• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying to be a Medical Technician

jacchica88

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I am in the process of applying full time to the CF as a Medical Technician, I recently handed in my application and this Monday I'll be handing in the rest of my paper work, I am graduating from a Bachelor in Health Sciences (Honors) specialized in Kinesiology. I was wondering if anyone knows my chances of getting a position to be a medical technician with the CF?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

crystalBall1.jpg

If you get the required score on the CFAT, get through the medical, background check, etc and meet all the requirements, your chances are as good as anyone else.

Hey PMedMoe, thanks for the quick answer, one more question, do you know after I complete the application, how long it takes for them to make a decision? and also, do you have any idea if there is a BMQ course starting any time soon? like this summer or anything like that?

Thanks

All that is something you have to discuss with the Recruiting Centre.

MM

Thanks Medicineman, I'll be sure to ask them on Monday when I stop by to finish up my application

Do you know after I complete the application, how long it takes for them to make a decision?

In my situation, after applying in December, i have still not received an offer for this fiscal year however, i was told that i have been selected for my trade (Med Tech).

I'm hoping I will be sent to BMQ no later then August. Fingers crossed.

Prepare yourself to wait patiently for there are many variables that will determine the length of your application process.

Cheers.

They are full of poo...

There are no positions right now. Find out when they open and apply again. (Because there is a backlog in the training system, thanks to the JIBC strike).

Pity you dont speak French

SFB said:
(Because there is a backlog in the training system, thanks to the JIBC strike).

The JIBC was never on strike, it was the BCAS Paramedic work force (CUPE 873) on strike.  The union considered student practicum non-essential.  Precepting is slowly starting again.

Rafterman1 said:
The JIBC was never on strike, it was the BCAS Paramedic work force (CUPE 873) on strike.  The union considered student practicum non-essential.  Precepting is slowly starting again.

Looks like the red-headed orphans of the west won't be CUPE's problEMS  much longer:
http://apbc.ca/preleases/20100331cupe.pdf
( I suspect that, privately, CUPE National is breathing a sigh of relief. The headache of representing Paramedics is not worth the dues collected. So I have been told, off the record. )

"The government decided against creating a bargaining unit specifically for paramedics."
Paramedics will get that when ( you know where ) freezes over. Police and fire have their own Separate Bargaining Units SBU's. 

BCAS: "PARAMEDICS ROLE TO BE EXPANDED AND ENHANCED":
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2010HSERV0025-000443.htm

"particularly in rural and remote areas"
"especially in rural and remote areas"
As much as we would prefer to hang around inside with the nurses, Paramedics in the city do not have time "to be expanded and enhanced". If Vancouver is anything like here, they probably stack calls. They call it high-performance EMS, or System Status Management SSM. It is measured by Unit Hour Utilization UHU: Transports/ Available UH
When the ambulance is not on a call, they want it on mobile deployment at "Walk and Don't Walk" to eliminate the "Chute Time". That's the official term for it and spelling. Like a racehorse in the chute, riders already in their saddles, just waiting for the radio spur.

"paving the way for the introduction of ‘treat and release’. Under ‘treat and release’, a paramedic called to a scene could assess a patient(s), provide appropriate treatment and advise of follow-up care instead of having to transport the patient to the emergency department."

"Treat and Release" is a relatively new term from the U.S. From what I understand, it means you get a bill, even though you refused to go. Even if someone else called the Paramedics. As it is now, "No patient carried = no charge."
California: "Treat and release (assessment) $150". You hear the term treat and Release most often associated with "Fire based EMS".
http://www.carlsbadca.gov/services/departments/finance/Pages/fees-billing.aspx
The number of "Treat and Releases" at SARS-Stock ( 2003) , or Papal visits ( 1984 and 2002 ), was staggering.

This is the interesting part:
"The new approach was based in part on a month-long consultation on options for new service delivery models identified in a report that looked at three options: closer integration within the health system, closer integration with other emergency service providers and opportunities for private-sector service delivery."

They managed to squeeze the word "integration" twice into one sentence. That is a powerful, positive sounding, word. Especially when compared to its opposite.
Below is the "service delivery model" I served under. It went into effect on 1 Jan 1967. I hope it never changes:
"The service is operated directly as a branch of the municipal government as an independent, third-service option provider, which means that the service is funded by the municipal tax base, and operates in much the same manner as any other municipal department, such as the police or fire department, but retains its complete independence from all other departments."
( Bolding mine. )

Rafterman1 said:
Time to get out of BC.

That sounds like a good idea.

mariomike said:
Looks like the red-headed orphans of the west won't be CUPE's problEMS  much longer:
http://apbc.ca/preleases/20100331cupe.pdf

"PARAMEDICS ROLE TO BE EXPANDED AND ENHANCED":
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_releases_2009-2013/2010HSERV0025-000443.htm

Healthcare in BC is so short staffed that the BC Liberals had to resort to this and they created this situation. $150 million to replace BC places roof, hosting the olympics BUT no money for healthcare and education. Go figure.  Personally, I didnt become a Paramedic in BC to work in a nursing home/care aid facility.  If I wanted to, I would have went to school for LPN or Nurse.  Time to get out of BC.

SFB said:
Find out when they open and apply again.

How would one find that out?

I was told the same thing about all Med Tech openings being full already, and was told by the RC that they won't know when it will reopen..  Or are you just saying it's just a waiting game until they say its reopen and then to apply then?

Just a sidebar as well; I thought MT was an 'in demand' trade?  With it being closed already, it would seem supply is exceeding demand  ::)

cn said:
Just a sidebar as well; I thought MT was an 'in demand' trade?  With it being closed already, it would seem supply is exceeding demand  ::)

The point of being an "in demand" trade is that the CF wants to fill vacancies as fast as possible. Its stands to reason that eventualy those vacancies will be filled by the focused effort. I'm not sure what your " ::) " is about.......

cn said:
With it being closed already

What do you mean "already"?  It was a red trade when I applied/got into it and that was over two years ago.  Most likely a while before that too.

Personally a didn't know it was closed, but I'm not surprised.  As for it re-opening, I would assume like any other closed trade...it'll open when it opens.

Good luck,
Kyle

oops, I meant :) not ::).... musta hit colon twice

I wrote "already" just because, from my understanding, trades opened at the begining of April and it seemed to close rather quickly.  Either way, the wait begins.

cn said:
I wrote "already" just because, from my understanding, trades opened at the begining of April and it seemed to close rather quickly.  Either way, the wait begins.

They probably had people already enrolled and done BMQ waiting on PAT Platoon for their QL3 courses.  They can only put so many people through at a time.

Back