• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army stance on Orthokeratology

ExistancE

Inactive
Reaction score
Gentlemen;

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the CF policy with regards to Orthokeratology. For more info on this fire the word through google. Essentialy it's contact lenses worn at night that re-shape the eye so that vision is vastly improved (6/6 and better are possible). Unfortunately it's not a truly long term solution because the eyes will deteriorate back to their original condition in about a week if the lenses are no longer worn.

A little background on my situation. My eyes are 6/6 corrected and 6/60 6/90 uncorrected. Under the new standards this means no infantry. My reserve regiment of choice is taking me on as a clerk so that I can get my bmq and sq done. It's up to me to get my eyes up to standard so that I can change over before trades training.

Ultimately my question is does this Orthokeratology bit fall in under corrected vision because it's not permanent or uncorrected because I can sit their and pass the eye exam with no lenses. Will the army give me my V3 or V2 if I can pass the exam with no lenses? I suspect they would but the obvious question is going to be why the change. I can'ts see any huge downside to it because it's not surgical (and requires no waiting period) but of course the same concerns that apply to regular lenses may apply.  I will look at laser asap but without going into needless detail it would be nice if I could do BIQ Summer 2006 instead of Summer 2007 and have surgery and the 6 months required downtime instead.

I apologize if this is a poor question but I found nothing by searching.

Thank you.

That would be a corrective lens, and that is considered a vision correction. 

If you were stuck in the field or on operation for weeks without your lens, your acuity wouldn't be 6/6 without the
lens to reshape it. 

OM

Thank you for such a prompt response Old Medic. Looks like laser.

Back