• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army language

I am reminded of the Marlon Brando line from Apocalypse Now: "They send young men out to bomb hospitals, but they won't let them paint "F*ck" on the side of their airplanes".

Let's not get too self-righteous about bad language. Some of the most capable Inf WOs and Sgts Maj I have ever had the pleasure to serve with (including on operations) had mouths on them like sewers. To say that these people were incapable, feeble-minded, lacked leadership ability, etc. is in my experience simply not true. They grew up in an Army in which that was SOP. I found, for example, that when I attended USMC C&SC at Quantico, I had to restrain my language because US officers just did not swear like we would. (That is not necessarily the case here in Afgh-in the G3 shop in CJTF76 there is a big 1940's style poster that says "How About a Big Steaming Cup of  Shut the F*ck Up?" (without the asterisk).

I use profanity only selectively at work. I may insert a word now and then for emphasis: it makes the point. Of course, you have to tune your language to your audience: if we are briefing the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, for example, I am a model of linguistic rectitude. ^-^. I tend to agree that if "F*ck" is used as a form of punctuation, it loses it value and just becomes irritating.

I also agree that showering recruits (or any subordinates) with a stream of profanity probably is not the best way to go, but again in certain circumstances a well used-word or two can be useful.

I find that my two kids (20 and 15) use it without thinking: it has lost its value amongst people of that generation, I think.

Cheers

Back