• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B52's to Diego Garcia

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
6 B52's to Diego Garcia. I would think the B1 might be a better fit or even some B2's.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-deploys-b52-bombers-indian-ocean

There’s already B1’s and B52’s rotated through  there (plus other goodies). These are probably surge aircraft, and there’s probably some extra tankers as well.

OTOH, the atoll has been a thorn in the side of Iran for decades, which makes it a tempting tempting target for a really crappy unconventional surprise that would have almost zero collateral casualties and hurt nobody but the United States.  Tom Clancy stuff, just like drone strikes on terrorist generals.

Guessing much better defended & much better area surveillance than the airstrip in Africa that just got attacked.  Tempting target for unconventional attack, yes.  But I’m guessing not as vulnerable. 

Not a plane to put over contested airspace- but each B-52 can carry and shoot 20x tomahawks as standoff weapons. That’s a lot of potential cruise missiles.

Here is the picture that RCN should be using to lobby for said "flat top"

Attachments

• australia-navy-carrier-gty-ps-200106_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg
    australia-navy-carrier-gty-ps-200106_hpEmbed_3x2_992.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 150
Spencer100 said:
Here is the picture that RCN should be using to lobby for said "flat top"

I don't know what the connection this post has to do with the topic, but if the picture was used as a "lobbying tool", the first thought of a politician looking to protect the public purse would probably be in the nature of "what a lot of empty space, what is the purpose".

Back