• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Be in shape when you arrive on course...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alea said:
Thank you :)
Then I will really have a talk with my trainer tomorrow ;) as I was never told to stretch before any type of exercise. Everyone always said that stretching cold muscles is not really doing anything.

Alea

I have also read this.
I do not stretch after warming up. I stretch at the end.

WRT Streching

There seems to be some confusion about what it means to stretch before exercising, and as to what cold muscles are.

Warming up:

There are a few ways that you can do this. Warming up just means getting your joints lubricated, and blood delivered to your muscles/tendons/ligaments, priming them for a good work-out.

You don't stretch cold muscles, but stretching before a work-out does not mean you are stretching cold muscles. I have noticed that most people advocating stretching before working out, have been talking about 5-10 minutes of running before the stretch. After 5-10 minutes of running, your muscles are no longer "cold" and static stretching is quite alright.

However, without that run or bike or whatever, your muscles are cold. This why there are dynamic (aka, moving) stretches such as high knees, running backwards, squat jumps, lunges, arm circles, etc etc etc. A lot of people seem to think they don't stretch during warm-up / before an exercise because they are doing these types of stretches. What they don't realize is they are stretching during their warm-up, as opposed to warming up and then stretching.

As for cooling down and stretching AFTER a workout, this serves a completely different purpose than warming up/streching before a workout. It enhances/maintains flexibility, and reduces muscle soreness. I actually slowly run and then walk for about 10 minutes after interval training and then stretch, since the slow run and walk also serve the purpose of reducing soreness.

EDIT to add:

Eye In The Sky said:
IMO, this debate over stretching/not stretching is soon going to be  :deadhorse:

Not if the "experts" are any indication... The status quo for stretching has changed back and forth and in between now for years.

Alea said:
Thank you :)
Then I will really have a talk with my trainer tomorrow ;) as I was never told to stretch before any type of exercise. Everyone always said that stretching cold muscles is not really doing anything.

Alea

Stretching cold muscles is not the same as stretching muscles that have been running/jogging/etc for 5-10 minutes.

Ask your trainer whatever you like, keep in mind that not all trainers follow the same theory, not all trainers have the same certs, not all trainers are good or bad, and some of them are awful, not all trainers are experienced or inexperienced, and that not all theory stays the same, current, or relevant.

In other words, your trainer may do one thing, and the trainer at the gym across the street may do another. Neither one may be wrong, although one may be a hell of a lot more right...

Hasn't this been covered ad nauseum in several threads? 

PMedMoe said:

Yes, and most of them had the requisite  :deadhorse:  and    :argument: to go with them.

PMedMoe said:

I totally agree with PMedMoe... it has been covered ad nauseum!
And it is always best to have some advices from Medical personal or experienced trainers when it comes to health/exercise.

Have a good day all,
Alea

Alea said:
I totally agree with PMedMoe... it has been covered ad nauseum!

Ad nauseam even!  ;)

And it is always best to have some advices from Medical personal or experienced trainers when it comes to health/exercise.

Referring back to the article I posted previously - I would say the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (aka CDC) qualify as "medical personnel".  ;D

Occam said:
Ad nauseam even!  ;)

Referring back to the article I posted previously - I would say the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (aka CDC) qualify as "medical personnel".  ;D

She was sick and the a made it down the drain.  ;D

Much like the topic.

Huh, never knew it was spelled that way.  Go figure.    :)

Apollo Diomedes said:
Also, without trying to be a smartass, there are some very very VERY obese soldiers in the Canadian Forces. Like, epic sized.
Clearly they cannot pass a fitness test, be it a run or the (more applicable) BFT.  Do they face any repercussions?  Are they put on a sort of boot camp workout where they have to loose X amount of weight by X date or are they just left to their own?  A friend of mine's husband was a mechanic in the US army and after being put on a probation for being over weight and failing to get in shape, they kicked him out of the army.
Do we have anything like that?

You automatically assume because of the weight that they are not able to complete their PT?

I'm 315 pounds and I can complete the PT without any problems at all, and infact I love doing it.  Allbeit, my height and body type let me get away with that weight a little bit easier than others, and I could stand to lose some body fat, but that kind of thing is all a work in progress. 

Done, done and done.

This has already made it to the sewer.............for the millionth time.

Milnet.ca Staff

Lastly, from Technoviking:

Another nine candidates were sent off courses from the Infantry School for failing to meet the Canadian Forces' Minimum Fitness Standard, to wit, the CF ExPres Test.  The failures ranged from pushups to the grip test.  As a reminder, pushups measures physical endurance and the grip test measures physical strength.
Info here
More detailed info, including the standards, is here
For info: it matters not that you can do 35 bad form pushups.  You must complete the pushups according to the standards as laid out in the manual. 

My advice to anyone who is going to the Infantry School, or any CTC school for that matter, is to train to the standard and to aim to exceed it.  Also, for serving members of the CF, there are adverse administrative measures that are completed if one fails an ExPres test, which include an Initial Counselling and remedial PT.  Further failure can result in release from the CF.  So, a cease training/recourse is not as bad as for serving members.  Also, take note that in the past, the school used to allow those who failed to meet the standard to carry on training.  Post course studies have shown that a significant percentage of these people failed to complete their course, usually due to injuring themselves.

Also note that the standard is being met by a very large majority of those assessed: on the order of 95%.  So, get fit and get training!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back