• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bag for Basic Training

Air Force Tech

Inactive
Reaction score
Quick question.  In the following link, which bag would be better for taking my stuff to BMQ?  Item #148 or Item #138?

http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/spplsgt/Bags2.htm    or perhaps the bag found here      http://www.wheelersonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=3009

Thanks.

Are you talking about a bag for your military or civilian kit?

Thanks Big Foot.

I however do not own a suitcase.  Would that in fact be a better option than buying one of the 3 duffle bags?

you need a bag to carry somethings to basic with you...
its not a life or death situation, goto wallmart and buy a duffel bag.
you'll get 2 kit bags to carry your military kit in once you get there.

Yeah seriously stick with something civie looking. You'll get issued duffels, barrack box etc.

It's a fun box to carry your things in, lockable, secure and I believe it comes with a very specific way to lay out your belongings inside of it. Made of plastic or metal not sure.

After basic though it's just an easy way to get your things from A to B, hard to break.

its plastic (or fiberglass hard to tell) and their the thing that follows you around for your CF life.

How large is these barracks boxes?  just wondering if it is large enough to put all of your personal belongings in?

The barracks boxes are big enough when you go to BMQ you won't need to bring a lot of personal kit with you less crap to keep track :D of just some advice :salute:

The army will provide you withp lenty of space to store all your military kit (At the moment, I've got a ruck-sack, two large duffel bags, and a plastic barracks box). As for your civillian kit, a normal duffle bag you'd find at WalMart is more then sufficient.

Don't bother with any of the army looking stuff you see on websites, it's largely pointless, and a waste of money.

Just a Sig Op said:
The army will provide you withp lenty of space to store all your military kit (At the moment, I've got a ruck-sack, two large duffel bags, and a plastic barracks box). As for your civillian kit, a normal duffle bag you'd find at WalMart is more then sufficient.

Don't bother with any of the army looking stuff you see on websites, it's largely pointless, and a waste of money.

Why do you call the stuff pointless? Maybe because you get enough army stuff at BMQ you don't need to buy anymore right?

Well for one thing if you really want to bring undue attention to yourself then certainly bring a nice military looking bag (especially the cadpat one).  Maybe they will call you super soldier. 8)

Hey, anybody know where I can get some Cadpat underoos  ;D Seriously dude, if you go strolling in there with a Cadpat bag, the instructors have you tagged from minute one, under the radar Jedi, under the radar  8)

Bull_STR said:
How large is these barracks boxes?   just wondering if it is large enough to put all of your personal belongings in?

Barrack boxes are actually pretty big...I just measured mine downstairs and it's about 24"x19"x12"  (length/width/depth).  Probably the most hated piece of luggage in the eyes of Air Canada baggage handlers.

As was pointed out, you don't want to bring undue attention to yourself, and further, as far as military stuff goes, for duffle bags, they'll issue you more then what you need, for civillian stuff, you're perfectly fine buying a cheaper civillian pattern alternative.

After looking at the first link the original poster posted, I have to admit that I didn't look at it completely the first time, only saw the backpack, not the two duffle bags, but a little more on why you wouldn't want to buy army looking kit before you know what you need, is the small rucksack on that page is a a definite no buy... it's clearly either an old design, or based on an old design, and more importantly, it's made out of cotton... a definite no no in modern load-bearing equiment (Absorbs water like a sponge, making it heavier, and making it freeze in the winter)

Back