• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ 2018 - Regular Force

wnhan said:
Hi all,

I was browsing the CAF subreddit and I read the following comment from someone who was in BMOQ:

"I saw exactly the same thing happen on my BMOQ last month, with no repercussions for the instructors. The staff also told us "if you get injured and ask to go to MIR, it's possible you'll miss a critical lesson and fail the course - so think *hard* before making an MIR request". And then they didn't give us access to basic first aid supplies, so people were using socks and elastic bands in place of bandaids because the alternative was MIR...Basic at Vimy need to be sorted out, because right now it's a disaster." - Reddit User

The following was my response to the Reddit commenter:

"This situation seems very extreme and is very offensive from an occupational health and safety perspective. I am about to go to BMOQ at the end of August and this comment has raised some serious concerns within me. It is in my humble opinion, very detrimental to deny soldiers in basic training with access to basic medical supplies such as band aids. I find it appalling that someone who is in need of ONE simple bandaid would need to go to MIR and be reprimanded for preventing further physical damage. Basic medical supplies should be readily available in order to prevent soldiers from going to seek real MIR assistance/services. So what did people do with cuts? Let it get infected? Cover it with socks and hope for the best? This makes absolutely no sense. Please confirm that you are not over exaggerating and/or simply venting due to frustration/stress. I will be inquiring about this situation with my local CFRC concerning access to basic supplies such as bandaids during BMOQ. Let us know please!" - wnhan

Put simply, was my comment out of line? Is the above situation true that they don't give basic medical supplies like bandaids to recruits? If anyone has greater insight, please let me know because I am very nervous now about going to BMOQ.

Kindest regards,
wnhan

‘Not sure what the full situation was having not been there. But something is very much amiss. Every platoon has someone who carries a medkit with them at all times during the entire duration of the course. The individual responsible might change during, but the kit is always there and it’s always kept fully stocked. I’m talking about BMQ, but I don’t see BMOQ being any different. Someone else will have to confirm that though.

Edit to add: Just chatted with recent grad. Every pl at CFLRS has someone carrying a medkit at all times in all locations for the duration of course, which includes the field.

First aid kits are required in all CAF MSE, boats, units and Training Establishments as directed by Medical.
These standards normally meet or exceed provincial OH&S standards, but the CAF has exemptions, as required.

"MSE" = "Mobile Support Equipment" = "Vehicles".

Hi,

I am leaving for BMOQ on Saturday, August, 25, 2018. I have a few forms to fill out and my file manager has not been very clear in answering some questions. I am hoping to get some clarification concerning the following issues:

1) On one of the forms, it states that "The Canadian Armed Forces can, if necessary, store your personal effects for the duration of your basic and trade training. This option exists for single members who are currently maintaining a private residence, with more than one room of belongings to store. Please indicate if you would like to use this service. If yes, please indicate the total number of rooms in your residence".

My question posed to the file manager was "if I select the option of YES, would I have to pay any fees associated wtih the storage? I am asking because I can store my possessions at my parent's residence for free".

The file manager responded with "If you are currently maintaining a private residence, with more than one room of belongings to store, the Canadian Armed Forces can, if necessary, store your personal effects for the duration of your basic and trade training". Obviously, this does not answer my question as my issue is with respect to financial cost. Are they indirectly implying that the storage is free with their response?

2) If it does cost money to store the possessions during basic and trades training, then I will opt to store my possessions for free at the residence of my parents. Once posted to my first location, would I have the option to get the CAF to move my possessions from the residence of my parents to my first posting location?

Any insight and/or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Volidyr

1. Yes, the CAF will store your belongings and pay the cost.

2. While your belongings are in storage, you will NOT have access to it. Bring anything you may want to use while under training.

3. You will normally be authorized to move your stuff out of storage  on completion of training.

Google search:
"site:navy.ca: BMOQ storage"

Got an offer on Tuesday and signed the papers today. Awaiting September BMOQ.
I got in as a CELE officer. Hope to you guys there.

Received the offer yesterday. I’m on the September 10th, BMOQ. See some of you there!

Congratulations Tsteevz! Good job! Best of luck in your training!

Got my offer Yesterday (July 26th), being sworn in Today (July 27th) and heading to BMOQ for August 27th, AEC.

Guess they really need Air Weapon Controllers?  :rofl:

Anyone else heading to BMOQ on the 27th from Toronto or the area? I'm driving up, could use a road trip buddy.

Daishi said:
Got my offer Yesterday (July 26th), being sworn in Today (July 27th) and heading to BMOQ for August 27th, AEC.

Anyone else heading to BMOQ on the 27th from Toronto or the area? I'm driving up, could use a road trip buddy.

Congrats.  ;D

And here I am waiting to go to BMOQ in late Jan 2019 after having been selected in mid-June. Wish I could have used your ride, lol.

Daishi said:
Congrats man, someone probably backed out from an offer and the cflrs had to fill out the spot pronto!

Daishi said:

We will be on the same course! I'm driving from Ottawa, in for ACSO

RCAFnewguy said:
We will be on the same course! I'm driving from Ottawa, in for ACSO

Lucky you! I aced 6/7 components and my overall score was high but I didn't do well on the logic system and airborne numerical test...aka the MATH section. The officer there told me to brush up on my math skills and I'd make an excellent pilot candidate. Plan is to take some math courses and in 4 years ask to transfer to pilot. Maybe you'll be my back seat driver some day.... tho I do plan on trying to get into 427 squadron for tactical helicopters.

Not a bad plan! I qualified for pilot as well, but the offer for ACSO came first and I took it. Might look into transferring as well, but for now I'm super excited to be an ACSO.

LegioXEquestris said:
Congrats.  ;D

And here I am waiting to go to BMOQ in late Jan 2019 after having been selected in mid-June. Wish I could have used your ride, lol.

What trade are you in?

Foxheadcnda said:
What trade are you in?

Selected (Infantry): Mid-June 2018
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/13064/post-1539305.html#msg1539305

Back