come back, my name was added to the merit list on April 4/2005, I am applying for artillery field/ full time. Can anyone tell me how long it should be before i will get a letter or my call. thanks,

it all depends where you stand on the merit list. ie. how good of an MP score you have. If you have a good MP score then you will get a call within the first 1-2 months.

WELL IM NOT SURE WHAT I GOT FOR A SCORE, HE SAID I DID REALLY GOOD AND THAT EVERY TRADE WAS OPEN TO ME, BUT I WENT INTO ARTILLARY BECAUSE THERE WAS HA HIGH DEMAND.

I started my application back near the end of 2003 - Granted I was applying for Reserves and I had previous service, but then, fortuitously, the CFRC had my application saying I wanted to join the Reg's. When he asked me if I wanted to consider the Reg's I said yes. It just made sense. (I am very thankful for that little mistake.)

To make a long story short, I just did my fitness test and passed. Of course. ;D

Now I wait for merit listing and the boards. I'd rather it be sooner than later, but I'm not giving up no matter what. There is no other employer in Canada as good as the CF if you ask me. Don't believe me? Go work in IT for a few years and see what kind of employer loyalty is out there. Employer's are only as loyal as a dollar is thick.

I continue to jog and work on my fitness, and if I ever get some 'extra' money I will take more MOC related courses before going in.

Okay, my lil' story is over for now.

thanks all, i did the aptitude test a year ago and now im still waiting,i was hoping to get a job this summer but i guess not.

by the way,does the police force have a reserve force or student jobs or something?just wondering heard some rumours...

The RCMP has auxiliary memebers. However when I spoke to an RCMP member about it she said it is a waste of time to become an auxiliary member if you ever want to become a cop because they have to have all the same entry tests (in other words, why not go all the way). I don't know about every city but I know the RCMP detatchment in mine has a long waiting list to become an auxiliary and if somebody applied this month it would probably take a year before they acually become an auxilary. They don't get paid, they are just volunteers. They are trained on the ASP and pepper spray and have to log 300 hours a year (I think it's that many).

Back