• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian rescued by Canadian Forces after Arctic accident

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Article Link

An Australian adventurer on a solo-mission to the North Pole was rescued by a Canadian military search team on Thursday night after he fell through the ice about 300 kilometres short of his goal.

Tom Smitheringale, attempting to become the first Australian to trek unassisted to the North Pole, activated his emergency beacon just after noon Thursday, which transmitted a distress signal and gave his exact position, said Jim Pizzey, a member of Smitheringale's support staff in Perth, Australia.

"I got a call just after midnight, western Australia time, that he was in trouble," said Pizzey. "And I immediately went into action to try and figure out how to get my mate rescued."

Pizzey said he first contacted a charter company that might have been able to help get Smitheringale off the ice, but they told him that it would take them a full day to reach the frostbitten and hypothermic man.

"I knew he wasn't hitting that emergency signal if it wasn't serious, so I knew he couldn't wait a day," said Pizzey.

He then contacted the RCMP and the Canadian military to assist in the rescue.

The Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Trenton, Ont. got the call about an hour after the initial distress signal was sent, and a search and rescue team from Yellowknife that happened to be on an exercise in the area was deployed to Smitheringale's location, said JRCC spokesman Capt. Mike Robert.

Although the weather was favourable for the rescue mission, Smitheringale was about 460 kilometres northwest of Canadian Forces Station Alert — the edge of the operating range of the two twin otter search planes and civilian helicopter that were dispatched to the accident site, said Robert.

"Although extra fuel was loaded into the helicopter, the team managed to collect the man with only about five minutes of fuel left," he said.

Smitheringale was picked up around 9 p.m. Thursday and transported to CFS Alert suffering from hypothermia and frostbite in his extremities, said Robert.

CFS Alert, on the northeastern tip of Ellesmere Island in Nunavut, is the most northern permanently inhabited settlement in the world, and is approximately 800 kilometres from the geographic North Pole.

In an email to Pizzey from Smitheringale at CFS Alert, the Aussie adventurer described his harrowing experience as "a bad fall into the ice" and that he "came close to the grave."

But, he added that he is well, and he is "getting the VIP rockstar treatment" from his Canadian rescuers.

More at link

Excellent job!!  :cdn:

Great article and BZ to all who were involved in the rescue!

Man the SARS risk life and limb just about every time the go out. Pushing them selves and their equipment to the limit. They never serve on deployment so no shiny gongs for them other than a CD and what ever they had before they OT-ed. If any group of people deserve some extra recognition it would be them IMHO

Tank Troll said:
They never serve on deployment so no shiny gongs for them other than a CD and what ever they had before they OT-ed. If any group of people deserve some extra recognition it would be them IMHO
While fairly accurate, SAR Techs (as opposed to the deadly respiratory disease) recently returned from deployment to Haiti, so some will be receiving a "gong". Overall, our trade is pretty well represented with a significant number of valourious decorations. A medal Recognizing Search and Rescue however, would definitely help recognize the "blue" segments of aircrew who also put themselves in peril and are usually unsung. More detail on rescue, including how the lucky sap came to be in his predicament herehttp://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2010/04/16/arctic-rescue.html. Good work Jim (103 Sqn) and Shane (former 103 sqn) Refcue!

Venturing alone into unforgiving terrain/weather is foolhardy and almost always requires a search and rescue operation to find the hapless adventurer. Send him a bill.

Michael O'Leary said:
One does not simply walk into ....
Actually it's rather easy to walk into it .The hard part is walking out .
Some years ago had my own little disaster  in the bush after going for a " short walk " in the bush spent almost three days wandering while lost I was lucky ,damned lucky .
Basic skills and a few tools I always have on me saved the day . But it was so damned easy to almost kill oneself .This guy had an even more unforgiving environment to contend with. BZ to the SAR Techs and the people at Alert.

Good on ya SARTECHS! BZ to all. Mr. Dundas, a question..what is the first thing you do when you realize you are lost! You certainly do not wander!

Link appears to be dead. Did they delete the story?

EDIT: http://www.globalnews.ca/world/story.html?id=2915723

The link works for me, but given that the story is nearly nine months old it may be reasonable to expect it disappear sooner or later. Bandwidth costs money, after all.

Back