• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying from outside Canada (Merged)

Welcome to Army.ca. Start by reading older relevant threads and trying the Search Function. There is a ton of information on this Site. Almost any question that you may have, and many that have not even occurred to you yet, has been answered already.

CanadianInTexas,

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm a Canadian University student studying in Rhode Island, and I'm planning on taking the DEO route into the CF upon my graduation. Like you, I haven't seen too many posts on here about Canadians applying to the CF from The States. Thanks for starting this!

I've hugely enjoyed my time in the States, but it's been frustrating not being able to move forward with my CF application since, well, I need that degree first and ROTP doesn't exactly cover American Universities! I'm curious, do you plan on moving back to Canada before joining the CF? Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the tip on the timeline for the FBI background check and for starting this thread. I'm definitely curious as to how your situation pans out, hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out.

Best of luck!

pushurlimits said:
Like you, I haven't seen too many posts on here about Canadians applying to the CF from The States.

CDN in TX said:
I was born in Canada but have lived in the United States for almost 11 years now.

Finally have an update! I recieved my FBI background check yesterday in the mail. This was 17 weeks which makes sense if you take the 13-15 week waiting time from the FBI and add 2 weeks for Christmas and News Years. Next step for me is to scan and send it to my recruiter

Hello,

I am a 24 year old Canadian citizen who was born and raised in Lebanon (dual citizenship).  I’ve studied at the country’s top University (AUB) and earned a dual degree in Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science with a very good academic record.  I also earned a minor in Math.

I’ve been working for a year as a Digital Project Manager in Lebanon, communicating with multiple teams in different countries.  My mother tongue is French, and I did my undergraduate studies in English.  I also speak and write Arabic.

I found my job didn't have much value, so I recently resigned to relocate to Canada. I will arrive on the 21st of March and will reside there for good.  I will apply to the Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Officer position: I think I'm more than qualified for the position, and am really looking forward a career in the military.  I also think this job will suit me a lot.

I want to prepare all the necessary documents before my arrival, and want to know approximately how long it would take from the moment I contact the recruiter to receiving the offer so I can plan the coming months better.

It would be an immense privilege for me to join the Forces.  [:)
Can anyone give me some advice to make it happen as fast as possible?

Thank you for your help,
Raymond

rfh15 said:
I am a 24 year old Canadian citizen who was born and raised in Lebanon (dual citizenship).

Security Check/Level Superthread (incl dual citizenship) - Check Here First 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/1399.25
35 pages.

Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Pre-Assessment
https://army.ca/forums/threads/118362.0

Birth Certificates and Citizenship (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/17749.25
2 pages.

Security Clearance For a Person Living Abroad 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/121568.0

Living Abroad before Joining Reg/Reserves?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/104071.0

DAA said:
But if you were subject to a "Pre-Security Clearance Screening", then depending on the countries which are involved, the process can take from 6-18 months and sometimes longer.

Background Check (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/97476.50
3 pages.

etc...

rfh15 said:
I will apply to the Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Officer position:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+Electrical+%26+Mechanical+Engineering+Officer&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=emK9WMjfFOmM8Qfwk6igCg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+EME&*

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Having lived in a different country, you are in for a long wait. From your time of application to BMQ, you can probably expect 1.5 to 2 years to pass (especially since Lebanon in a non NATO country). I am going through the same process.

You were born and raised in Lebanon for 24 years of your life but you have a Canadian citizenship? Interesting.

rfh15 registered on 06 March 2017, posted fifteen minutes later, and was last active very early the following day.

Well if he's as committed as he says he is then he should be back. I'm quite curious about it to be honest.

jrogalew said:
You were born and raised in Lebanon for 24 years of your life but you have a Canadian citizenship? Interesting.

Why is that interesting?  Because he is a Canadian citizen, perhaps without ever setting foot in the country, or because of the country that he is living in?  What if he relayed the same story, however, instead of Lebanon, it was the United Kingdom?  Back a few decades, when I was going through officer training, one of the other officer candidates was in the same situation.  He was born in the UK, with a Canadian/Brit dual citizen father who lived and worked there and a Brit mother; he attended uni in the UK; he had never resided in Canada before he applied to join the CF;  he was processed while still living overseas, was accepted and moved to Canada for the sole purpose of starting BOTC complete with the Limey accent.

Well that is interesting then isn't it?

I have a dual citizenship as well, the second being Polish. I've lived in Canada since I was 2 years old and I am 27 now. This isn't a civilian job and I feel like in order to keep it functioning as a Canadian army you want recruits that have some kind of reason for joining it other than, and I quote:

rfh15 said:
I think I'm more than qualified for the position, and am really looking forward a career in the military.  I also think this job will suit me a lot.

