• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bisley Team - Then and Now

We now get paid $60 a week, So thats $360 for 6 weeks.

Thanks rlatimer and QOCH,

As far as coaching was concerned, I suppose it changed from year to year.  My own experience back in the mid-80s was that Ontario had a very strong indoor (.22 cal match rifle) competition in the winter which honed the competitive juices.  The "shoulder to shoulder" matches at Fort York Armouries in Feb was one of the most intense rifle competitions I've ever participated in.  I remember Pat Vamplew (Olympic and Commonwealth shooter) there coaching the Cadets from Pickering getting them "in the zone".  Geesh :-\ This naturally led to Cadets going off to fullbore (.308 target rifle) in the summer.  I remember very well my summer in Borden at CSTS for Rifle Coach Phase II and how competitive it was just on the Ontario team.  By the time we got to Connaught for the Nationals, the coaches had prepared us well for competition (handling nerves and reading wind) and as a result we placed 12 or so in the top 30.

Going to Pat Bay, BC the following Spring for final selection and the subsequent trip to Bisley was an excellent experience and one that I will never forget.  I hope to someday payback a little to RCAC and maybe influence the next generation of Bisley shots.

S6

Oh, the $260 that I got was nice pocket change for a few tourist trinkets from England

We had a shooting competition this summer at cannought, one of the matches was named after Pat Vamplew.
I belive it was the 600yrd match.

We had a shooting competition this summer at cannought, one of the matches was named after Pat Vamplew.
I belive it was the 600yrd match.

Interesting, as I believe Pat Vamplew is alive and well...so much for naming matches after those that have passed on.

S6Ï

Andrew McKenzie said:
very true, i thought he was dead?

Well, wouldn't you know it?   Pat Vamplew just won the Governor General's Prize at the 2005 DCRA full bore target rifle matches in Ottawa last weekend!   I guess he is very much alive and well!   His brother Des Vamplew did very well too.

Does anyone from the Pickering High School (Ont R) Cadet Corps remember these fellas?

http://www.dcra.ca/welcome.htm

S6

Then and Now
:cdn:

http://www.armycadethistory.com/Bisley_main.htm

This website does not work any more. Has it been changed?
The website was taken down after the server owner complained the site was getting too big to host, and the Army Cadet league refused to cough up more $$ to keep it running. It's a great shame as 99% of the history on that site was unavailable anywhere else.

The website was taken down after the server owner complained the site was getting too big to host, and the Army Cadet league refused to cough up more $$ to keep it running. It's a great shame as 99% of the history on that site was unavailable anywhere else.
Thanks, I was in Bisley in 1979. Things have changed quite a bit since then. I enjoyed looking at the old pictures and reminiscing, To bad Those pictures are lost.

Back