• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are There Reserved Parking Spaces on Canadian Bases ?

211RadOp said:
No. I was SSM 2 Sqn at CFSCE (the Sigs School). 1966 was a bit before my time in uniform.

I've known you since before you were housebroken; in 1966 you still were in liquid form.*

* For those who don't know, that is from a saying that probably goes back to the stone age: "I was in uniform when you were in liquid form."

Old Sweat said:
I've known you since before you were housebroken; in 1966 you still were in liquid form.*

* For those who don't know, that is from a saying that probably goes back to the stone age: "I was in uniform when you were in liquid form."

That would depend on when in 1966 he was talking about.  I was certainly in solid form for part of that year.  I may have been a blubbering mess whenever you showed up, but I did always like Mrs Old Sweat.

Visit Cold Lake, there are units there where nearly every WO in the hangar has a parking spot assigned to them. I'm not sure who started it, but it sure does create a lot of entitled nobodies.

Let me add my two cents on this issue....

First, designated parking spots can be a huge morale-buster.  There have been published papers and books on the topic.  While it might make someone feel good and privileged, it does nothing but create resentment for a lot of people.

Second, it somehow makes it seem like driving is always the right and only way to get around.  Of course, sometimes (maybe often) it is the most practical and efficient means.  But shouldn't we be doing things to encourage walking or finding some other way to move about?  I have seen the traffic jams at some bases at 4:00 pm (Petawawa comes to mind).  It's ridiculous.  Want to encourage wise use of resources and some fitness?  Get out of the car and walk or bicycle or share a ride with someone else. 

Associating a parking privilege as some sort of perk is thinking that is about 20 or 30 (or more) years out of date. 

Back