• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Berets

GGHG_Cadet

Reaction score
Hi all I was wondering if anyone could tell me what colour of Beret each trade wears I already know a few of them but could someone please tell me all of them.
I know these ones:
Armoured-Black
Infantry-Green
Airborne-Maroon
Peacekeepers-Light Blue
Veterans-Blue
thats it

its not just the infantry that wears the green beret

when u say veterens? u mean the legion?

Armoured-Black
Infantry-Green
Airborne-Maroon
Peacekeepers-Light Blue
Veterans-Blue

Navy also wears black, green is worn by pretty much anyone else not otherwise listed

MP - red
air force - blue
UN peacekeepers wear light blue, NATO ones wear their normal headdress

Highland infantry units don‘t wear the beret at all; they wear the Balmoral.

that‘s about it, in Canada; other countries are a bit different

Don‘t the SAR techs have their own??

SARs have Orange/Red. The Navy ones are really blue. They have the same stock number as the Blk, but are listed as navy blue. I know this is stange, but the orignal navy ones were navy blue, I have one that I picked up on tour from the RQM.But DND screwed up and get the blk ones with a different NSN now.

Like everything else in the military, Unification completely screwed up any traditional association between colour and trade with respect to berets. The only exception were the airborne and the armoured.

The beret was first adopted by Canadian tankers well before WW II, in black, aping the Royal Armoured Corps beret.

In 1943, the khaki beret was introduced throughout the Army to replace the khaki Field Service Cap (a wedge cap very much like the one worn by Air Cadets today). The Canadian paratroopers adopted the maroon beret during WW II as well.

Postwar, certain regiments adopted certain colours; I think the Westminsters were associated with a red beret, as were the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment. I know at least one Hasty P WW II vet who wears a red beret with his Legion kit - it is a reference to the Old Red Patch the 1st Div wore in WW II, and to whom the Hasty P‘s belonged.

When my dad was in the artillery he wore a midnight blue beret (he remembers it as being black, but I recently found out differently - the midnight blue appears to be a post WW II issue to many different corps, IIRC).

The green beret was worn by Commando troops in WW II.

With unification,the CF Green beret was adopted as universal headdress with the exceptions listed in this thread (Highlanders, Scottish, airborne, armoured) and the link to the commandos of old was gone.

The Green Berets worn by special forces in the States were a fairly new concept when the CF unified, and Vietnam-bound Green Berets often did so with CF berets on their head. I take it they were prized for their construction and high quality materials. (You laugh at the thought, eh?)

The red beret went to the meatheads; British Provost Corps troops have always worn red covers on their hats to identify themselves. Oddly, Canadian MPs in WW II refused to wear the red covers (with some exceptions in Canada) because the British "battle police" had earned such a nasty reputation in WW I - the Canadian MPs did not want to be associated with that, and chose to wear plain khaki berets from 1943-45 in NW Europe and Italy. Ironic that they now wear the red beret so proudly.

You have to be MP trained to qualify for the red beret incidentally; some MPs do wear the green beret and Thunderbird cap badge until they qualify in trade.

Hmm, I forget when amalgamation was but I am sure it was after I received my discharge in 52 or 53. I was issued an Infantry Corp Red Beret while I was still in Sunnybrooke Hospital. I still wear it at parades.

Ah, that makes more sense, Art - the corps wore midnight blue but the infantry corps wore red? I don‘t have much info on "leg" infantry units in the 1953-67 era so I stand corrected. A Hasty P vet explained to me that the red was for first div, but I can see it being the traditional scarlet of the infantry, as well.

Back