• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Mess Kit Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltmaverick25

Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Did a search, couldn't find what I was looking for.

My question is the following:

Do officers wear black slip ons or shoulder boards or something to that effect as their rank insignia on army mess kit?  Insofar as I can remember, I could swear that I saw black shoulder slip on types.  However, when I went to order my army mess kit today, the tailor in Esquimalt showed me the army jacket and it had a scarlet epaulet with rank insignia sewn directly onto the shoulder material.

I did a google search for pictures, and the only results that came up showed black type shoulders. 

Can anyone provide a definitive responce?

Thanks

Ranks are sewn directly to epaulettes, the colour of which depends on the unit/trade.

ltmaverick25 said:

Do officers wear black slip ons or shoulder boards or something to that effect as their rank insignia on army mess kit?  Insofar as I can remember, I could swear that I saw black shoulder slip on types.  However, when I went to order my army mess kit today, the tailor in Esquimalt showed me the army jacket and it had a scarlet epaulet with rank insignia sewn directly onto the shoulder material.

I did a google search for pictures, and the only results that came up showed black type shoulders. 

Can anyone provide a definitive responce?

Thanks

Redeye said:
Ranks are sewn directly to epaulettes, the colour of which depends on the unit/trade.

That is the colour of the epaulette depends on the type or unit/Trade; the majority will be red.  The rank is still going to be the 'gold' stripe for the majority of the Land pers.  I believe Medical officers are the only ones to have maroon borders on their rank ribbon.

Just didn't want to have too many asking what colour the rank should be. 

ltmaverick25 said:

Do officers wear black slip ons or shoulder boards or something to that effect as their rank insignia on army mess kit? 

Now?  You are not Army, but Navy.  Why are you ordering Army Mess Kit?  Although you may have been Land before, that does not "Grandfather" you when you finally decide to buy Mess Kit.  You are only "Grandfathered" if you had already owned Mess Kit.

George Wallace said:
Now?  You are not Army, but Navy.  Why are you ordering Army Mess Kit?  Although you may have been Land before, that does not "Grandfather" you when you finally decide to buy Mess Kit.  You are only "Grandfathered" if you had already owned Mess Kit.

Please give me a little more credit then that.  I WAS Navy, and decided that in the end I preferred the army.  Effective yesturday I am now an Army Officer, effective today, I am out $1000 for my Army mess kit.

Back to the topic, do you know the color for INT?

ltmaverick25 said:
Please give me a little more credit then that.  I WAS Navy, and decided that in the end I preferred the army.  Effective yesturday I am now an Army Officer, effective today, I am out $1000 for my Army mess kit.

I guess you have a short memory:  "You're an INT OP, you figger it out!"      ;D

All of this information is found in the Canadian Forces Dress Regulations; A-AD-265-000/AG-001.

You can go look it up there, or be more trusting of the Tailor, who has all that information and all the patterns.  If not, look up the website for the Tailor in Kingston, and they will send your tailor the correct information.  These people have been making Mess Kit for years, so they know what they are doing.

ltmaverick25 said:

From CF Dress Instructions but you should check with your Adjutant for how the the branch "interprets" those instructions

5.  Standard Options. The following are
standard options for the universal pattern army mess
dress (Figures 6B1-3 and 6B1-4). Members of
branches/regiments with no authorized differences
from the universal pattern shall wear that pattern and
these options:

a. Jacket. The environmental facing colour of
midnight blue on collar, shoulder-straps and
cuffs. Infantry cuffs. Gold officers’ cuff
embellishment. For males, plain jacket front
without buttons or button-holes. For females,
plain jacket front with single link buttons.

b. Waistcoat/Cummerbund. Midnight blue
waistcoat, with four button-holes, for senior
officers and above only. During the summer
dress period, only a cummerbund is worn.

c. Trousers/Overalls/Skirt. Highcut trousers;
overalls optional. Scarlet trouser/overall/skirt
stripe, 4.5 cm (1-3/4 in.) wide along trouser
seam and around (half on each side) skirt
vent.

d. Footwear. With trousers/overalls, black
socks; black shoes or wellington boots;
wellingtons with overalls; no spurs. With
women’s skirt, beige or black plain-pattern
nylons; black leather/patent leather pumps.

e. White Gloves

6. Insignia. Normal CF insignia shall be worn.
Where background cloth might obscure easy
recognition, e.g., gold officer rank braid on a yellowor
white-faced shoulder strap, the insignia may be
highlighted by backing it with scarlet or blue
(depending on tunic colour). Backing lights shall
extend slightly beyond the insignia and fill the gap
between any braid.

7. Authorized Differences. Branch or, for
members of the Armour and Infantry Branches,
regimental differences may be authorized. Members
of Scottish and kilted Irish regiments are authorized
special patterns as illustrated in Figure 6B1-4.
Authorized differences are listed in the paragraphs that
follow.

AUTHORIZED BRANCH DIFFERENCES

25. Intelligence Branch. Midnight green
facings. Silver officers cuff embellishment. Surgeon
cuffs. Midnight green waistcoat for officers.
Midnight green trouser/skirt. Wellingtons. No
gloves.

Hah! Ive been getting spoiled by the new Int Op here that has it all figured out for us :D

As for the tailor, she wasnt sure, she is not the person that actually makes the suit.  She takes the measurements and then sends them to a place in Vancouver, so I wont really know until I receive it.  Based on the timeline she gave me, I will likely receive it around the time my BIOC ends.. What I found in the dress regs annotates a standard Army pattern, but havent found the information specific to INT.  I dont know if the ref number is the same as the one you quoted though.

Blackadder1916 said:
From CF Dress Instructions but you should check with your Adjutant for how the the branch "interprets" those instructions

Thanks!  That makes more sence now.  Looks to me like midnight blue and midnight green appear black at first glance, at least to my eyes anyway.

For Int O's, Army mess kit the facings, cuffs, waistcoat and trousers are midnight green, with silver piping on surgeons cuffs. Everything else is bog standard army, including the stripe down the pants. A scarlet cummerbund is authorised for wear in summer (you can get them at the school for about 30 bucks).

This is all in the dress regs...have you tried a keyword search?

By way of a return, could you tell me what treachery you had to work to get a seat on BIOC? Have you been waiting long?

If everything else is standard Army does that mean that the shoulder straps are midnight blue?  I did manage to the reference myself, and, just as Blackladder stated, the ref is as follows:

25. Intelligence Branch. Midnight green
facings. Silver officers cuff embellishment. Surgeon
cuffs. Midnight green waistcoat for officers.
Midnight green trouser/skirt. Wellingtons. No
gloves.

There is no mention of shoulder straps there. 

As for BIOC, my seniority in trade awaiting course is high so its simply my turn.  In the end, I will have waited exactly 1.5 years for BIOC.  From what I hear, not as bad as others who got into the trade after me.

The shoulder straps should be midnight green as well...sorry, missed that bit. ;)

Best of luck at the school.

The dress regs are pretty clear. If you can't read, go see your Adjt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back