• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Reconaissance Patrolman Course

The routine I used to get ready for my ISCC was 6 weeks of wearing the 82 pattern webbing and light heavy ruck (75 lbs). I went to the nearby ski hill. I humped the kit up and down the steep hill for 1.5-2 hours. Than dumped the ruck and sprinted up hill, walked down hill for 30 minutes.

I had no fitness issues at all during the course. Even after I injured my ankle, I was able to get through the last FTX on a swollen ankle.

Get your head on straight. The ISCC had a pretty tough patrolling phase.

If you show up for a recce course in Petawawa without a strong foundation in rucking, you're done. 2x 5km runs per week won't strengthen your legs or toughen your feet up.
I've personally never struggled with rucking on course or exercise, or felt the need to do it as part of my personal PT routine but then again I've probably not done rucking to a recce course level so I'll reconsider I guess. IMO the foundation of good lower body strength is still heavy squats however.

With regards to the physical fitness aspect, my PT routine is focussed on heavy lifting and running. I do heavy compound lifts 3x week( I alternates between squats-bench press-barbell rows and squats-overhead press- deadlifts, with some additional push ups, sit ups, chinups and dips thrown in as well and I do progressive overload ), and I end each workout with a quick interval session with Frag vest/ training plates on. I also run 5km 2x a week working on improving my time. I suppose I could add some rucking to my PT routine but honestly I feel like if you lift heavy, then ruck marches aren't a problem usually.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. Let me know what you think about my PT and wether it's good prep for a recce course.

Ummm.... not really. You'll thunder in if you're not 'Rucking Fit'.

The good old BFT distance (13kms) isn't bad, but you should probably try to push that out to a 16km march within 2.5 hours, carrying about 55lbs at least, I would say. Add some hill sessions into the mix as well.

If you haven't heard of the CAF Get Out and Ruck FB page you should see what even some of the 'non-Infantry' types, both male a female, are pulling off in terms of weights carried and distance travelled.... just because they want to. It's pretty impressive.

I've personally never struggled with rucking on course or exercise, or felt the need to do it as part of my personal PT routine but then again I've probably not done rucking to a recce course level so I'll reconsider I guess. IMO the foundation of good lower body strength is still heavy squats however.
If you played hockey when younger or still play, odds are you never needed to do squats.

Body type will often determine what exercise routine is best for preparation for specific needs.

At the end of the day, as long as you are physically fit, the mental game is going to be a lot more important.

With regards to the physical fitness aspect, my PT routine is focussed on heavy lifting and running. I do heavy compound lifts 3x week( I alternates between squats-bench press-barbell rows and squats-overhead press- deadlifts, with some additional push ups, sit ups, chinups and dips thrown in as well and I do progressive overload ), and I end each workout with a quick interval session with Frag vest/ training plates on. I also run 5km 2x a week working on improving my time. I suppose I could add some rucking to my PT routine but honestly I feel like if you lift heavy, then ruck marches aren't a problem usually.

Thanks again for the feedback guys. Let me know what you think about my PT and wether it's good prep for a recce course.
Your body gets used to whatever fitness routine you put it through. While having a base fitness level is awesome and an assett rucking and running is its own thing and you have to do it and do it a lot before this course. If you cannot complete a BFT like it was nothing this course will hurt.

If you are not passionate about recce I do no think this course would be for you honestly. It is not something I would do to just get a course there are courses that are much easier on the body for that.

No shame in that I turned down Recce and jump multiple times because while I was very fit they held zero interest to me. I was passionate about assault pioneers and my weapons courses. I of course also had to prep like I am telling you for my infantry leadership courses.

If you show up for a recce course in Petawawa without a strong foundation in rucking, you're done. 2x 5km runs per week won't strengthen your legs or toughen your feet up.
How do they do land nav these days, map and compass or GPS or both?

On a recce course I assume you're only issued map and compass. But at the unit level we have some DAGRs now, though m&c is still the way to go because those will never fail you.

On a recce course I assume you're only issued map and compass. But at the unit level we have some DAGRs now, though m&c is still the way to go because those will never fail you.
Just curious what the curriculum is on the recce course about that.

Use to be both PLGR and Map and Compass - when DAGR replaced PLGR96 I would assume it replaced it in the syllabus as well.

One needs to be able to use both.

Use to be both PLGR and Map and Compass - when DAGR replaced PLGR96 I would assume it replaced it in the syllabus as well.

One needs to be able to use both.
When I went through, the PLGR was a rare commodity. We only did map and compass and the other various land nav techniques.

Depends on the unit/sub unit but I'd say a mix of both, leaning towards the DAGR.

We found that guys who relied on DAGRs too much lost their map and compass skills. Vice versa for the map and compass.

Looking at the lesson plans, about 2 days and 15 lessons on the DAGR. Some of the lessons are pretty short.

Map and Compass for the nav course; for the patrols themselves I think they allow GPS. I know on BMOQ-A it’s day map and compass night by GPS. A lot of the GPS vs Map and Compass is really course staff dependant, and while I totally agree in the value of map and compass GPS use is also a skill and it should be taught somewhere and practiced.

Map and Compass for the nav course; for the patrols themselves I think they allow GPS. I know on BMOQ-A it’s day map and compass night by GPS. A lot of the GPS vs Map and Compass is really course staff dependant, and while I totally agree in the value of map and compass GPS use is also a skill and it should be taught somewhere and practiced.
GPS etc are nice things to have. Once the EMP takes out everything electronic guess what you're left with.

Back