• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Snipers?

Q.Y. Ranger

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there are any Armoured snipers. Say for Armoured Recce or something.

As far as I know, its an Infantry only course. I don't think any other trade has a need for qualified snipers anyways.

No.

There is only one place to find snipers and that is in the Infantry.

There is equipment that was considered "sniper" equipment.  The M2 .50 Cal when mounted in the 20mm gun mount on the Lynx was considered a Sniper weapon when properly bore sighted.  There were occassions when a tank would be used in the "Sniper" role, but that was not in the same way that one would employ an Infantry Sniper, more of an ambush role of Armour on Armour.

GW

Alright, thanks. I'm just in doubt about wether I should join Armoured of Infantry. Do any of you have any suggestions, about which you think is better?

Depends on what you are more interested in.  Armoured is looked at as being all vehicles, but Armoured Recce/Assault is very active doing much of what the infantry does.  Had a friend that was in the RCD's as a Sgt.  He said he did pretty much everything the infantry did but had the black beret.  Get as much first hand info. as you can from the guys that do the work. 

If you want a job though where you will have more opportunities to do black ops or the green equivilent then go Infantry.

DUCIMUS

If your thinking about going infantry just so you can be a sniper, just know that getting on the course is can take awhile(if you even get selected to go on it) an the course itself is very tough. Theres lots of threads in the recruiting an infantry forums on sniper training an what requirements you need to get the course.

Also, you do know that "Rangers Lead the Way" is the motto of the US Army's 75th Ranger Regiment, not the QY Rangers..

Does anybody know if there are any Armoured snipers.
There are not.

Q.Y. Ranger said:
Do any of you have any suggestions, about which you think is better?
Your question has been asked and it belongs here: http://army.ca/forums/threads/23460.0.html

Canadian.Trucker said:
If you want a job though where you will have more opportunities to do black ops or the green equivilent then go Infantry.
DUCIMUS

Cdn Trucker

Good thing you said to ask the guys that do the job.  Your above statement is full of crap.  The JTF and NBC Recce orgs recruit from all trades.  Infantry has no special status in getting into any of these "secret" organizations.  You may be surprised to find out that many Armour soldiers have gone into them.

GW

McG
There is a few Armour dudes with the  course. Most are JTF, some of us were put through the course when we were to go as a D$S troop. It cover most except the tracking and stocker. It was mostly adv shooting and tech.

Recce41 said:
McG
There is a few Armour dudes with the   course. Most are JTF, some of us were put through the course when we were to go as a D$S troop. It cover most except the tracking and stocker. It was mostly adv shooting and tech.
Then that would be markmanship trg. Firing (to include judging distances and observation techniques) are only half of the Sniper's job. The other half is stalking (to include tracking, navigating while lying on your belly, selection of a firing/ observation position, selection of an escape route...)
Do not use the term Sniper too loosely.

Jungle true.
In 94 the 2 Btl were short of snipers to go with us to Bosnia, Assault/ D$S troop sent 5 from the rifle team over to the 1st to learn to be spotters. But that when to the wayside. So most did just do, may I call adv marksmanship training. Firing to 900m, judgeing windage, etc. mostly as you stated the first part.

George Wallace said:
Cdn Trucker

Good thing you said to ask the guys that do the job.   Your above statement is full of crap.   The JTF and NBC Recce orgs recruit from all trades.   Infantry has no special status in getting into any of these "secret" organizations.   You may be surprised to find out that many Armour soldiers have gone into them.

GW

You're right, I wasn't thinking when I said that Infantry had a better chance.  However, I would still think that Infantry trades would have a bit more experience in certain areas and would seem more qualified.  They may not be, as JTF2 gives everyone an equal shot to see what they can do.  Just a guys opinion, don't take it as the solid truth.  If I'm wrong, I'll admit it...and this time, I was wrong.

We used armoured sniper,s during the Olympic,s and used tank(Leo)as a sniper's forward of defensive positions in Germany.It was never doctrine in the Armoured Corps.It was in the German Army

The British army use snipers in their armoured regiments - actually a lot of them. As I understand they operate from ATVs and on foot during an armoured engagement and pick off the enemy commanders. I am surprised that very few other armies use snipers in this way. I'd have thought that Australia, New Zealand and the Canadians (being Commonwealth countries) would follow British Army doctrine.

Aus-Tac said:
The British army use snipers in their armoured regiments - actually a lot of them. ....... I am surprised that very few other armies use snipers in this way. I'd have thought that Australia, New Zealand and the Canadians (being Commonwealth countries) would follow British Army doctrine.

Interesting concept.   I imagine that we don't simply due to Budgetary restraints.

I know that I am going to kick over an ants nest with this statement but...I knew a sniper-qualified Sgt in the Strats. I can't remember his name for the life of me...WO Ross, perhaps? (don't quote me on that) this was back in '90 or '91 when we were still in Calgary at harvey barracks.

i don' think it odd to have infantry instructors. On my Assault Troopers course half the instructors were from the PPCLI (1st Bn)

Slim

Slim

Back in those days some of those Small Arms Instructor and Sniper Crses were not Infanty 'only' types of Crses.  Many Cbt Arms types, with small arms interests, were able to get Crse Loaded on them.  The same went for the Demolition Instructors Crse.  Now, without the money, we see these Crses being Trade Restricted and seldom run.

Aus-Tac,

Where the snipers in the British armoured regiments actually black-hat wearing crewmen or were they infantry snipers operating in a combined arms battlegroup?  The whole sniper issue is evolving over here and I can't seem to keep up anymore, but a couple of years ago the Canadian LAV (mechanized) battalions that I worked with had snipers in their combat support companies.  On exercise at least with two of our mechanized battalions (I was a tank Sqn BC in Leopards) we certainly had snipers integrated into the all-arms team (tanks, infantry, engineers, mortars, artillery, TOW, etc).  Snipers from Infantry units have also been integrated into armoured reconnaissance squadrons as attachments.

Cheers,

2B

Thanks for all your replies. And i wasn't only thinking of joining infantry with the thought of being a sniper in my mind. I'm going Armoured Recce, and i was just wondering if they had snipers, seeing as in how the are reconnaissance, i just thought they might have snipers along side. Again, thanks for the help!

Mike

Back