• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B.C. prison inmates fighting to unionize

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
B.C. prison inmates fighting to unionize
Article Link
The Canadian Press Friday Mar. 4, 2011 4:28 PM PT

Inmates at a British Columbia prison are in the final stages of efforts to form their own union to press for their rights as workers within the institution.

Their lawyer, Natalie Dunbar, said Friday organizers at Mountain Institution in Agassiz are trying to sign up members for ConFederation, Canadian Prisoners' Labour Union, Local 001.

A spokeswoman for the institution said administrators are moving very carefully because no penal institution in Canada has ever been confronted with the issue.

"It's a new element for us," assistant warden Brenda Lamm said. "We've never had inmates trying to organize a labour union before so that's why we're proceeding cautiously and thoughtfully."

Dunbar said there's a lack of resources at federal institutions to address issues that plague prison populations as a workforce, such as proper work boots and qualified first-aid personnel.

Inmates work in the facility's store, the cafeteria and as plumbers' and electricians' assistants. Some also work on the facility's vehicles at the institution's garage and others are considered employed while they take various courses.

"These are Canadian citizens," Dunbar said.

More on link

Why does the phrase, "the inmates are running the asylum" come to mind?

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. As a former Correctional Officer, I am disgusted that the thought of this would even be entertained. If this passes, I will have lost the small bit of faith I have left in our criminal justice system.

Will this now mean the CF will pay fair market value for the crap it gets from Corcan or will it still pay way to much?

Seeing that it's going on in BC....can't say I'm not surprised one bit.

Regards

I think you mean you can't say that you are surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised either, but Mountain is a Fed Facility. That's why this is so sad.  :'(

GAP said:
Dunbar said there's a lack of resources at federal institutions to address issues that plague prison populations as a workforce, such as proper work boots and qualified first-aid personnel.

Inmates work in the facility's store, the cafeteria and as plumbers' and electricians' assistants. Some also work on the facility's vehicles at the institution's garage and others are considered employed while they take various courses.

More on link
If the problem is safety boots issue them to those who require them.
As for first-aid training give that also.
Injured prisoners will only cost us more in the long run. Better first-aid reduces complications from injuries.
If they are looking for better wages that's another story.
I have no problem paying them minimum wage or even twice that. But now then we can deduct room & board + other associated costs (ie; cost of guards, administration, recreation, entertainment, clothing, prescription drugs & heath care, dental ect.)
I'm sure after release they would still have a bill owing. ;D

X Royal said:
I have no problem paying them minimum wage or even twice that. But now then we can deduct room & board + other associated costs (ie; cost of guards, administration, recreation, entertainment, clothing, prescription drugs & heath care, dental ect.)
I'm sure after release they would still have a bill owing. ;D

Exactly.  I would go further and say that normalized wages would hinge on the deduction of associated costs, and ineligibility for social safety net benefits upon release.  Ohh, wouldn't that be a shame that someone gets out of prison, only to be ineligible for welfare and EI, and have CRA garnish their wages for years to come...

Hopefully with criminalization of "working under the table", at least for persons with criminal records, and severe punishments for it.

I think that would make a fair deal...

Maybe I should run for office?  What do you guys think?

I'm sure after release they would still have a bill owing.

Sounds like my RMC paycheck

Back