• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Artillery Officer Merged Thread

krimynal said:
but lets say we live in a perfect world , where everything happens like I wish ( bare with me this is a fantasy ) Could an Artillery Officer be a Parachute Jumpmaster ? or do the Arctic / jungle training ?

An Artillery Officer can do Basic Para(and others), I don't know what the odds of Jumpmaster are.

I'm not sure of how many people in the CF recently have had the opportunity to do a Jungle Warfare course.  I don't know how common Advanced Winter Warfare for Arty Officers is; I only know one person who has done it, and he was a Infantry MCpl at the time. Some units have also gone up to North during the winter for exercises.

-Skeletor- said:
An Artillery Officer can be Basic Para qualified, I don't know about Jumpmaster.

I'm not sure too many people in the CF recently have had the opportunity to do a Jungle Warfare course.  Not sure how common Advanced Winter Warfare for Arty Officers is; I only know one person who has done it, and he was a Infantry MCpl at the time.

my brother-in-law ( Sergeant at the 22ND regiment in valcartier ) got chosen to do the Jungle Warfare training this year , he should be leaving soon , that's why I'm asking !

*Royal 22nd Regiment(R22eR)

Members have gotten to go to the jungle and train, but not everyone. Right time, right place, etc plus going Infantry doesn't mean you will get to go on it, plenty of Infantry Officers/NCMs haven't had the opportunity.

Don't base a career choice on specialty courses, especially ones that aren't common/hard to get.

-Skeletor- said:
*Royal 22nd Regiment(R22eR)

Members have gotten to go to the jungle and train, but not everyone. Right time, right place, etc plus going Infantry doesn't mean you will get to go on it, plenty of Infantry Officers/NCMs haven't had the opportunity.

Don't base a career choice on specialty courses, especially ones that aren't common/hard to get.

Definetly not trying to base around that , but I still want to know whats possible on both case , since they are both combat arms , and they are both pretty much hand in hand ( I mean artillery needs infantry and infantry needs artillery )

so an officer in Both trades could possibly , if everything goes well , do any of the classes mention above.  That is if the timing , place , etc. is right , but in both It wouldn't damage my application ?

I don't think I understand your question. How could courses that you may or may not ever get sometime in the future have any bearing on your application?

The thing is , I'm currently joining the artillery reserve unite here in Shawinigan as a NCM.

I'm thinking of staying there for the next 4 years ( while I do my degree ) but my main choice was Pilot

BUT , I still check for plan B and C , to be totally honest I think I would love just as much to be in the combat arms then to be a Pilot ( eventhought its 2 different jobs totally )

Had many discussion with my girlfriend about joining the combat arms instead of the air-force. 

She doesn't really like the Idea since her dad was in the infantry for 33 years , and her brother-in-law is currently in the infantry also.

She would like me to get a job a little further away from the front line , but she knows me and she knows I think about it a lot.

that's why I keep asking questions about it.

I just want to see what could my option be as an artillery officer , and see if I like the idea.

Hello,

To give background, I am the common-law partner of someone who has recently been accepted into the Armed Forces as an Artillery Officer and he left for basic training in Saint-Jean yesterday. I have a fair idea of what training entails and the timelines associated with this (He will be in basic from September 28th until February 7th, including leave for Christmas holidays) but have very little information on what life might be like after basic has finished.

From what I know, since he is an Officer, second language training is required. It will most likely be in Quebec and that can run anywhere from 2-9 months. After he completes second language training, he will attend Artillery training in, I believe, Gagetown New Brunswick. So, I've got the basics in information but absolutely no idea of any timelines. I'm currently living close to Toronto, Ontario and am hoping to join him shortly after he completes basic to live with him while he completes second language training in Montreal (on our own dime - I realize this may not be do-able depending on what happens directly after Basic, but that is the "plan" as of right now).

So, after all that lovely information I've given, I'd love to hear from other people who have gone through to be Artillery Officers (or anything that would be similar in training I suppose) and hear about your experiences with training in all its various aspects after BMQ. Timelines for each aspect, how it's worked with your spouse and any other information I'm not privy to at the moment.

I'm just looking to get a feel for what it has been like for others since I am fully aware that in the army, nothing is guaranteed or set in stone. I would prefer not to be apart for second language training as it's a pretty decent schedule and I see no reason to stay here in Ontario. We have already decided that I will be selling most of our non-essential items in preparation for this move and also to ensure that our life is as portable as it needs to be. I don't feel as though I have unrealistic expectations but would really appreciate hearing what other people's experiences have been like.

