• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'Black hole' machine could destroy planet: lawsuit

collider.jpg

;D

September 18th, 2008 12:46AM - The Hadron collider becomes self-aware.

George Wallace said:
;D

OK?  Just for shits and giggles; how do you propose doing that?  Carry it there in your pocket as carry on luggage on an Air Canada flight?

Run a Facebook group and get donations for the excess baggage claims.

George Wallace said:
;D

OK?  Just for shits and giggles; how do you propose doing that?  Carry it there in your pocket as carry on luggage on an Air Canada flight?
I can see the airline attendent now when she askes "do you have anything to declare" and you say "just this black hole"

Harley Sailor said:
I can see the airline attendent now when she askes "do you have anything to declare" and you say "just this black hole"

HAHA... I don't think I got enough sleep becuase I am finding this rather amusing.... 

There is no provision in my collective agreement for black holes... hmmm... SOMEONE CALL THE UNION!!!! I smell an extra day off!  :rofl:

:blotto:

What value do you put on the claim when Air Canada loses the back hole?

CougarDaddy said:
Tommy,

Look at what I posted earlier in the thread. The Half-life joke has been overused already.

I did see it...

I just thought this one was note worthy as well....

i mean, Gordon, AND G-Man?  I smell conspiracy....

next thing we'll find out that the whole thing is being paid for by a company called Black Mesa Industries...

Edit: and in my world there is no such thing as "overusing" a half life joke.

Deadpan said:
LINK

'Black hole' machine could destroy planet: lawsuit
Updated Sat. Apr. 5 2008 7:04 AM ET

Parminder Parmar, CTV.ca News

An American and a Spaniard have launched a lawsuit to stop scientists from firing up a machine they fear could destroy not just life on Earth but the planet itself.

I guess, as the world didn't come to an end (along with their court case), their case must have been thrown out.

Kinda a "Loose/Loose" Situation, no matter what way things went.

My understanding is the collider has been tested (one direction only) and the collision test takes place next month.

Nites

Niteshade said:
My understanding is the collider has been tested (one direction only) and the collision test takes place next month.

Nites

Would that have been 'clockwise' or 'counter clockwise'?

I have no idea. I just remember it had been tested successfully by firing in one direction with a speed attained of 99.99% the speed of light...

Nites

See.  I was wondering if the affects of the Earth's rotations on its axis and its revolutions around the Sun were taken into account.  Not to mention, whether the effects of the Moons gravity would be a factor to be considered.  Would it make a difference if we had Solar Flares or not? 

I am no astro physicist... But from Wikipedia.org:

Test timeline

The first beam was circulated through the collider on the morning of 10 September 2008.[13] CERN successfully fired the protons around the tunnel in stages, three kilometres at a time. The particles were fired in a clockwise direction into the accelerator and successfully steered around it at 10:28 local time.[14] The LHC successfully completed its first major test: after a series of trial runs, two white dots flashed on a computer screen showing the protons traveled the full length of the collider. It took less than one hour to guide the stream of particles around its inaugural circuit.[15] CERN next successfully sent a beam of protons in a counterclockwise direction, taking slightly longer at one and a half hours due to a problem with the cryogenics, with the full circuit being completed at 14:59.

My understanding is the magnets keep it in "check" and directionally accurate.

Nites

Well, it ain't gonna make any black holes soon - they done busticated their toy already - should have noticed when the foreman's name was Cletus that there'd be trouble...

Hawaii judge stops doomsday lawsuit over collider
Updated Mon. Sep. 29 2008 8:29 AM ET The Associated Press
Article Link

HONOLULU -- A federal judge in Hawaii has dismissed a lawsuit trying to stop the world's largest atom smasher.

U.S. District Judge Helen Gilmor says in a ruling issued Friday that federal courts don't have jurisdiction over the Large Hadron Collider in Europe, near Geneva.

Two Hawaii residents sued because they feared the machine could create black holes or other phenomena that could destroy the planet.

Most physicists say the collider is safe. It started low-power operation Sept. 10 but suffered malfunctions and will be shut down until spring.

More on link

Back