• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ATVs

SeanNewman

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I insist that the bigger problem is that we for some completely retarded reason do not utilize ATVs in the CF.

An ATV with a trailer or a side-by-side could easily move these things around the battlespace where they could be set up.  Not just these, but anything, be it a 50 cal, water, a generator, etc.

For what we spend on a single F35, we could buy enough brand new ATVs to outfit the entire combat arms with ATVs for the next century and double our mobility.

Petamocto said:
For what we spend on a single F35, we could buy enough brand new ATVs to outfit the entire combat arms with ATVs for the next century and double our mobility.

And increase their vulnerability to certain forms of attack.  And increase fuel requirements.  And increase maintenance requirements.  And increase training requirements.  And increase infrastructure requirements.  And increase transportation requirements.

Petamocto said:
An ATV with a trailer or a side-by-side could easily move these things around the battlespace where they could be set up.  Not just these, but anything, be it a 50 cal, water, a generator, etc.
I'm not sure how ATVs would work and I defer to those who served in either a light battalion or the Canadian Airborne Regiment.  As I recall, they had .50s in the "DFS Platoons of the companies/commandos.  My question is: how were they and the associated ammo lugged around?  I highly doubt that they were put into the various platoons.  Were they used at the Coy/Cdo level?

So, I suppose the bigger question could be: do we go with light battalions again?  Do we spread them across the army?  Do we concentrate them in a single brigade? 

Irrespective of the answer, other than mounting it on a vehicle (aka RG-31, TAPV, whatever), how is this thing lugged around?

Edited for spelling error.

Petamocto said:
I insist that the bigger problem is that we for some completely retarded reason do not generally utilize ATVs in the CF.

There.  Fixed it for you.

The CF has used a variety of Off Road Vehicles (ORVs) including ATVs and utility vehicles (i.e. Gators, Rangers etc.) and user trialled several for use by light armoured recce units of the Army Reserve.  The Army (more correctly, Canada Command) also used them extensively at Op CADENCE.  ASGs continue to use them in administrative roles such as range patrolling.  They are employed in Afghanistan today (three soliders were KIA when their Gator hit an IED during a supply shuttle run last year) and were successfully employed on Op TOUCAN in East Timor.

Hey!  This is the internet!  Don`t confuse the argument with facts!

Just a question but wouldn't using a .50 on either a trailer or sidecar thinger attached to an ATV be very very difficult?  What's wrong with the Gwagons now?

I agree I imagine ATVs could be useful but would a combat role work?

Also if the CF wants to be cheap let's just give everyone roller skates, still faster than walking  ;D

Rogo said:
Just a question but wouldn't using a .50 on either a trailer or sidecar thinger attached to an ATV be very very difficult?  What's wrong with the Gwagons now?

I agree I imagine ATVs could be useful but would a combat role work?

Also if the CF wants to be cheap let's just give everyone roller skates, still faster than walking  ;D

I think ATVs might have a small, but useful role in combat.  The Brits use them all the time.  The Rat Patrol in KAF picks up their Timmie's on their ATVs and then rolls out the gate to do whatever stuff they do.  Their secret squirrel types mount their Minimi and GPMG on ATVs.  Even the Paras use them for hauling weaponry and supplies to units outside the wire (and by that, I mean the FOB wire).

What are they looking to replace them with?

See roller blades are the jeeps of the future, silly F35 project  ;)

I can see their usefulness around bases or FOBs but I just imagine if you are on roads where the main threats appear to be IEDs that they'd probably not be too popular with the personnel.

Okay, thanks for the info guys.  I learned something today.  :)

Just to throw some sand in the gears here, if we are willing to pay the associated training, logistics and infrastructure costs of using ATV's, with their relatively tiny payloads, why not go for something with more utility, larger payload etc. like the BV-206 or ST "Bronco" all terrain tracked vehicle.

These things can move over terrain that even ATV's cannot, carry an load up to 5 tons in the case of the Bronco and can swim. If the idea is to provide enhanced mobility, improved logistics and the ability to support operations in places where only dismounted infantry can operate, then this is the way to go. These vehicles are also not limited by weather like helicopters or air assets, so perations can continue 24/7. They are also large enough to carry heavy weapons (including mortars and perhaps artillery pieces) as well as a huge amount of ammunition, as well as radios and optics and FCS to ensure they are employed to the maximum effect.

Thucydides said:
BV-206 or ST "Bronco" all terrain tracked vehicle.

