• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca's Server Infrastructure Changes

Yea,...I could go without hookers and blow for one weekend.

OK, I've looked over the books and accounting for May's expenses (Internet service via the current provider) we have about $450 cash on hand. I was kind of hoping we were a little closer to that "big" server but if we save up I think we can get there. Part of the problem is that I spent our small surplus on inventory however those sales have been going well so I think that works out OK in the end.

Some details I didn't have time to fill in previously:

$600 initial cost server: 3.75 GB of memory, 1 virtual core, 410 GB of local instance storage, 32-bit or 64-bit platform
$1,200 initial cost server: 7.5 GB of memory, 2 virtual cores, 850 GB of local instance storage, 64-bit platform

What's more, once we make the initial cash layout, both of these options become significantly cheaper than our current host. They essentially become $50/month, vs. our current $200/month hosting fee. As you can see, we recoup that $600/$1,200 pretty fast. (4 months or 8 months depending on the plan.)

The downside is that in order to get this good monthly rate, we have to lock in for 3 years, so I want to be really sure we select the right server size now, as it has to last us until mid 2015. Given that, I would rather wait and save for the 'big' server than lock us in to a 'medium' server that will bottom out before the contract is up.

Those are my thoughts on it, I welcome any questions or discussion. I'll keep everyone updated on our financial progress as we move forward.

Thanks
Mike

I think you've got a great plan and have covered yourself for future growth, especially with the Afghan Ops game eating into some of that server.

While saving up, you are still paying $200/month.....I think as a group we can all do better than that and get the plan that does not bottom out before 2015.

It can't hurt to ask it of the membership

Agreed, there is some logic to that approach, so I'll encourage anyone who might be on the fence about a subscription to take a closer look. Not only do you get a cool shirt (which can be worn under your uniform!) and an Army.ca battle badge, but you would also be directly pushing the site towards a more sustainable future. And a much faster one too! :)

Another option that works well is advertising. We have a lot of unused ad space here - over 4 million unused impressions per month! If you know of anyone who might benefit from advertising to this focused audience, please send them my way. Although nobody 'likes' ads, it is a great way to financially support the site without tapping the membership.

P.S. Thanks recceguy for the generous donation, that pushes us ever closer to our goal!

Back