• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bagotville and English [Merged]

I live in Bagotville. I came here first as an English speaking spouse. The answer to your question is no. Outside of the military community there are absolutely no English speakers. Even on base, many people have spent their entire career in this one base bouncing around from unit to unit. I am sorry to be blunt, but you should choose Cold Lake if working is important to your wife, because there is nothing here for English people who are not military.

That being said, your wife can go to the base's language school full time to learn French. But it will likely be two years of full time study before she is close to bilingual enough to get a job here.

Cold Lake kinda sucks when compared to Bagtown.  Having said that, I am French.  If you or your wife have a mental blok vs French it'll difficult (everything).  People speak very little (to no) English.  If you go out there with an open mind, ready to learn the language and your wife is willing to stay at home and learn French for a while before she can get a job, you're in for a nice surprise.  Bagotville (Saguenay) has everything a large city has to offer AND some of the best outdoors in Canada (hunting, fishing, hiking, skiing, dog sled, etc)

Very few people come here and hate it. Many people go to Cold Lake and are miserable.

My 2 (somewhat biased) cents.

kolkim said:
I am an AWS Tech, currently in Borden thinking about my first posting. Cold Lake or Baggotville.

My one question is how easy would it be for my spouse to find a job in either Baggotville or Saguenay when she or I don't speak any french at all? Impossible-Very hard, or somewhat hard.
People who have been to Baggotville please, and if you have been to both Cold Lake and Baggotville let me know how your thoughts

Don't fall into the trap that you have to choose Cold Lake or Bagotville. Your preferences are your preferences. They will post you where ever they want but if you really don't want to go to bagotville or Cold Lake, ask for something else. The worst they can say is no.

Back