• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bettering Fitness Standards while Waiting for BMQ

Raquette

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm 5'11'' 155lb.

I can do 30 Push Up.
Around 50 Sit-up.
I can run 3 km with no problem.
Grip Test: 105

Will I be ok for the BMQ, I mean does I have the minimum requirement to not Initally Fail because of my fitness level ?

You should easily pass the fitness test without a problem and you are well on your way to making basic easier on yourself. The only thing you could do is get up to running longer distances if you're not already. Good luck though and have fun.

i am 5'7
190 lbs.
grip test = 90
do 3km. alright i guess

i passed the physical!!!!!!!

What is the pace of the runs at BMQ, does anyone know or remember?  Will running an 8-8:30 min mile for 3 miles be acceptable at BMQ?

Its difficult for those that have been thorugh the course to answer questions like that.  You'll get alot of opinions on how fit you should be, on distances, and
endurance.  The simple answer is if you meet the minimum requirements you should not have a problem physically getting through BMQ.

BMQ in and of itself is not a fitness course.  You'll walk around, march around, swim, climb over obstacles, rush to meet timings, stand around and wait,
prepare for tests, rush to get your kit in order, laundry, practice drill, and all with little sleep and little time for anything but course work.  This may not seem
like a big deal physically, but with various stresses and lack of sleep, you feel pretty fatigued.  Graduation day is one you'll feel pride in yourself and the
platoon.

Anyways, you'll get various PT periods per week.  They will involve running, circuit training, strength training, swimming, obstacles, and general all
around fun.  Each week for the first five weeks they ramp you up from 3 km runs to 6 km runs once a week.  You'll likely get two periods of ruck marches
per week for distances of 3 km to 10 km over six weeks.  There are numerous drill periods and marching around from building to building.  Then theres
Farham at the end of the course and that helps top improve the endurance.  The runs are timed but there is no pass or fail.  Each recruit runs at their
own pace, yet you will be expected to show drive and improve during the course.

If you're a fitness fanatic particularily strength or cardio (like having a bench press around or running marathons) likely you'll feel BMQ is not
challenging (physically) except for other aspects of the course.  Don't worry about it.  Once you get out of BMQ and move on to your training or gaining unit,
there'll be a gym or a track around and getting back into it isn't a problem.

spenco said:
What is the pace of the runs at BMQ, does anyone know or remember?   Will running an 8-8:30 min mile for 3 miles be acceptable at BMQ?

As an NCM you do a whooping 1 run, in a pt course and its done at your own pace. Only the officers do daily runs.

When I did my PT test, the guy said that on regular force BMQ we would have to do another PT test in our second week or thereabouts with a shuttle run. Anyone have any more information about this? Sprinting is actually pretty easy, so I dont anticipate any problems.

I have seen some disgusting fatties make it through BMQ. There was one person I remember who seemed like her pre-BMQ training plan invovled stuffing as much pie in her face as humanly possible. She looked like a beached orca that sprouted legs... I used to love it when she cried on our webgear marches. This person was hated not because she was out of shape, but because it was obvious she didn't even try. On the other hand, a good friend of mine was pretty of out of shape when he got to Meaford. You could look at pictures of him before he joined the military and see that there was some serious flab around the midsection. But during every PT session he ran untill he puked. By the end of it, this guy had just as much respect from the course then the guy who got the Fitness award on graduation. He's still not the best runner, but he's in much better shape and I KNOW that when things get rough he WILL NOT QUIT.

Yes, the PT standards are pretty low. But you're pride should push you much farther then the bare minimum. DRIVE is contagious. The more you show, the more others will show. But if you choose to have no drive whatsoever, you'll be a hated and treated like a sack of shit because you're bringing everyone else down.

There is a PT test during BMQ that all recruits must pass.  Its not much different from the PT test in the application process except for the addition
of a swimming test.  Its there to ensure the recruits still meet the minimum requirements.  If the recruit does not pass the test, then a re-test is done in the seventh week.  If the recruit doesn't pass the re-test, then the recruit may face being recoursed into another platoon at the worst.  Thats why its better to be in decent physical shape before entering BMQ.  If its just a swimming failure, then the recruit may be marked as a non-swimmer and its dealth with later at the training or gaining unit. 

