• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applying to be a Medical Technician

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, but have enjoyed reading it very much, as for Med Tech trad being closed I went into the RC just before April 1st, and was told that there will be only one opening for NCM Med Tech. The recruiter even showed me a list with all trade openings.  BUT he did also show me 28 available spots for Med Tech's going through the NCM-SEP program. I just wrote my CFAT yesterday and scored high enough for Med Tech, My medical is scheduled for May 11/2010. So my advice is to get acceptance into one of the recognized colleges and go back to the RC, there should be plenty of spots open through this path.

BorderMedic said:
So my advice is to get acceptance into one of the recognized colleges and go back to the RC, there should be plenty of spots open through this path.

It also depends on the number of spots open on the Paramedic programs. I called Humber College late last year and was told that every year they have 2,500 applicants for the four semester ( Ontario ) Paramedic Diploma Program, but only 70 positions.:
http://www.humber.ca/program/07651

PMedMoe said:
They probably had people already enrolled and done BMQ waiting on PAT Platoon for their QL3 courses.  They can only put so many people through at a time.

You bet your bum they did.  With the Paramedic strike here in BC they even stopped running the Clinical QL3 portion at CFMSS (or whatever its called now I know it changed to something longer), so when JIBC got back under way it also kickstarted the Clinical portion back into gear.  But yes there was a considerable backlog.  Even out here at the JI, there is our Course doing our on-car right now in Winnipeg/BC, two other courses running at the JI School, and a third course coming out to start some time in May.  Needless to say its a little crowded here right now!

I wasn't trying to imply it was easy to just go and get an acceptance letter into a paramedic college, just saying that even though the NCM trade may be closed that there were plenty of spots open to NCM-SEP eligible people.

That being said you you have only checked one college? Public colleges fill up very fast, may I suggest a private one?

CTS Canadian Career College offers a 1 year accelerated AEMCA recognized paramedic program, they have 3 campuses  and they are recognized by the NCM-SEP program. Being private they fill up slower and can start a program whenever they have enough people.

Just a thought.....

BorderMedic said:
I wasn't trying to imply it was easy to just go and get an acceptance letter into a paramedic college, just saying that even though the NCM trade may be closed that there were plenty of spots open to NCM-SEP eligible people.
That being said you you have only checked one college? Public colleges fill up very fast, may I suggest a private one?
CTS Canadian Career College offers a 1 year accelerated AEMCA recognized paramedic program, they have 3 campuses  and they are recognized by the NCM-SEP program. Being private they fill up slower and can start a program whenever they have enough people.

Hello Bordermedic.
I called the associate dean of paramedicine at Humber College today. I have known her husband for many years. As high as it sounds, she re-confirmed the applicant to student ratio at Humber.
I then called CTS:
http://www.ctsccc.com/campus/ppcp.htm
The admissions & employment counselor confirmed they have NCM-SEP students. I forgot to ask her about the applicant to student ratio. It sounds like you may be in Ontario. If so, here is a list of PCP programs:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/schools.html

I already have my acceptance to CTS, and I am currently awaiting my CF interview. The applicant to student ratio at CTS is much lower, and last I checked they still had space. Isn't Humber in Ontario?

BorderMedic said:
I already have my acceptance to CTS, and I am currently awaiting my CF interview. The applicant to student ratio at CTS is much lower, and last I checked they still had space. Isn't Humber in Ontario?

Congratulations. I did not know you were that far along in the process.
Yes, Humber College is in North Etobicoke.
I checked your profile. I see you trained in Michigan. I wish there was North American standardization in the profession for labour mobility:
"While most Canadians can now benefit from full labour mobility, there are a small number of professions for which additional requirements are needed when moving to another province and/or territory. These exceptions have been established as necessary to meet a legitimate objective, such as the protection of public health or safety.:
http://www.actionplan.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=2517

Thank you,

But if you are willing to relocate I would definitely check out CTS. They have a Sudbury, Barrie, and North Bay campus.

cn said:
How would one find that out?

I was told the same thing about all Med Tech openings being full already, and was told by the RC that they won't know when it will reopen..  Or are you just saying it's just a waiting game until they say its reopen and then to apply then?