A feeling of being entitled to joining the Armed Forces just because you are a Canadian citizen on paper is wrong. You don't see me rushing to join the Polish Armed Forces because I like going there on vacation and like their international football team. So I don't really understand the appeal for somebody who grew up in an arguably different culture, wanting to spontaneously join the Canadian Armed Forces to serve Canadians and protect our freedoms and values. Seems like people are joining up for the wrong reasons, just because it "looks good" and "I wanna".

I've essentially lived here all my life and fully appreciate what Canada has offered me thus far; opportunities that I would not have had growing up in Poland. As a civilian I have a sense of pride and a sense of duty. I think there are some inherent qualities that fully assimilated Canadians have that are essential to fostering a positive reputation for our military; a sense of belonging and a sense of a common goal that can be best understood by individuals that spent a good portion of their lives here.

rfh15 said:
It would be an immense privilege for me to join the Forces.  [:)
Can anyone give me some advice to make it happen as fast as possible?

How can you understand the immense privilege if you have never even resided here?

Simply put, it honestly doesn't make sense to me for somebody who has never resided in a country to want to join their military. "Oh! Canada looks good! I think I want to go fight for them." Its a good thing you can't claim citizenship status in any country of your choosing, otherwise we'd all be fighting for Switzerland.

Those are my 2 cents on the matter. I do however fully appreciate the right to sign up and I am not trying to discourage anybody, regardless of where they live and where they have lived, from applying. I simply don't understand the motives that in my opinion are false to begin with.

People join for a variety of reasons.  I know a few Brits ex military who have come over exactly because of Canada looks good! And wanted to keep serving beyond what they could back home.  They all served with distinction regardless of their motivation. 

I don't care why people join.  I care about how they serve.

Remius said:
People join for a variety of reasons.  I know a few Brits ex military who have come over exactly because of Canada looks good! And wanted to keep serving beyond what they could back home.  They all served with distinction regardless of their motivation. 

I don't care why people join.  I care about how they serve.

Well said, and I agree that everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves regardless of their reasons for joining.

I will echo what Remius said.

Many Canadians have joined the Armed Forces of other nations as well. Thirty thousand Canadians joined the US Armed Forces during the Vietnam War. Many Americans came north during the Second World War and joined before the US was invited to participate directly by the Japanese.

Hundreds of thousands of immigrants come to this Country every year. What is "the appeal for somebody who grew up in an arguably different culture, wanting to spontaneously" immigrate? And there's likely nothing spontaneous about this for either immigrants in general or rfh15.

rfh15 has Canadian citizenship for a reason, and is most likely far from ignorant about this Country. Whatever his personal reason for wishing to join, he is as welcome to do so as any other qualified applicant. He would not be the first person with a Lebanese background to do so, or to die in service to Canada as one did not many years ago in Afghanistan.

Lastly, nowhere does he indicate a "feeling of being entitled to join(ing) the Armed Forces". Nowhere. He states quite clearly that it would be an "immense privilege", and I am more than happy with people who see it that way, and who display a little bit of humility like that.

I wish him well in his quest, because he can make a solid contribution to this Country, and I look forward to more of his posts.

Hi everyone, I have a couple questions that really need answering, but I'll give a little background info first because it might or might not help.
I'm an 18-year-old currently living in India, we had to move to a warmer climate due to my dad's spinal surgeries. I moved here in Aug 2012 with my parents and it's almost 5 years now. I have a dual citizenship in India but my primary is Canada and I'm on track to finish high school by March of 2018.
My concern is will the forces even consider my application (because I've been out of country for so long)
If it will, then I'll have to send all my paperwork from India, I mean, there's no recruiter nearby, is that possible?
I know that if I apply today, there's no way that my application would be processed my March next year anyways so when do you guys suggest I send my application? Also if you could list the current standard for people getting into the infantry trade out of high school, just so I know what I'm up against. Any help would be highly appreciated because I've put all my money on joining the army and I have no backup plans whatsoever with regards to what I'd do after high school if this doesn't work out.
Thanks

I already have a previous question merged it. I must have forgotten it was there. Thanks.
But if you could also provide a basic idea of what I'm going up against with my trade choice and age.

And also suppose I were to apply today and everything gets cleared out by next year and an appointment is scheduled before March 2018, can I have it changed or not?

There are threads that cover all aspects of the recruiting process, including security checks and timelines. Look in the stickied "Common Topics" threads at the top of each subforum.

Yes, it'll take you a bit of time to work through those, but you'll learn more in the process, and save others from duplicating answers and therefore limit clutter on this Site.

The Recruiting System is also cunningly designed to accommodate people other than Army.ca Site members, so go online and start applying.

Qapla!

Back