• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

You don't even need a helo, put a rotary UAV in the hangar and now you've got a great ISR capability.

Too bad we don't have a smaller MH of the UH variety. A couple of Wildcats with Minigun and .50cal would be great for anti-piracy.

Dude, you're so out of touch with the preferred payload of the Pleaser-in-Chief ;)

Trudeau: Drop parkas, not bombs​

Dude, you're so out of touch with the preferred payload of the Pleaser-in-Chief ;)

Our duty as Military Professionals is to provide advice to our Political Leaders. Whatever they chose to do with that advice is up to them πŸ˜‰

MIO, MCT and HADR aren't even close to Full Spectrum War. The AOPS is far more suitable at all those OOTW we mostly do. It's far more suitable than a Frigate is.

It's actually better than a Frigate at MIO and MCT as it's got dedicated facilities for it, can carry better RIBs plus more of them, has cargo capacity, unlike the Frigate so it can actually carry all the mission PUKs we stuff in to random holes on the Frigate. It's got enough firepower to more than deal with any sort of Piracy threat.

Two SO RIBs armed with machineguns and a boat full of operators, the 25mm + small arms on the ship, + armed helo if we so desire is more than a match for any piracy threat.
Not to mention the Halifax's are getting long in the tooth and the CSC may be farther away than the RCN would like, in which case they may limit the number of deployments of the Frigates to reduce wear and tear.

If we send a Kingston to West Africa, you can be sure the AOPs is going as well and likely do most of the jobs better, although a Kingston could get into more places. In fact a Kingston and AOP's (with a helicopter, not Cyclone, likley Allied nation) would make a good set for piracy patrol. The AOP's could carry some extra RHIB's and dedicated security team/boarding party.
Yes they will be going there and elsewhere as per the concept of operations, more than likely with a Cyclone.

To be fair, winter in Syria is a REAL thing... I was shocked too when I had a Syrian friend at work describe winters in Syria actually being snowy and cold :oops:

I know a lot of folks made fun of JT for his donation of parkas and winter clothing to Syria. I did too I think.

BUT, turns out winter clothing while Syria was in a state of heavy civil war during the winter months was actually pretty useful. (Colour me shocked, still)

Attachments

• 201511595951200734_20.jpeg
    201511595951200734_20.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8
It'd still be nice though if he was able to focus on getting stuff like, y'know, clean water, for Canadians as well. Not saying that things Canada does abroad aren't important too, but how many of our own don't have the basics as well?

Is it really "replacing" if the Attack-class subs never actually get built? :sneaky:

They have already trialed the UAV that they will embark
View attachment 64430

It'd still be nice though if he was able to focus on getting stuff like, y'know, clean water, for Canadians as well. Not saying that things Canada does abroad aren't important too, but how many of our own don't have the basics as well?
This is going side ways a bit. But most things that Canadians are lacking is not because of lack of funds or resources but mismanagement.

Very true, just like our military, spending on First Nations is mismanaged on many levels. Hopefully the AOP's will "adopt/be adopted" some of the Coastal indigenous communities, so the crews and communities can form a bond.

Very true, just like our military, spending on First Nations is mismanaged on many levels. Hopefully the AOP's will "adopt/be adopted" some of the Coastal indigenous communities, so the crews and communities can form a bond.
That would be ideal for so many reasons. If that's what we want then they should be engaged to be a major part of the commissioning ceremony and asked to smudge each ship before they're floated up for the first time.

That would be ideal for so many reasons. If that's what we want then they should be engaged to be a major part of the commissioning ceremony and asked to smudge each ship before they're floated up for the first time.

The 280s had something like that with the namesake tribes. Hopefully they do something similar, or at least have some kind of Northern area towns/villages to partner with.

Dude, that smudging ceremony stuff is a Plains thing. I think that coastal First Nations have a different range of practises, which might be more appropriate.

Unless we're launching 'Prairie Schooners' of course ;)

Dude, that smudging ceremony stuff is a Plains thing. I think that coastal First Nations have a different range of practises, which might be more appropriate.

It could be a thing...

You do realize that Manitoba has an ocean coast, right? Churchill is in Manitoba. Regardless of what the custom it's the connection that counts.

You do realize that Manitoba has an ocean coast, right? Churchill is in Manitoba. Regardless of what the custom it's the connection that counts.
I'm straight up embarrassed to admit this, but I didn't realize Manitoba had an ocean coast... 😐

Back