• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

are there any hunters here?

darmil

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any other big game hunters in the CF?I havn't come across many over the yrs :bullet:

many members of the CF hunt. Many have stopped, for one reason or another.

I used to hunt white tail, but because of 1. lack of time, 2. Weapons registration (not my rifle usually), and 3. Just not worth the effort to try to get the time off, cause we are always in the field during hunting seasons.

Yes, there's actually quite a few in my unit - I try to go out with my father-in-law when I get the chance.  Thanksgiving week-end is always a good time to get a few days out in the bush moose hunting.

I'm trying to get out next weekend for moose.Its not rifle season in the area where i hunt yet. So im bowhunting  moose are in the rut now hopefully i might get a shot off :army:

I am an avid hunter, and also an outdoor writer, and booking agent. I have more "side gigs" related to the outdoors than you could imagine  lol

I've never had caiboo i'd like to try it don't know if i'd eat mountain sheep  :bullet:

I'm into caribou hunting myself. Usually with the father inlaw and one of his son in laws. This year all four son inlaws and the father inlaw are going to shoot some shite, uhhh I mean caribou. Mike, Caribou is much tastier than moose, not nearly as tough, the filet is perhaps the best meat I've ever had. I'd like to try the sheep, I bet it's good. I've done some bow hunting as well, not very good at it. Actually come to think of it, the only part of hunting I am good at is drinking.  ;D

I love the drinking part too lol ;D well hopefully I'll try caribou in the near future sounds tasty

MikeH said:
I've never had caiboo i'd like to try it don't know if i'd eat mountain sheep   :bullet:

Actually out here in the Rockies Caribou is considered 'poor eating'.  Now these are Mt Caribou and I assume that you guys are referring to "baren ground' Caribou.  As far as Mountan sheep, where we live they are mostly thin horn ie Stone Sheep.  There are Dall sheep north of us and Rocky Mt Sheep south of us.
However, I can absolutely assure you that there is nothing better than sheep ribs roasting over the camp fire.

There are 5  different types of caribou - mountain, barren ground, central Canada barren ground, Quebec-Labrador, and woodland. Woodlands are hunted only in Newfoundland.

I agree that caribou meat is the best that I have had yet.... I prefer elk and moose over deer. Mtn Lion is good too. Bear is not great, but better than I thought  lol

If you guys or anyone you know are looking for guided hunts and/or fishing trips, have a look at my site:  www.parchedmuskrat.com  I'll hook you up  :)

Great site Muskrat, I've actually been on there before, a crowd of us were thinking of doing a helicopter fly in fishing in Montana but it fell through. We hunt woodland caribou here in Newfoundland, we have great fun, going out rememberance day weekend, I'll post pics when I get back!

I've had the Quebec-Labrador...good eating....even on the BBQ is as tender as anything

Island Ryhno said:
Great site Muskrat, I've actually been on there before, a crowd of us were thinking of doing a helicopter fly in fishing in Montana but it fell through. We hunt woodland caribou here in Newfoundland, we have great fun, going out rememberance day weekend, I'll post pics when I get back!

Why would a Canadian take a hunting or fishing trip to the US?  They don't have anything that can compare to Canada.  I remember reading a few articles in the 'Western Horseman' as per pack horse trips in the western US.  They were just laughable compared to Alberta, BC or the Yukon.

Why would a Canadian take a hunting or fishing trip to the US?  They don't have anything that can compare to Canada.

Compare how? You're basing that on magazine articles?  ???

People hunt and fish for different reasons - often they enjoy going somewhere different...

Sorry, but that was an asinine thing to say....  ::)

I agree, people hunt or fish for many different reasons. I for one hunt in part because I love the sport side of it, and then again it is a strong family tradition to hunt. Plus all the great memories, can't forget about them. Every October 1 my father and I always go out Duck hunting then Partridge hunting in the afternoon. Always a good time, Deer and Moose though are more scarce around here (NB - Chipman) so you have to hunt pretty hard to fill that tag. And most people just don't have the time anymore, dang shame really.

Back