• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BC Murders / MB Manhunt of Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky

MilEME09 said:
I am sure an Aurora will find them in short order

It’d be cheaper and more efficient to use a few choppers.  Send in a few Cyclones.

MilEME09 said:
Just hit the news, RCMP requested CAF help in the search, for now it is in the form of aircraft. I am sure an Aurora will find them in short order

Depending on the search area (size, type, etc) the 140 could be the best asset.  It does bring a great ONSTA ability and good comm's ability.

I'd like to see a 140 supported by fling-wing.  :2c: 

Something that has a thermal sensor should do the trick. RCMP say that the suspects may have left the area by changing their appearance. 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/canadian-military-steps-in-as-search-for-b-c-murder-suspects-continues-1.4524759

tomahawk6 said:
Something that has a thermal sensor should do the trick. RCMP say that the suspects may have left the area by changing their appearance. 

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/canadian-military-steps-in-as-search-for-b-c-murder-suspects-continues-1.4524759

The problem would be to positively ID them.  IR just tracks heat signature - it can't tell apart people's appearances.

Dimsum said:
The problem would be to positively ID them.  IR just tracks heat signature - it can't tell apart people's appearances.

Yup, but seeing one or two people where you wouldn’t expect them to be, or a heat signature off a cabin... These are all things a ground team can check out. More critically, they can help eyeball with thermal for a ground team to identify potential ambushes.

A camera/sensor equipped Dash-8 from Transport Canada was part of the takedown for the Moncton shooter. This is something the Mounties have dealt with before.

Dimsum said:

EON...getting to Poss or Prob is better than....nothing?

Too bad the new SAR birds aren't in service with their newfangled gadgets: This would be good training !!!

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Too bad the new SAR birds aren't in service with their newfangled gadgets: This would be good training !!!

Their newfangled gadgets are almost exactly the same as the current ones on the Aurora (I think MX-15 instead of MX-20?).  The sensor operators are AES Ops, so those folks already have the training/experience.  I guess the pilots may get some training, but they already know how to fly search patterns by that point.

A Herc is on the ground now. I couldn’t get a good look from the twitter photos but I think I read ‘338’ stenciled just forward and below the front passenger doors, if this helps. Can I surmise that our newer hercs have good surveillance equipment to assist with SAR?

I didn't mean training on the equipment - which I know they already know how to operate. I meant good training in locating a couple of warm bodies in the middle of the Canadian forested wilderness (and don't tell me Aurora operators are used to this, I wouldn't believe you.  :eek:rly:) since in the present case, the life of injured/lost people would not be a stake so - less time constraints.

I assumed that, even if you know what you are looking for and the operating concepts, nay new platfrom requires some getting used to.

Brihard said:
A Herc is on the ground now. I couldn’t get a good look from the twitter photos but I think I read ‘338’ stenciled just forward and below the front passenger doors, if this helps. Can I surmise that our newer hercs have good surveillance equipment to assist with SAR?

That's a H-model Herc, 28 years in CAF service.

http://www.rwrwalker.ca/CF_CC130.html

first date: 7 February 1991 - Taken on strength

Identified as a CC-130H90 or H90(T) for maintenance purposes, based on year of build.  Designations KCC-130H is unofficial, designated as CC-130H(T) for engineering purposes.  Converted to air-to-air tanker configuration by Northwest Industries, Edmonton, Alberta and assigned to 435(T&R) Squadron based at CFB Namao, Edmonton AB in 1992.  With No. 435 Squadron at CFB Edmonton, Alberta in 1994.  Moved to CFB Winnipeg with this unit in 1994.  Still with this unit in 1995, and 2005 at CFB Winnipeg.  Fuel imbalance caused the aircraft to slowly tilt onto its left wing during an overnight stop at CFS Alert, Nunavut on 24 November 2005.  Minor damage to wing tip.  Took part in training exercises at Key West NAS, Florida in March 2012, operated by 435 Squadron.  Still active at Winnipeg in January 2013.

Something always seemed pretty off about them going up that way towards a complete dead end... at first I thought it was because they were hysterical and just did something absolutely stupid as a result. But they've somewhat successfully disappeared, and I'm starting to question if it wasn't deliberate, like if they knew someone there that would help them.... or that they're already dead in the woods, suicide or hypothermia.

ballz said:
Something always seemed pretty off about them going up that way towards a complete dead end... at first I thought it was because they were hysterical and just did something absolutely stupid as a result. But they've somewhat successfully disappeared, and I'm starting to question if it wasn't deliberate, like if they knew someone there that would help them.... or that they're already dead in the woods, suicide or hypothermia.

Or perhaps they were meeting someone? it's possible they could of had help to escape the area

Oldgateboatdriver said:
(and don't tell me Aurora operators are used to this, I wouldn't believe you.  :eek:rly:)

We’ve done plenty of overland training with the Army, in Canada.  Not all of our training is performed in the maritime environment.  I’ve also flown a few overland training missions in the UK.

It is not rocket science.  Point, look, and optimize. 

Believe it or not, Aurora crews have the training required to take on this task.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
I didn't mean training on the equipment - which I know they already know how to operate. I meant good training in locating a couple of warm bodies in the middle of the Canadian forested wilderness (and don't tell me Aurora operators are used to this, I wouldn't believe you.  :eek:rly:) since in the present case, the life of injured/lost people would not be a stake so - less time constraints.

I assumed that, even if you know what you are looking for and the operating concepts, nay new platfrom requires some getting used to.

I've actually trained with an Aurora before when I was still an Infanteer.  They can do the job just fine.

It's pretty simple "hey plane I need you to ISR soak the road between Grid X and Grid Y, anything there?"

They do it and tell us what they see  8)

Brihard said:
Can I surmise that our newer hercs have good surveillance equipment to assist with SAR?

Not as far as I know. 

Dimsum said:
Not as far as I know.

Maybe they deployed this air asset to support the RCMP:

DH1_2012_74_100_730x330.jpg

;D

Back