• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Reserve Officer

Gratitude1

Reaction score
  1. What is the pay if I start off as an army reserve officer right after graduation? How does the pay work for a part-time army reserve officer?
  2. Am I entitled to any CAF benefits (e.g. medical and dental) as a part-time army reserve officer?
  3. Am I entitled to any CAF pension as a part-time army reserve officer? If I have a job already at Canadian Federal Public Service that comes with pension, how will that work with the CAF pension given I am entitled to it?
  4. In what circumstance would I be offered an official second language (i.e. French) training as a part-time army reserve officer?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice!

1. You would start as a 2Lt. Pay can be viewed here: Reserve Force pay by rank - Canada.ca

2. There is a Reserve Dental Plan available after 3 months. When full time on Class B or C contracts, military doctors/dentists will look after your medical care.

3. Reserve Force members join the Reserve Force Pension Plan automatically after earning 10% of the Year's Maximum Pensionable Earnings (YMPE) in two consecutive 12-month periods. Someone more versed would have to comment on the effects with having a pension with the Public Service.

4. Near 0%.

I'll tray and fill in some of the blanks but your best bet is to do research on the official sites.

1. Covered. Note As a Class A reservist you will get paid by the half (6 hours or less in a Midnight to Midnight timing) or full day (over 6 hours, Midnight to midnight). Therefore, a "normal" working evening is a half days pay (Typically 3-4 hrs), while a weekend can be up to 2.5 to 3 days pay depending on what is going on and when you report/leave army work.

2. Note that Class B has a short term and a long term sub component (13 to 180 days consecutive is considered short term so Dental only) 181 to 365 days is considered "permanent class B" nad has full dental and medical coverage for you (not your family). Class C is normally when you are on tour and you get the exact same benefits as a Regular Force soldier.

3. Note that there are two clocks in the Reserves that effect your pension. Time in service starting the day you are sworn in until you release, and time towards your pension which is calculated by time paid. The max you can do in service time is 35 years. The amount of your pension is calculated by the number of days you "accumulate" working (ie. Being paid) Class a is 1.4 days pers day of paid service. Class B is 1 for 1. So if you worked a weekend (2.5 days) you would actually accumulate 2.5 X 1.4 or 3.5 days of paid service and 3 days of "serving in uniform". So in my example, I served 37 years, but accumulated ~19 years of paid service, so my pension $ amount was based on 19 years at my 5 best consecutive years, but once I hit 35 years of service in uniform, I could no longer contribute. As for earning a pension from the PS and Reserves, I'm not 100% about that. Hopefully someone else can chime in. I do know that to port your pension over to the PS, they only count 180 days or more consecutive service as 1 for 1 time. The rest is not ported.

4. Reservists are not normally offered paid 2nd language opportunities. I have seen it happen, but usually for high ranking succession planned individuals.

1. You would start as a 2Lt. Pay can be viewed here: Reserve Force pay by rank - Canada.ca

2. There is a Reserve Dental Plan available after 3 months. When full time on Class B or C contracts, military doctors/dentists will look after your medical care.

3. Reserve Force members join the Reserve Force Pension Plan automatically after earning 10% of the Year's Maximum Pensionable Earnings (YMPE) in two consecutive 12-month periods. Someone more versed would have to comment on the effects with having a pension with the Public Service.

4. Near 0%.
Thank you so much for you information! Very helpful and thorough! For my second question, does Class A have dental coverage?

I'll tray and fill in some of the blanks but your best bet is to do research on the official sites.

1. Covered. Note As a Class A reservist you will get paid by the half (6 hours or less in a Midnight to Midnight timing) or full day (over 6 hours, Midnight to midnight). Therefore, a "normal" working evening is a half days pay (Typically 3-4 hrs), while a weekend can be up to 2.5 to 3 days pay depending on what is going on and when you report/leave army work.

2. Note that Class B has a short term and a long term sub component (13 to 180 days consecutive is considered short term so Dental only) 181 to 365 days is considered "permanent class B" nad has full dental and medical coverage for you (not your family). Class C is normally when you are on tour and you get the exact same benefits as a Regular Force soldier.

