• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Ideology -- what is it?

• Thread starter Thread starter strongchristian
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
sigpig said:
Nothing will change as this is how 'they' want it.

Hmmm, sounds kind of like joining a Mess in the military, doesn't it?  Each "new" generation wants to push the envelope because they perceive the 'old guard' to be upholding antiquated traditions that don't fit their personal tastes in music, dress or decorum. And eventually the ones that stick around become the old guard themselves, equally frustrated by the persistent challenges of the next generation.

And while I can understand the difficulty some people have adjusting to a well-moderated board with (perhaps) a fairly narrow arc of fire, perhaps one of the detractors could explain:

Why should those who refuse to use the search function (a deeply entrenched internet feature wherever you go) be spoon-fed information which has already been covered in detail and, often, linked from the FAQs?

Why shouldn't those who expose clearly erroneous information or opinions be shut down quickly, so that their posts aren't mistaken for truth by even less experienced posters or lurkers? Also, why should anyone be expected to entertain a "polite" and futile debate just to try and avoid hurting their feelings?

If the content and context of the board is in concert with attitudes and experiences in the Canadian Army, why shouldn't those who want to drag it outside the issued parameters be asked to post elsewhere?

If a poster doesn't wish to work within the stated Conduct Guidelines, why shouldn't they be given an opportunity to re-consider their approach and why they want to participate on Army.ca through the graduated warning system, even if their persistence may result in a permanent ban?

Lastly, why do so many people fail to understand that the best way to exercise "free speech" on the internet is to pay for their own web space and not try to subvert that paid for by someone else?

my only problem is, that i posted a public applogy for my attitude, and thanked the other mods, (ex-dragoon, Danjanou, muskrat89,recceguy and   Michael O'Leary   ) and other members like Gunnar (among others) who showed me my error, and corrected me using respect and Patience.
if you read this thread from beginning to end, you'll note that at the start i was a dick! and said things like the DS gave this site a bad name. i was talking about 2 experience i had that reflected poorly on this site. but since then, and in this thread, the Ds have been respectful, helpful, and clearly stated my error. my posts before were deleted, and when asked why they were deleted, that post was also deleted. one of the DS sent me a link asking me to report it higher up. not wanting to cause trouble i posted again. (about things being swept under the rug) of course, only the DS that deleted that post, and the three before (the apology, and question of the deleted posts) would understand what i was talking about.

the fact that in this thread i started out with the wrong attitude towards how this site is run, and then having DS telling me why i was wrong, and in their posts proving my statement wrong (that DS's were bringing the site down etc,) by being respectful, concise and to the point. that it's only fair that my post giving credit to them be left on.

i find it disrespectful that one DS would take the post down, when i'm giving credit to the others that are participated in this thread, for the polite professionalism, patience, and to their job well done. if my posts are going to be deleted, at least take away the rude, a** h*** posts i made. not the ones were i'm taking back my statements against the site. this post is giving recognition to the hard work of the mods, it should stand to show that they are doing their jobs to the utmost.

Edited for improper language.
Slim
STAFF

Missing posts - the answer here:   http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33535.0.html

Any more examination of that issue can go to that thread.

Holy crap people, if you don't like it then leave. All I am hearing here is whining. Every six months or so someone posts a thread about how unfair things are here, heck i even thought things were unfair when i was a newbie, and then i realized that I like this site the way it is because it's not some silly flame war. If you have problems, pm Mike, he has answered questions for me in the past and he is great about getting back to you and explaining things. If all you are going to do is whine about unfair treatment you have the option of just not returning. It's simple, very simple. It's a forum, on the internet, if your posts are being deleted it's not the end of the world. Blarghhh, I can't believe this thread is still going hehe >:D

I actually think all of this is a little entertaining. Although I'll admit to it getting a little annoying after awhile. I don't really have any issues whatsoever with the Moderation of this site. I think the biggest point to be made is that if you're going to disagree or offer an opinion on a post or an issue, back it up or at least present your case with some eloquence.

:threat:

My $.02

TM

[quote author=camochick]
Holy crap people, if you don't like it then leave. All I am hearing here is whining.[/quote]

My most humble apologies for making you read my whining posts.

[quote author=camochick]Every six months or so someone posts a thread about how unfair things are here,[/quote]

If it's a recurring theme, maybe there is something to it. Because my, and a few others, opinion is in the minority doesn't mean it is wrong. It just means it is not in agreement with the majority at the moment. Sort of like voting NDP in Alberta.

I don't believe I am doing anything to hurt the site by expressing my opinion on this matter, and I will continue to do so.

I don't believe I am doing anything to hurt the site by expressing my opinion on this matter, and I will continue to do so.

Perfectly fine to do so, as long as you remember this is a private site and you follow the Forum Guidelines.

I don't believe I am doing anything to hurt the site by expressing my opinion on this matter

Kinda like camochick's opinion, about your opinion...  ;)

muskrat89 said:
Kinda like camochick's opinion, about your opinion...    ;)
or my opinion about camochick's opinion about your opinion. Or muskrat89's opinion about my opinion about camochick's opinion about your opinion.

Well, the ramp is opened now, I'm the JM, and I'm winding up the boot.  Others can decide when to fire the green light - I hope they remembered to pack their chutes....

Infanteer said:
Well, the ramp is opened now, I'm the JM, and I'm winding up the boot.   Others can decide when to fire the green light - I hope they remembered to pack their chutes....

I can't quite figure out whether it was Black Hawk down or Apocolyps Now that you were watching when you made that post... ;D

Sentiment is about right though. >:D

ok, i understand even more!
reading the thread on Personal Items Required by Recruits, 4 pages, all the questions that need to be asked are on page one, with the answers. they are repeated on page two, and then on page four, someone asks again about the picture frame, and then someone asks again about the electric razor. of course, someone else answers each questions, and under that answer, someone else answers.

i always wonder what the "STOP, A NEW POST HAS BEEN ADDED SINCE YOU STARTED YOUR POST, PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" message was about after you submit a post.

DS's have a crappy job, but someones got to do it.
thanks guys  :salute:

....and with that, I think more than enough reasoning has been given for what we do and why we do it. If there is something concrete and reasonable to add, PM it to a Mod for inclusion. Ramp closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back