• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bloc Pissed at GG Comments in France

Harris said:
"Isn't it the Quebec nation we are celebrating, and not a ridiculous monarchy?"

Which nation is that again?  Gee and I thought we/they were part of the nation of Canada.

I don't think the Bloc is the only political party.... in blue that thinks Quebec is a nation.... or basically "more than a province".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6174986.stm

I really don't care what the Bloc thinks anyway. They're a regional party that doesn't deserve to have a seat in parliment anyway, IMHO.

Just my rainy tuesday 'I feel pissy' 2 cents.

In itself, the Bloc is there, in it's eyes anyway, to look after the interests of Quebec.... same as most MPs - it's just that they have chosen to band together (give thanks to Lucien Bouchard & his friend Brian Mulroney for that).

When you consider that, because of their limited focus on Canadian Politics, they have banished themselves to the backbenches for eternity.... so - in the end - WHO CARES?

I don't understand why they react like offensed virgins every time Canada tries to create or maintain ties with traditional Quebec supporters. France has not signed anything going toward a mutual exclusivity with Quebec. As a Quebecker myself, I am ashamed that some people in the province still support that party. It has been ages since they have done anything productive for Quebec, as their role in parliament now consist mostly in disagreeing with whatever is said by the other parties.

I have tried to research into what was pushing Quebeckers into voting for the Bloc, and came to the conclusion that their natural association with the Parti Québécois, wich is attracting alot of people in the poorer, less educated and social sciences inteligentia classes of our province, probably because of their social, syndical and anti-American views. The lack of color of the federal political scene, where they have to choose between three parties that seems to have few interests in the province and constantly come up as corrupted in the news (or just phony in the case of Mr. Layton's NPD), is probably pushing them toward the only party that seemingly have their interests at heart, be that positive or negative in the end.

The key to getting rid of the Bloc, wich is looking like an ex-girlfriend who's sticking at the appartement even though she said she would leave right after our relationship was over, is probably in those factors. Fighting the influence of the PQ on provincial grounds by slowly changing traditional cultural views of victimisation (Quebeckers are a slightly paranoiac people... They will have a natural distrust for anglophones and business owners, whom they have seen as recurring protagonists in our short history), and incorporating Quebeckers as an important part of parties' programs would probably allow the Bloc's influence to fade enough to force their withdrawal of the political scene, for everyone's good.

This nation as seen enough confrontation, it now needs cooperation in the face of the new challenges awaiting it. Beside, if people still speak french in Louisiana and Acadia, I don't see why Quebeckers would suddenly lose all traces of their original language should they incoroporate more into Canada.

Douke

Remember, the Bloc MPs were all PCs under Brian Mulroney........
They were NOT LIBERALS - no more, no less.

Douke said:
I don't understand why they react like offensed virgins every time Canada tries to create or maintain ties with traditional Quebec supporters.

I think the key line is that Francophones outside of Quebec were grouped together with Francophones inside Quebec in the GG's statement.  The hardcore Quebecois I have known do not see Francophones outside Quebec as being part of Quebecois culture, or having their own distinct culture, or even being entitled to the same special treatment or status that Quebecois feel they deserve.

Boater said:
It's a national shame that a party which is bent on destroying our country is allowed any say on our foreign policy or on any issues that affect any other region of Canada.

- They are not bent on destroying our country - merely forming one of their own.  Quebec separating would not destroy Canada.  It might, in fact, result in united, stronger, more focused and more survivable Canada, with more foriegn policy options.  We jusy need to think out of the box a bit.

- Look at all of the boundary changes European nations have undergone over the centuries.  Many of them are still thriving today.

TCBF said:
- They are not bent on destroying our country - merely forming one of their own.  Quebec separating would not destroy Canada.  It might, in fact, result in united, stronger, more focused and more survivable Canada, with more foriegn policy options.  We jusy need to think out of the box a bit.

- Look at all of the boundary changes European nations have undergone over the centuries.  Many of them are still thriving today.

How can you say that it will not destroy Canada when it will break Canada in half.  You will have to leave the rich part to come visit the Alantic coast.

Douke said:
This nation as seen enough confrontation, it now needs cooperation in the face of the new challenges awaiting it. Beside, if people still speak french in Louisiana and Acadia, I don't see why Quebeckers would suddenly lose all traces of their original language should they incoroporate more into Canada.

Douke

I know where  Louisiana is, but where is this Acadia you are talking about?

Greymatters said:
I think the key line is that Francophones outside of Quebec were grouped together with Francophones inside Quebec in the GG's statement.  The hardcore Quebecois I have known do not see Francophones outside Quebec as being part of Quebecois culture, or having their own distinct culture, or even being entitled to the same special treatment or status that Quebecois feel they deserve.   

Unless they live in Florida six months of the year.  ;D

Harley Sailor said:
How can you say that it will not destroy Canada when it will break Canada in half.  You will have to leave the rich part to come visit the Alantic coast.

Are they building a bridge from 'The Rock' to Quebec and Labrador?

George Wallace said:
Don't get off your boat......or You live in it.

Never having sailed on a Boat, getting off one would be a problem.  I have however sailed on a ship a few times.

As for Acadia, I have been all over this great country of ours and have not been to a place called Acadia.  However Acadia as discribed by Wikipedia was  "Acadia (in the French language l'Acadie) was the name given to lands in a portion of the French colonial empire in northeastern North America that included parts of eastern Quebec, the Maritime provinces, and modern-day New England, stretching as far south as Philadelphia." "Today, Acadia has been used to refer to regions of Atlantic Canada with French roots, language, and culture, primarily in northern and eastern New Brunswick" 

Which shows they are loosing their culture and language because their territory is slowly getting smaller.

George Wallace said:
Are they building a bridge from 'The Rock' to Quebec and Labrador?

And how will that get us from NB to Ont without going outside Canada once Que leaves

Harley Sailor said:
And how will that get us from NB to Ont without going outside Canada once Que leaves
???

Who said anything about Ontario, a "Have Not Province".  You were refering to going from " the rich part to come visit the Alantic coast."

Isn't that now Newfoundland?  ;D

George Wallace said:
???

Who said anything about Ontario, a "Have Not Province".  You were refering to going from " the rich part to come visit the Alantic coast."

Isn't that now Newfoundland?   ;D

Well said  :D :salute:

Harley Sailor said:

You might be able to stop off in Montreal - Once the Island breaks off from Quebec >:D

(If it ever gets to that)

I know we have debated this before, and the end result is that the plan for 'Separation' really is a wishful hope that the Federal Government is weak and generous.  Taking into consideration the large tracts of land populated by the Cree in the north, the Mohawks in the south, the original size of Quebec, etc. with some shrewd negotiations a separate Quebec may only be a fraction of the size the Province is today. 

If the existing boundaries of the Province were accepted, what would stop other populations of the new 'country' from in turn 'separating'?  If it is good for one, it should be good for all.  There in lies the hypocrisy of the Bloc and the Separatist Movement.

Ah yes.... what's good for the goose ... is good for the gander (so to speak)

If a section of or a whole province can break away then what is stopping a city like TO or a small town like Noel from breaking away and forming their own nation?

Back