As Ghostwalk wrote, you get all fitness levels going through BMQ and therea alot of things just as important as fitness (teamwork, drive, sense of humor).  Some may have received injuries prior to or during BMQ that may limit their physical capability during the PT tests.  Make sure during BMQ that you don't horse around too much or do something silly to get hurt. 

The other side of it is that a majority people train before BMQ and get into decent shape.  Once they get out of BMQ to their units, then the fitness training takes a back-seat to other day to day activities.  Keep up the training routine once you get out there and its easier to maintain and improve a fitness tempo.  In many units, its up to the individual.

Much of the running and physical aspect is mental anyway...

Myself being somone who can't run worth a darn, I have this advice to offer to anyone in the same situation... don't think about the run, don't think about running. Think only about spacing... when running, you'll likely be running in groups... always keep your mind on staying X distance away from the person in front of you, and refuse to let yourself fall back. Even when you feel like there's no way you can go any further, as long as you don't tell them to stop your legs will keep going, so don't think about them and let them run on their own. You're just along for the ride, they're doing the work.

Just a Sig Op said:
Much of the running and physical aspect is mental anyway...

Myself being somone who can't run worth a darn, I have this advice to offer to anyone in the same situation... don't think about the run, don't think about running. Think only about spacing... when running, you'll likely be running in groups... always keep your mind on staying X distance away from the person in front of you, and refuse to let yourself fall back. Even when you feel like there's no way you can go any further, as long as you don't tell them to stop your legs will keep going, so don't think about them and let them run on their own. You're just along for the ride, they're doing the work.

Good post, quite inspiring for all us recruits.

great advice sig! i've noticed the same thing, and my problem isn't not being able to do the running component, its afterwords, when being "out of shape" starts attacking my body and makes every muscle as sore as a mofo. but, thankfully the cure to sore muscles for me is more running, heh, as long as the adrenalin is there i'm good to go! anyone know any tried and true methods for relaxing and making muscles less sore after a good hard run?

Proper stretching and a "cool-down"  are the things I've been taught in karate. Basically, whatever you do when you warm up, do it after your exercise (a light jog, stretching every muscle you used, crap like that). That way your body won't "crash" by going from a highly active state to a relatively inactive state.

You get alot of secondary training.  All the marching, drill practice, moving here and there, the PT cross-training classes,
prepares the body and the legs for running and Farnham.  Its more about perseverance because to get into BMQ you
got thru the application process.  Don't get too worked up about the fitness program.  Theres more to BMQ than running
and you'll look back on the course knowing you got alot out of it and all the fun you had.

What do people do during a grip test, is there anything to prepare for one of those.  I know it tests your muscle strength, but what do you use for it?  And if anyone has any advise on running that would be great, I know I have posted things before like this....and I have tried some different things, and it did help a little, just, i still can't run that fast.  So if anyone has any different ideas, that would be great, other then, keep running, and pushing your limits. ;D  Sorry to anyone who thinks this is annoying, but I need help.

You'll get many different opinions here and everyone trains in the way that suits them.  The 'net has alot of useful information on running,
strength training and flexibility exercises.

One thing to do is watch the BMQ/recruitment video on the CF recuiting site:
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/btraining/cflrs_e.aspx

Take a look at the type of training you face; cardio, strength, endurance, and flexibility.  Try a fitness test at home and
see how you can do.  How many push-ups and sit-ups can you do, and how long does it take you to run 2.5 km?  This
will give you a baseline fitness level and indicate what you need to work on.

If you're serious about the military, go to a gym like GoodLife and talk to a fitness trainer or the CFRC could put you in
touch with a PSP trainer or someone knowledgable.  They'll help you to design a program for your needs.

Usually, the person in the application process has limited time to improve their fitness level so it may be important to
use time well.  After BMQ, a more regular fitness program may be better.

Personally, I use a overall body weight program, sports, and jogging for training.

The grip test is kinda like how hard you can squeeze.  Forearm and hand strength testing your ability to hold onto
something.

When it comes to training for running, get somebody to run with you, or even follow you on a bike, it will be a lot easier to push on when you want to quit.   If you are worried about your running speed, try something like 10 minutes running, 1 minute walking (or cut down the time if thats too much) and try to feel quick, without overdoing it.   I have been training to run a 5 mile leg of a marathon relay, and that is one of the things that my coach has told me to do.   You need to work on speed like that, then do a long continuous run maybe once a week. If you know any track coaches or distance runners, they should be able to help you out.

Back