Thank you so much in advance!

P.S - Anyone reading this post who is the spouse of a CF member, any links to forums for families would be greatly appreciated. I've found a couple but none that have been especially helpful in regards to information. I love the input on here but it can be a bit brutal at times and I'm still a bit fresh as he only left yesterday (sorry for any jumbled writing, I've been awake for far too many hours!)

- ANicole

Forgot to add one thing - I have searched the forums to try and figure this out before posting a question on the forums (I'm fully aware that you guys aren't fans of repeating yourselves), but if this information has been posted elsewhere, feel free to post the link to where I can read it.

Again, thank you! : )

Sorry that I won't be too much help as I went through my training in 1969 in Shilo and things have changed a lot since then.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to welcome you to the family.

It looks to me that you already have the right attitude - stay flexible and keep your sense of humour while things are up in the air. Life will become more stable once you get to a regiment even though you'll still have time apart while he goes off on courses. Kathy and I were posted to both Shilo and Petawawa and found our years there staring a young family as very happy ones.

Best of luck.

:cheers:

ANicole said:
Hello,

To give background, I am the common-law partner of someone who has recently been accepted into the Armed Forces as an Artillery Officer and he left for basic training in Saint-Jean yesterday. I have a fair idea of what training entails and the timelines associated with this (He will be in basic from September 28th until February 7th, including leave for Christmas holidays) but have very little information on what life might be like after basic has finished.

From what I know, since he is an Officer, second language training is required. It will most likely be in Quebec and that can run anywhere from 2-9 months. After he completes second language training, he will attend Artillery training in, I believe, Gagetown New Brunswick. So, I've got the basics in information but absolutely no idea of any timelines. I'm currently living close to Toronto, Ontario and am hoping to join him shortly after he completes basic to live with him while he completes second language training in Montreal (on our own dime - I realize this may not be do-able depending on what happens directly after Basic, but that is the "plan" as of right now).

So, after all that lovely information I've given, I'd love to hear from other people who have gone through to be Artillery Officers (or anything that would be similar in training I suppose) and hear about your experiences with training in all its various aspects after BMQ. Timelines for each aspect, how it's worked with your spouse and any other information I'm not privy to at the moment.

I'm just looking to get a feel for what it has been like for others since I am fully aware that in the army, nothing is guaranteed or set in stone. I would prefer not to be apart for second language training as it's a pretty decent schedule and I see no reason to stay here in Ontario. We have already decided that I will be selling most of our non-essential items in preparation for this move and also to ensure that our life is as portable as it needs to be. I don't feel as though I have unrealistic expectations but would really appreciate hearing what other people's experiences have been like.

Thank you so much in advance!

P.S - Anyone reading this post who is the spouse of a CF member, any links to forums for families would be greatly appreciated. I've found a couple but none that have been especially helpful in regards to information. I love the input on here but it can be a bit brutal at times and I'm still a bit fresh as he only left yesterday (sorry for any jumbled writing, I've been awake for far too many hours!)

- ANicole

As an arty officer your spouse will complete basic in St. Jean, but the second language training is no longer offered after, so he will be sent to Gagetown to do his BMOQ-L (CAP). Once done he will complete his phase 3 and likely wait a year for phase 4 as the courses being offered are being reduced. Once trained, he will be posted to a field arty regiment (Shilo, Petawawa, or Valcartier) or to 4 RCA (GSR) in Gagetown to do Air Defence or STA.

If sent to the Sta or AD he will do an additional troop commander course and if sent to the field arty he will do his forward observation officer course (theses courses should be anywhere from 2-5 years after he reaches his regiment). Further, he will do arty ops (8 weeks) and may potentially do the forward air controller course, naval gunfire course, and the instructor in gunnery course, a 9 month course at gagetown to be an instructor at the arty school.

So, he can expect lots of visits to gagetown! That said, there are lots of options for him in the arty. If he chooses sta he will be employed within a light counter mortar radar (LCMR) or acoustic weapon locating system (HALO) troop at a Field regiment or within a Small UAV troop or, in the future, a medium range radar troop in 4RCA (GSR). If choosing the AD path he will work in an airspace coordination centre and in the future in an air defence weapon troop or MRR troop.

If field, he will work in a M777 troop and then as a forward observation officer.

After this initial tour he will be considered for IG or other training.

The Arty officers a number of posting changes and career options. I've been an ADATS troop commander, AD battery Ops O, Scan Eagle UAS Troop Commander overseas, and done the FOO and field IG course.

