• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armour that fights back!

The Gues-|-

Inactive
Reaction score
http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/060214/npt/060214ai.htm

Army eyeing armour that fights back: Afghanistan threat

The Canadian army wants to buy and test a new high-tech armour for its military vehicles that would detect and intercept incoming rocket-propelled grenades.

The "active protection system" would use a sensor such as radar to identify an approaching threat and launch a countermeasure, perhaps a grenade, to either destroy or deflect it, said Lieutenant-Colonel Perry Wells, with the Department of National Defence and Canadian Forces.

This would happen 15 to 25 metres away from the vehicle and minimize collateral damage to the vehicle or any people near it, he said.

If successful, the new armour could give western armed forces the advantage against terrorists and insurgents armed with the ubiquitous RPG, which can penetrate most heavy armour.

Lt.-Col. Wells, a 25-year army veteran, said the need for the active protection system grows with the changing security environment. He will be sorting through bids from technology companies (the deadline for proposals was last Friday) as hundreds of Canadian soldiers land in Afghanistan this month.

About 2,200 troops will form a Canadian-led brigade in a region where the Taliban and their allies have been mounting a campaign of roadside bombings and suicide bombings against Canadian, U.S. and other allied troops. On the weekend, Taliban guerrillas planted a roadside bomb targeting Canadian troops but soldiers caught a man in the act. Last week, a roadside bomb slightly injured three soldiers and damaged one LAV III armoured infantry carrier.

While Lt.-Col. Wells said he doesn't know whether the technology would prevent future attacks from roadside bombs until it is tested, Chris Foss, an arms and artillery expert with Jane's, the London-based defence publishing and analysis group, said it's not likely.

"Most of our casualties are not caused by RPGs but improvised explosion devices such as roadside bombings, in which an active system won't help you," Mr. Foss said.

Lt.-Col. Wells said the military is hoping to the have the active protection system in use on its Mobile Gun System (MGS), armoured direct-fire vehicles, no later than December, 2010.

"It's a fairly aggressive timeline but it's a fairly important thing that we're trying to achieve," he said.

Sean Henry, a defence analyst and retired army colonel, said the new technology sounds promising but stressed the urgency of increased protection for Canada's troops.

"This is a whole new ballgame of warfare. The enemy is becoming a little more sophisticated, even though it's crude sophistication. They are becoming more effective," he said from his home in Ottawa.

"The Canadian Armed Forces should have been able to draw on this type of technology and should have been getting at it a long time ago. The only reason they didn't was because they had no money."

Money for the new technology is built into funding for the MGSs, which are now under development in the United States. More funds will have to be sought to equip the rest of the fleet if it proves successful, he added.

Military experts have charged that the armour currently on Canadian military vehicles is too light to survive on modern battlefields.

"[RPGs are] cheap to produce and easy to use so they're all over the place. But they're hard to defeat. Even the biggest tanks in the world, the RPG could put a hole in it," he said. "So our lightly armoured vehicles are therefore at somewhat of a risk. The idea is to try and mitigate that risk."

Mr. Foss said active protection systems are under development around the world -- including one that detects RPGs and launches a barrage of pellets, forming a "wall" of steel in the direction of the threat -- but none have made it to the field as yet.

Don't the Russians and Israelis have something like this already? I think the Russians have the Arena system and the Israelis have the TROPHY system, and I remember reading that the Israeli system is being designed for the Stryker LAV. Haven't heard much on the front of active armour systems, but I know a couple systems are already out there or are in the works.

I understand with the Arena system there is some concern for dismounted infantry nearby, not that the Russain really give a dam about their conscripts.

Colin P said:
I understand with the Arena system there is some concern for dismounted infantry nearby, not that the Russain really give a dam about their conscripts.

lol, yeah really what happens when buddy is walking beside it?

I think it's great that the military is working on a system that might enhance crew protection regardless of what kind of vehicle they're stationed in. On the other hand, the news release seems to be a blunt admission of how deficient the MGS is in terms of armour and how risky it will be deploying it in combat.

I heard that the system was tested last year in Wainwright  and cost us a Leopard C2.  Can anyone confirm?

The Gues-|- said:
http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/060214/npt/060214ai.htm

Lt.-Col. Wells said the military is hoping to the have the active protection system in use on its Mobile Gun System (MGS), armoured direct-fire vehicles, no later than December, 2010.

Money for the new technology is built into funding for the MGSs, which are now under development in the United States. More funds will have to be sought to equip the rest of the fleet if it proves successful, he added.

So i guess that means the conservetives are going on with the MGS project then. :-\
Also what country developed this system? ???

The US Army is converting the slat armor on Strykers in Iraq to reactive armor.
While this active protection system is a step forward it wont resolve the IED threat which right now IS the bigger threat to personnel and armored vehicles.

Back