• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian Sells His Victoria Cross

Blackadder1916

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Sacrifice to sell VC
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21936118-3102,00.html
Article from:  The Courier Mail Mike Colman June 20, 2007 12:00am

KEITH Payne didn't have much time to think before taking the action which earned him the Victoria Cross in 1969, but he thought long before selling it.

On Monday the Vietnam War veteran, one of Australia's last two surviving VC recipients, sold his cross for an undisclosed amount to Maryborough Military and Colonial Museum.

"It was a hard call to make but I felt the time was right," the 74-year-old former professional soldier said yesterday.

The main reason for selling the VC was to provide security for his family; Flo, his wife of 53 years, their five sons, 14 grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

"My boys could have lost their dad," he said.

"I wanted to see them benefit from the medal while I still could."

The reason for selling to Maryborough museum ahead of other buyers was equally heartfelt. Born and raised in Ingham and now living in Mackay, Mr Payne was determined the VC stay in Queensland.

"I was in the army 19 years before I saw a Victoria Cross for the first time and that was when the Queen gave me mine," he said.

On May 24, 1969, Warrant Officer Payne was commanding a company of Vietnamese soldiers in Kontum Province when they were attacked by a large force of North Vietnamese troops.

Although wounded, he held off the attack while supervising the withdrawal of his men.

After the withdrawal it was discovered many of his soldiers had been left behind. Payne went back alone into enemy territory time after time, finding 40 wounded and isolated men and leading them to safety.

Payne was also awarded the US Distinguished Service Cross for his action.

In all he received 23 medals for service in Korea, Malaya and Vietnam. The entire collection was bought by the Maryborough Museum.

With the World War I VC of Captain Alfred Shout selling for $1.2 million last year, pressure on Mr Payne to sell intensified.

It was an approach from retired businessman John Meyers, owner and curator of the Maryborough museum which swayed him.

"I knew it would be well looked after," he said. "It had to go at some time. I've got five sons, what were they going to do, cut it into five pieces?"

For Mr Meyers and his wife Else, the museum is a real labour of love.

A former long-time member of the Army Reserve, Mr Meyers started the museum when he sold his share in a sawmill and hardware business.

"Keith's medals will really help put Maryborough on the tourism map," he said.

Keith Payne is an absolute legend. And he's done another noble thing here i reckon in selling up so as to provide security for his family. Good on you boss.

I definately approve.  It may no longer be in the family but now its in a local museum for everyone see and be proud of.

GreyMatter said:
I definately approve.  It may no longer be in the family but now its in a local museum for everyone see and be proud of.

And at leaste it was him that profited, not someone who found it in a box in some lock up!

dileas

tess

I too am pleased with this sale, and its our heritage now on display for others to see.

Maryborough and surrounding areas is really a nice place. Totally tropical! Genuine paradise for any Canadian

Next time up that way I'll have a squizz.

During the Viet Nam War, only a handful of VC's were won by Australians. Some who were KIA, others who made it through. WO2 Payne I do beleive is the only surviving Viet Nam Vet, the other bloke is a WWII Vet.

Recently the remains of two Australian MIAs were recovered from the region, and are now home and identified. For those that don't know, Australia from 1962-72 sent over 50,000 troops to the war, and lost over 500 personnel. Few 'Nam Vets are still in the system, but you see them now and again. When I first enlisted in 1995, there was plenty.

Greetings from a cold winter's day. Its about 11C out, windy, overcast, but its nothing like -40 of Saskatchewan, ha! By far the coldest day since winter in Iraq. Lunch is over, gotta get back to work.

Cheers,

Wes

Super reason to sell VC
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21940806-662,00.html
Article from: Herald Sun - Neil Wilson June 21, 2007 12:00am

VICTORIA Cross holder Keith Payne said the Federal Government's superannuation reform was a reason he sold his medal to a museum.

The Vietnam War hero is believed to have received more than $1 million, to be paid into a trust, from the Maryborough Military and Colonial Museum in Queensland.

Mr Payne said the decision to sell the medal was tough, but he wanted to avoid any chance of friction among his five sons over what to do with the honour after he died.

"The decision was really brought forward by the superannuation changes the present Howard and Costello Government has brought about," he said.

Mr Payne said the June 30 cut-off for the once-in-a-lifetime chance for investors to transfer up to $1 million into their superannuation had been an important factor.

One of only two surviving Australians to hold the Victoria Cross, he defended his decision to sell the medal as his right.

He said it would assist his family's security.

"Other people are not in the position, the decision is not theirs," Mr Payne, 73, said.

"We're a close family and I didn't want to think the VC could be a cause of breaking up our family.

"Everything is now in place, well before I die or go into a nursing home."

Australia's other living VC holder, World War II veteran Ted Kenna, said yesterday he would not be selling his medal.

"Keith has the right to do whatever he thinks is best for his family," Mr Kenna said from his Hamilton home.

"From our family point of view, it will remain with my wife and I until we die."

Mr Payne said he wanted to clear up the future of his medal.

Last year there was some initial tension among descendants of World War I VC winner Bernard Gordon over whether to sell.

Mr Gordon's VC was auctioned last December for $485,000.

The VC market value was raised in July when media tycoon Kerry Stokes bid a record $1.2 million for Gallipoli hero Alfred Shout's VC.

Mr Stokes donated it to the War Memorial but Mr Payne has said it brought the issue to his mind.

"I have not been able to wear it in public a long time," he said.

"It's too valuable. I've worn a replica."

A group of former military officers in Queensland had tried to raise funds to be able to buy the medal so it could be passed to the Australian War Memorial.

But they were unable to do so and Maryborough museum owner John Meyers made the offer before the superannuation deadline.

Mr Meyers will store the medal in a bank vault but a replica VC will be used in a display on the lives of Keith Payne and his wife Flo.

"While I wouldn't have minded it going to the War Memorial, as a Queenslander I wonder why anyone should have to travel all the way to Canberra if they wish to view a VC," Mr Payne said.

He was awarded the VC for an action in May 1969 in Kontum Province.

He repeatedly went into enemy territory to bring back 40 wounded Vietnamese comrades, despite being wounded in hands and arms.

Not only a brave soldier but a smart one. 

An impressive display, but looks like it may be awkward to actually wear on parade.

Victoria Cross
Medal of the Order of Australia ( OAM )
Australian Active Service Medal ( 1945-75 ) - 4 clasps:  "Korea" - Malaysia" - "Vietnam" - "Thai-Malay"
Korea Medal ( 1950-53 )
United Nations Korea Medal ( 1950-53 )
General Service Medal ( 1962- ) - 1 clasp:  "Malay Peninsula"
Vietnam Medal ( 1965-68 )
Australian Service Medal ( 1945-75 ) - 3 clasps:  "Korea" - "SE Asia" - "PNG"
Queen Elizabeth Silver Jubilee Medal ( 1977 )
Queen Elizabeth Golden Jubilee Medal ( 2002 )
Centenary Medal ( 2001 ) ( Australia )
Defence Force Service Medal ( Australia )
National Medal ( 1975 ) ( Australia )
Australia Defence Medal ( Australia )
Meritorious Service Medal ( MSM ) - 'Commonwealth of Australia' Issue
Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal ( LSGC ) - 'Australia' suspension:
Distinguished Service Cross ( DSC ) ( US issue )
Silver Star ( USA )
Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star ( Rep of Vietnam )
South Vietnam Campaign Medal ( Rep of Vietnam ) - 1 clasp: '1960'
General Service Medal ( Oman )
As Sumood Medal ( Oman )
Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal ( Malaysia )

Back