• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Is Looking to SMG's

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
This a pretty good idea for those not on the pointy tip.The MP5 would be a good choice or the Uzzi.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/05/09/could-you-soon-carry-a-submachine-gun-on-mission-the-army-is-interested/

Limiting the competition to 9mm seems a technological step backwards, the newest generation of Personal Defence Weapons are built around 4.6mm and 5.7mm.

Of course, a short-barrelled iron sighted M16 variant, like the M4 or C8, is a perfectly good PDW for the vast majority of users. If that's your baseline, it's hard to show how a 9mm SMG gives you enough improvement to justify the cost of adopting a new weapon.

What about terminal ballistics? The 9mm effect on meat is woefully shy of what 5.56mm does. It's not just the ability to accurately put shots on target, but it's the physiological effects those bullets have inside those target on impact that are really key to defeating a threat.

It would seem the Army wants an off the shelf weapon,but maybe it would be more in line with 5.56mm/M4.

Replica_Sterling_L2A3.JPG
  :nod:

Apparently still manufactured and used by the Indians

http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/8.htm

And you can att a bayonet.

Attachments

• SMG.jpg
    SMG.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 205
infinite number of sure kills...... and 30 rounds to retrieve the bayonet.

Brihard said:
What about terminal ballistics? The 9mm effect on meat is woefully shy of what 5.56mm does. It's not just the ability to accurately put shots on target, but it's the physiological effects those bullets have inside those target on impact that are really key to defeating a threat.

True but you also have then muzzle flash, over-penetration, size to deal with. Unless you go special ammo

Rifleman62 said:
And you can att a bayonet.

Just a poll here, who among the users of this gun ever attached the sling to the front sight guard?

kkwd said:
Just a poll here, who among the users of this gun ever attached the sling to the front sight guard?

Never. The sling clip was to be inserted through one of the vent holes in the barrel jacket.

:cheers:

I don't remember ever getting a sling anytime I had an SMG.

Fun to shoot. Easier to carry than the FN...

SeaKingTacco said:
I don't remember ever getting a sling anytime I had an SMG.

Fun to shoot. Easier to carry than the FN...
Can confirm. Our platoon was Sunset Platoon at Cornwallis. Much extra drill for us and practicing the ‘feu de joie’ over and over and over again with a heavy FN was so fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RocketRichard said:
Can confirm. Our platoon was Sunset Platoon at Cornwallis. Much extra drill for us and practicing the ‘feu de joie’ over and over and over again with a heavy FN was so fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to Royal Roads- you know, the drill college. I have more FN carrying time from that than I probably spent in a classroom...

In my years with 2nd and 3rd Horse I always carried an SMG and a Browning as my personnel weapons except during my two years as a FOO when I carried a Browning and an FN so as to blend in and look like a lowly grunt instead of a prime sniper target. The damn 10 ft aerial never gave me away.  ;D

Always had a sling. Always carried the radio from sect comd up as we never had enough people to have designated Rad Op. First trade was Gp1 Sigs in 1963.

FJAG said:
Never. The sling clip was to be inserted through one of the vent holes in the barrel jacket.

Same here.  Sling clip was always through one of the vent holes.
And you didn't just have one 30 round mag, it was two 30 round mags taped together.  Only saw the 10 round mag when we had the classroom instruction on the SMG but in the field, just the 30 round mags used
Rare when I got to carry one though, through SRTP carried the FN C1. But after that most of the time got to carry the FN C2. So a treat to carry something light like the SMG

Tom

Always a sling and as QM I would always issue the 10rd and 3x 30rd mags to people. The main issue with the gun is that no matter which way it slung on your body, it had a protrusion, and the stock while very solid, was great at nipping cold fingers. having handled and shot the Uzi, I would have taken it over the SMG for the streamlined shape, despite the slightly higher weight.

expwor said:
. . .  Only saw the 10 round mag when we had the classroom instruction on the SMG but in the field, just the 30 round mags used
. . .  a treat to carry something light like the SMG

I wouldn't say weapon of choice (I preferred the C1A1), but it was the standard issue to all trades (junior ranks, sgts and up carried pistols) in field ambulances and "usually" what was issued to medics in arms units.  The 10 round mag did end up having a useful purpose.  When we got the 5/4 tons, they included weapon racks in the cab - C1s could be clipped upright against the rear wall, the SMG racks were on the floor between the seats.  However, if the 30 round mags were in the weapon, you couldn't fit the SMGs of both crew in place.

Funniest thing I remember about the SMG:

One year (when I was lowly naval cadet), we are on parade in Esquimalt and the guard was provided by the female division. They had been training to do it with the SMG, and my division was the first one right behind.

Parade is formed and we are all waiting for the reviewing officer to arrive, when the parade chief, CWO Vincent, of the PPCLI but also a retired "volunteer" from the Rhodesian and South African forces fighting guerrilla in their part of the world, spotted one girl whose SMG had drifted down to about 30 degrees off the vertical. So, chief Vincent smartly moved over, straightened the SMG and bellowed: "Hold that weapon properly!" adding in a more hushed tone right after: "It's a beautiful killing machine!"

We almost all died of laughter in our division and had hard time keeping a straight face that day every time we glanced towards the guard.  ;D

Back