3. Note that there are two clocks in the Reserves that effect your pension. Time in service starting the day you are sworn in until you release, and time towards your pension which is calculated by time paid. The max you can do in service time is 35 years. The amount of your pension is calculated by the number of days you "accumulate" working (ie. Being paid) Class a is 1.4 days pers day of paid service. Class B is 1 for 1. So if you worked a weekend (2.5 days) you would actually accumulate 2.5 X 1.4 or 3.5 days of paid service and 3 days of "serving in uniform". So in my example, I served 37 years, but accumulated ~19 years of paid service, so my pension $ amount was based on 19 years at my 5 best consecutive years, but once I hit 35 years of service in uniform, I could no longer contribute. As for earning a pension from the PS and Reserves, I'm not 100% about that. Hopefully someone else can chime in. I do know that to port your pension over to the PS, they only count 180 days or more consecutive service as 1 for 1 time. The rest is not ported.

4. Reservists are not normally offered paid 2nd language opportunities. I have seen it happen, but usually for high ranking succession planned individuals.
Thank you so much for you information! Very helpful and thorough! For my second question, does Class A have dental coverage?

Quick fix for Dental/Medical Info...

Dental for Reservists
  • Class A: Covered through the Dental Plan posted by Blackadder
  • Class B under 180 days and less: covered by the CAF for the mbr only (while on contract) - if you're on a short term contract (under 30-60 days) chances are you will only see a CAF dentist if it's an emergency.
    Class B over 180 days: covered by the CAF for the mbr, dependants are covered under the Dental Plan posted by Blackadder (same benefits as RegF)
  • Class C: covered by the CAF for the mbr, dependants are covered under the Dental Plan posted by Blackadder (same benefits as RegF)
For Medical:
If you're injured while on CAF service:
  • You're covered by the CAF regardless of Class A, B or C - there's just some paperwork that has to go with
If it's routine medical:
  • Class A you're covered under your provincial health insurance
  • Class B (no matter the length) coverage is through the base HS clinic for treatment
  • Class B over 180 days, there is also coverage through Blue Cross to be used ONLY if one cannot report to a military HS clinic.

I have a friend who's studying computer science and wants to join the CAF reserves and he picked the following trades:-
1- Engineer Officer
2- Intelligence Officer
3- Signals Officer

which trade fits him the most and is there anything common for the trades bove?

I have a friend who's studying computer science and wants to join the CAF reserves and he picked the following trades:-
1- Engineer Officer
2- Intelligence Officer
3- Signals Officer

It all depends where your buddy is located versus the units that have those trades available in his sector. On my behalf, I woulf either choose Sigs or Intel. He might even consider Comms as well.

1- Engineer Officer
2- Intelligence Officer
3- Signals Officer

Unless things have changed since I escaped released 6 years ago, IIRC, Engineers need an engineering degree usually. Sig O's - Comp sci might do it, Int O usually something political science'ish, but might let them in with whatever degree. They should obviously check the recruiting website, as it should have the prerequisite including preferred degree programs.

Unless things have changed since I escaped released 6 years ago, IIRC, Engineers need an engineering degree usually. Sig O's - Comp sci might do it, Int O usually something political science'ish, but might let them in with whatever degree. They should obviously check the recruiting website, as it should have the prerequisite including preferred degree programs.
Several entry standards have been changed in the last 5-6 years. In the case of an applicant interested in joining as a reserve officer under a RESO entry plan, Computer Science is acceptable for all three MOS choices.

For michaelayad - education is only one item that determines what is the best fit for an applicant. Each person should discuss their particular situation with a recruiter. Things to think about: how far do they live from the various reserve units that offer those MOS? When does each of the units parade, and does this create any school or work conflicts? What does the applicant like to do, what are they good at, and what do they want to get out of the Army?

1- Engineer Officer
2- Intelligence Officer
3- Signals Officer

If I was that smart, way back when I started up as a RESO bod, I'd probably look at logistics.

There are those on here with more knowledge about the options than I, but it seems that Log O would be a great match for a computer geek ;)

Back