Because they lack the "fun" and "look cool" potential for good hero photos that "real soldiers" want.  ;D

Excuse me we bought you a whole bunch of these puppies back during the Cold War, what did you do with them? Leave them out in the Snow somewhere?

91407vp.jpg

Seriously years back doing ATC over the lovely bogs of Newfoundland, I thought some sort of light ATV ( like all the friggin hunters zipping around us) would make a good A Ech vehicle for the CQMS and perhaps to drag along heavy crew served weapons etc that we'd be needing to set up into defensive positions. Hands up all those who remember from the Mortar and or MG courses the lovelyphrase "man packed."

Multiple things to answer here...

DAP, saying they increase our vulnerability is a non-starter unless you are doctrinally stating that no soldiers should ever move dismounted anywhere from now on because we are too soft.  All of the other requirements you listed are basically insignificant, as they are cheaper, more fuel efficient, lighter, easier to learn, etc etc than just about everything we have short of adopting bicycles.

Haggis, I know the CF has used them sparingly, which is where I have learned how useful they are.  Because they were locally acquired for an op somewhere or because 3 RCR did a quasi trial with them does not mean that the CF has incorporated them organically like I am suggesting.  My experience with them is building a massive live-fire range with them and we used them to haul sand bags and the heavy SITs all over the place.  I was hooked from then on.

Techno and Rogo, I am not suggesting any sort of fighting vehicle, but a purely logistic-based vehicle.  It is a pack mule for kit that can go almost anywhere (please nobody be a goof and post a photo of an ATV getting stuck or looking at a cliff, you know what I mean by mobility and almost anywhere).  My suggestion is just to have ATVs with trailers or side-by-sides with a cargo area in the back that anything you want could go in.

So to wrap this up, if anyone is trying to imagine a combat vehicle like a german motorcycle with an MG42 on the sidecar you are making this far more complicated than it needs to be.  It's a pack mule that you don't have to worry about walking off on you, that's all.

Yes, the BV 206's puchased during the cold war have apparently been abandoned to rust out somewhere, but this dosn't mean they are not useful vehicles even today (although we would have to buy new BV's or Bronco's today)

They were used with some success in Afghanistan, transporting troops and equipment during OP HARPOON if I recall correctly. Not only was their ability to travers rough terrain unmatched (carrying sections of troops and equipment), but the BV could be airlifted in and out by Chinook. If I were to build a massive live fire range, having five thousand kilograms of "stuff" on one platform seems more efficient than running ATV's back and forth to bring another item.

The idea that anything can be a pure "logistics vehicle" seems a bit out of whack, considering the punishment real logistics vehicles are taking over in the sandbox. Any future enemy will certainly be looking to damage our logistics train, a vehicle which is not limited to roads and has such low ground pressure it does not set off many types of IED, and which is capable of being uparmoured and even armed if the situation requires makes a lot of sense. As for employment, the third company of every battalion (which isn't mechanized) can be "motorized" with this type of vehicle.

Thucydides said:
As for employment, the third fourth company of every battalion (which isn't mechanized) can be "motorized" with this type of vehicle.
Just fixed that.  In the 2013 Force Employment structure, the BG has four Inf Coys: 3 in LAV, 1 in "something else" (and used as force protection).

From an old thread on the Bv206:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28436/post-319771.html#msg319771

The difference is that now we have the CH47s back, with more to follow. 

The ATV would make a nice addition to the kit bag with Bvs operating as either Section Carriers, or where circumstances require as Platoon or CQ vehicles.

Kirkhill said:
From an old thread on the Bv206:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28436/post-319771.html#msg319771

The difference is that now we have the CH47s back, with more to follow. 

The ATV would make a nice addition to the kit bag with Bvs operating as either Section Carriers, or where circumstances require as Platoon or CQ vehicles.
Makes perfect sense.
So, taking this a step further (or more), is there a requirement for all nine battalions to be mechanised?  Or is there a role for an "airmobile" or "Light" brigade?  One that is truly strategically deployable?  We have a (small) fleet of CC-17 Globemasters now, Chinooks on the way and this AGLS with smaller, agile vehicles may be perfect to go where Mech can't go.  (I wouldn't offer anything smaller than a brigade, thus allowing a deployed battlegroup to be rotated, it would have brigade assets, etc). 
Going back to Haiti (again) in our Hemisphere, or elsewhere for that matter, would there be a role for such a brigade, with such lighter vehicles?

I think Haiti is a perfect example of where lighter skin vehicles could make their comeback.

Little to no mine/IED threat is ideal.

More face time = less threat overall in the long term, too.

Back