• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BGen Ménard relieved of Afganistan Comd & other fall-outs

According to

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1028156--ex-afghan-commander-accused-of-illicit-sex-pleads-guilty?bn=1

he will actually retain his previous rank, despite the court sentence. How does that work?

Good2Golf said:
Likely more of an impact to his ego as he will only be able to market himself as "Col (Ret'd)"...back down with the likes of Col (Ret'd) Drapeau, now.  :'( (not)
Apparently he hasn't been able to find a job...

If you opened the news item you would read:

"Langlois was convicted in a summary trial last Sept. 28 of one count of conduct to the prejudice of good order and discipline.

She was reprimanded and fined $700."

Brutus said:
According to

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1028156--ex-afghan-commander-accused-of-illicit-sex-pleads-guilty?bn=1

he will actually retain his previous rank, despite the court sentence. How does that work?

Actually, he doesn't retain any previous rank since he is now a civilian and his only connection to the CF is as a former member.  However, since Mr.* Menard was honourably released prior to the court-martial and imposition of sentence, QR&O 15.09 applies and thus is permitted to use the rank title (with "Retired" modifier) he used immediately prior to his retirement.

15.09 – USE OF RANK TITLE AND WEARING OF
UNIFORM AFTER RELEASE

(1) The Retired Lists maintained by the Canadian Forces
were abolished on 26 February 1970.

(2) A former officer or non-commissioned member who
was honorably released prior to or after the coming into
force of this article after having served in the Canadian
Forces for not less than 10 years, may use the rank title
held by him or the designation of rank authorized to be
used by him at the time of his release
and, when so used,
the word “(Retired)” or its abbreviation “(Ret’d)” shall be
included.

* Use of "Mr." is only as a device to show that BGen (Ret'd) Menard is not legally entitled to be recognized (and referred to) by his former rank by anyone.

Of course, for further confusion, it is possible that BGen(ret'd) Menard released from the Canadian Forces to spur an immediate annuity under the CFSA, and immediately thereafter re-enrolled into the Supplementary Reserve.

In which case, legally, he would now be Col Menard, though as a member of the Sup Res it would be unusual to use the rank in any formal context.

So, is he now properly referred to a Col (Ret'd) Daniel Menard?

Infanteer said:
So, is he now properly referred to a Col (Ret'd) Daniel Menard?

I think he's going to try and avoid situations where that issue will come up. Regardless of what his title is now, the stigma of hit actions are going to follow him for the rest of his life.

I think Mr. Daniel Menard suits him just fine. Just another douche that broke the rules and got what he had coming. What do they say about building a thousand bridges again? ::)

Just my  :2c:

I am going to make a bold prediction here:

He will land on his feet and acquire employment in the private sector, making more money than what he did as a CF general.

Look at pro atheletes who constantly break the law, yet are re hired year after year.

I like to browse the Court Martial website every so often for my own entertainment. When are his trial's decision documents going to be posted? There's already been cases tried after his that have been published. Was it held in French and is awaiting translation?

Ralph said:
Was it held in French and is awaiting translation?

Yes, you obviously haven't browsed recently. The JAG site is one of my bookmarks when I'm bored at work too.  >:D

Update:  He's back in Kabul with GardaWorld:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Disgraced+Canadian+army+officer+resurfaces+Kabul/6186078/story.html

Jim Seggie said:
I am going to make a bold prediction here:

He will land on his feet and acquire employment in the private sector, making more money than what he did as a CF general.

Look at pro atheletes who constantly break the law, yet are re hired year after year.

At the risk of sounding arrogant.....

WAS I RIGHT OR WHAT!

So far, though, it appears GardaWorld hasn't been licensed yet (as of today, anyway) unlike some others....
The Afghan Public Protection Force issued three more Risk Management Company licenses today as it continues to make progress toward assuming security responsibility for development projects, commercial businesses and convoys from private security companies. 

The three licenses, issued to Pilgrims Group, Scimitar and Silk Route, bring the total number of licensed risk management companies to five. Previously licensed were Edinburgh International RMC Ltd and Separ ....
NTM-A Info-machine, 21 Feb 12

Back