Also, I don't believe that he will do second language training right away. Who told him this.

Great info from Bird Gunner there. Check out the Artillery sub-thread on this forum for more.

One thing that you may not want to hear though is that you should be prepared that none of what BG describes will happen. There are a lot of people that start training only to voluntarily release (quit) or be unsuccessful. Prepare yourself for that possibility. Of the dozen or so artillery officer candidates that started basic training with me, I think only 6 of 7 actually ended up passing all of our training and ending up at a regiment. Just keep in mind that while your partner should be planning for success, you may want to have that plan B in the back of your mind.

ANicole said:
Forgot to add one thing - I have searched the forums to try and figure this out before posting a question on the forums (I'm fully aware that you guys aren't fans of repeating yourselves), but if this information has been posted elsewhere, feel free to post the link to where I can read it.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ie=UTF-8&q=artillery+officer&sa=Search#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=artillery%20officer&gsc.page=1

jeffb said:
Great info from Bird Gunner there. Check out the Artillery sub-thread on this forum for more.

One thing that you may not want to hear though is that you should be prepared that none of what BG describes will happen. There are a lot of people that start training only to voluntarily release (quit) or be unsuccessful. Prepare yourself for that possibility. Of the dozen or so artillery officer candidates that started basic training with me, I think only 6 of 7 actually ended up passing all of our training and ending up at a regiment. Just keep in mind that while your partner should be planning for success, you may want to have that plan B in the back of your mind.

:goodpost:

Good advice. Not everyone is cut out to be any trade so you have to maintain a sense of reality that army employment isn't a right.

Thank you for the replies.

And I do know that not everyone makes it through training and successfully into the career of their choice. This isn't something I'm counting on, but he wants to do this with a passion so I'm not very concerned that he won't be successful.

Different people have told him different things in regards to what should be expected, but without concrete information it's bloody difficult to figure out what the next stage of life will be. Since I'm not currently working a job that requires me to stay in one particular place, it allows me to be able to move anywhere in the country that he is stationed - this is why I'm trying to get a better idea of what's to come after Basic.

The reason that you haven't been told too much concrete information is that nothing is concrete. This is true in the training period and even more so as your career progresses. Learn to embrace, or at least accept, uncertainty and you'll do well as a service spouse. The other thing I'll warn you about is that it's much harder in many ways to be married to the Army then to actually BE in the Army. Your partner will be off doing relatively exciting and interesting things with some great friends and you'll generally be left behind to run the equally important, but arguably less exciting, home. I love being and artillery officer but I'm not sure that I'm strong enough to be a service spouse.

Best of luck.

Hello,

I live in Guelph Ontario and am a new applicant to the Reserves as Artillery Officer.  I am just waiting for a call to book interview and medical, and had a couple questions.

1.  Any inside perspective on the duties entailed? 
2.  What is a Forward Observation Officer?  What other types of officer positions are open to Artillery Officers?
3.  I may want to Component Transfer later.  How long does it take to process into the Regular Forces and will I take Basic Training again?

I am very much looking forward to joining.

Thank you for any and all responses.

patcosgro said:
I live in Guelph Ontario and am a new applicant to the Reserves as Artillery Officer.  I am just waiting for a call to book interview and medical, and had a couple questions.

1.  Any inside perspective on the duties entailed? 
2.  What is a Forward Observation Officer?  What other types of officer positions are open to Artillery Officers?
3.  I may want to Component Transfer later.  How long does it take to process into the Regular Forces and will I take Basic Training again?

Thank you for any and all responses.

Reserve Artillery Officer Training 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/105488.0

reserve artillery officer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/36441.0

Artillery Officer
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+NPF&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=0n22VK2iNcqy8wfEg4LIDg&gws_rd=ssl#rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&q=site:army.ca++++%22artillery+officer%22

Artillery Officer and Forward Observation.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/103890.0

Forward observer role in the artillery
http://army.ca/forums/threads/116310.0

Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12797.0/nowap.html

Lots more in there, but this is a start.

These questions have all been answered in detail in the artillery sub forum. About 3 threads down is one called "primary reserve officer career progression". Give that sub-forum a read and feel free to ask any additional questions in there or PM me.

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/board,2.0.html

Best of luck,

Jeff

Thank you mariomike and jeffb.  I found these links very informative.  I will continue to read through these and similar links to get a better picture of whats to come.  Once I start my training with my Reserve unit I will do my job and do it well.

Back