Just a sidebar as well; I thought MT was an 'in demand' trade?  With it being closed already, it would seem supply is exceeding demand  ::)

One of the CF recruiters told me that the CF recruiting website is outdated and that the recruiters have no control over the content. I specifically asked about the "In Demand" trades and they said the best thing to do is to ask them for updates as the website was wrong. I was also told to check for openings...on my initial inquiry, I was told Logistics Officer and Health Care Administrator Office was closed. On my follow-up email a few days later, Logistics was open again. Next reply, it's closed again! He said that there were a number of applications in the queue so the best thing to do was to apply and hope for the next round of opeings (which they could not forecast).

mariomike said:
I checked your profile. I see you trained in Michigan. I wish there was North American standardization in the profession for labour mobility:
"While most Canadians can now benefit from full labour mobility, there are a small number of professions for which additional requirements are needed when moving to another province and/or territory. These exceptions have been established as necessary to meet a legitimate objective, such as the protection of public health or safety.:
http://www.actionplan.gc.ca/eng/media.asp?id=2517

I could not agree more, I am not a big fan of how every province has its own standards and rules to abide by I wish the transition from one province/country to another was a little smoother. And although you can go from a US EMT-P (Paramedic) to a PCP in Ontario its not an easy process. Ontario does recognize the NREMT, but you still have to jump through a ton of hoops to get licensed.

I am also not a fan of how much the scope of work changes depending on the area you are in, like in my little town the PCP's can't even start a line, but they can in bigger cities. Meanwhile in Michigan an EMT-P can perform an RSI, among other cool things. Humans are built the same no matter where they are, it would be nice if the rules reflected it.

Good luck on your Paramedic program, Bordermedic.
I hope you keep us posted on your progress towards becoming a Medical Technician.
This is our Paramedic guide. You may find it helpful:
http://www.socpc.ca/newdirectives/Toronto%20Medical%20Directives%202009.pdf

P.S. I was reading your blog. Lots of good stuff in there!

mariomike said:
This is the Paramedic guide from the Base Hospital that we work with. You may find it helpful:
http://www.socpc.ca/newdirectives/Toronto%20Medical%20Directives%202009.pdf

P.S. I was reading your blog. Lots of good stuff in there!

Well thank you kindly  Mariomike, I took a quick look at it and noticed some differences with the cardiac arrest section. In the states (at least in Michigan) they can use adult pads on a 1-8yo as long as you put one of the pads on the PT's chest and the other directly opposite on the back. Also they always stop rolling with loss of vitals and start a 30min clock if I recall, not that that rule is always followed.

Oh and I appreciate you checking out my blog, I started that blog just as randomly as I started my medical career. I haven't paid it much attention lately I but will be getting back to it soon enough. I have a motorcycle race to medic for this weekend!

i applied for med tech around september last year, got a call around may saying i was in, and i start my training at st jean oct 2nd. cant wait

HI,

I recently finished my program, sent in my application for studying to be a paramedic and got it. I went to the recruitment center, and what the person gave me what to do in order to become a medical technician. Is there no such thing as medic in the canadian forces only medical technician?

Sorry to crush your dreams, but Med Tech is one of several Regular Force trades which do not allow you to OT to HUMINT.

Hey Mariomike, I was finally given an offer for Army Med Tech, which I promptly accepted, but when I went to swear in, they told me it would be for a Navy Med Tech instead and that I could have a few minutes to think about it, but if I didn't take it I was SOL, cause they were not taking any more Med Techs and probably not any next year either.

So I accepted it for what it was and was sworn in, I just started my medic training on Monday, I will do my best to update on here, and if I get a minute the blog as well.

I am also looking into changing my element to army at some point, I realize it doesn't change much for Med Techs, but I did always want to be army, and still would like to be some day.

BorderMedic said:
I was finally given an offer for Army Med Tech, which I promptly accepted, but when I went to swear in, they told me it would be for a Navy Med Tech instead and that I could have a few minutes to think about it, but if I didn't take it I was SOL, cause they were not taking any more Med Techs and probably not any next year either.

You got me thinking a mile a minute right now. I asked for Army on the app and during the interview.  I wonder if I am going into the Navy aswell for Med Tech if your right about the landforce not taking anymore. 

Your's is probably okay, either way if you accepted an offer your going as something, and nothing has openings anymore, which is why I had to take navy or nothing. They told me that by the time they got things sorted out army was full so they just switched me to navy, but didnt call me to let me know, and I couldn't switch cause all three are full. But like I said it doesn't change much for Med Techs anyway. Just personal preference really.

Back