• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ Regular Force 2014 - 2017 [Merged]

Hello! I'm new to this site so i hope this works and i can get some realistic and accurate information before my basic training starting January 2015.

I am 40 years old and I am having some issues with my knees from trying to train them.. They are freakin sore and causing discomfort. I am not a runner so i will have to rest them for the next few weeks before basic and just stick to some elliptical training for cardio.

The big question is what is the frequency and duration of the running you have to do for PT in basic training? 1)does it depend on your commanding officer and what he chooses to do? 2) does it play a significant factor in Pt or is the running staggered/spread out (every second day for example) 3) do you do less running as you progress further in the training? i need someone to really give me a good perspective of their experience and how it played out in regards to running.

Also, what if you cant swim when you arrive for basic? i heard they will give you basic swimming lessons?

Thank you so much for any personal experience info you can provide that will help me understand this issue better! :)

macseh said:
The big question is what is the frequency and duration of the running you have to do for PT in basic training? 1)does it depend on your commanding officer and what he chooses to do? 2) does it play a significant factor in Pt or is the running staggered/spread out (every second day for example) 3) do you do less running as you progress further in the training? i need someone to really give me a good perspective of their experience and how it played out in regards to running.

running bmq
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+running&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=xxqWVKabMcWy8wfljIHICQ&gws_rd=ssl#rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&q=site:army.ca+running+bmq

macseh said:
Also, what if you cant swim when you arrive for basic? i heard they will give you basic swimming lessons?

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/17795.0

macseh said:
Hello! I'm new to this site so i hope this works and i can get some realistic and accurate information before my basic training starting January 2015.

I am 40 years old and I am having some issues with my knees from trying to train them.. They are freakin sore and causing discomfort. I am not a runner so i will have to rest them for the next few weeks before basic and just stick to some elliptical training for cardio.

Thank you so much for any personal experience info you can provide that will help me understand this issue better! :)

Hey, I'm going to BMQ Ferauary 9th. I'm crap at swimming but I think I'll be okay to pass the test. I can't do anything crazy like floating on my back or swimming backwards though. Passing the swimming test is not a requirement for BMQ but you will be put down as a non-swimmer and you will be taught afterwards at some point with PSP.

Wow! just posted this and already got some feedback :) thanks so much! I'm going as commissioned officer so don't know if that makes a big difference in regards to the training methodology.

As a general rule, most of the training is very similar between BMQ and BMOQ (There are some additional leadership aspects taught and expected to demonstrate, etc).  The threads you were suggested to look at give a pretty good base of understanding, but I'll add my two cents:

PT will look very similar across the board between NCMs and Officers - running was usually first thing in the morning and around 4-6km. How often will depend entirely on what your Course Staff decide and what meets with what the school expects from its candidates.  Expect to be doing some form of PT nearly every morning.  It's been a while but the PT expectations were gradual - running is a large part of it, but then again so was strength training and various forms of "military" oriented physical training.

The swim test is not particularly challenging unless you have absolutely no skill at swimming.  When I went through there was definitely "pool oriented PT" but I don't remember much in the way of instruction of how to swim.  No one failed the course by being unable to swim, however.

Every officer in the CAF is commissioned - so there is no need to refer to your path as "going commissioned officer".

If you had any other questions you'd rather not ask aloud, feel free to send me a message. 

0049E Aerospace control officer..From Halifax starting Jan 17  i do believe :)  yikes!! hope the running aspect of PT is not to brutal :/  loll

Thank you for your input! much appreciated.. In regards to the running, that sounds like a lot from my perspective..concerning actually. What happens if you cant keep up or have some physical limitations (injury or pain that takes you out of commission)  while into your training? is this a big nono or?? will they be pissed or kick you out? Are there exceptions? is it on a case by case basis?

Thanks again!

macseh said:
What happens if you cant keep up or have some physical limitations (injury or pain that takes you out of commission)  while into your training? is this a big nono or?? will they be pissed or kick you out? Are there exceptions? is it on a case by case basis?

BMQ injuries 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/94566.0

See Reply #1.

macseh said:
Thank you for your input! much appreciated.. In regards to the running, that sounds like a lot from my perspective..concerning actually. What happens if you cant keep up or have some physical limitations (injury or pain that takes you out of commission)  while into your training? is this a big nono or?? will they be pissed or kick you out? Are there exceptions? is it on a case by case basis?

Thanks again!

Mariomike is already giving you plenty of places to find answers (looking around on this forum will answer all of these).  Take a look for your answers and you'll find quite a bit of information you likely haven't even thought about yet.

I'll leave it at a personal opinion and let you find others:  In my opinion an Officer needs to be fitter then those he expects to lead - not necessarily the fittest, but he should never be happy with being "average".  If you are injured (or feel you are injured) during BMOQ, you will be sent to the MIR to be evaluated.  If the restrictions the medical staff place on you prevent you from completing your training, you will fail the course (There is rarely enough time to "make up" missed training, unless it was of a very short duration).  If you are genuinely injured do what you need to do to get healthy.  If you are sore and stiff, you do not need to miss training.  Your staff will form impressions of you based on the legitimacy (real or perceived) of how often you miss training, but there are checks and balances that prevent someone from arbitrarily "kicking you out".

If you "can't keep up" you have two options really - work to remedy your performance or don't.  The training system is ready to work with one, and tends to look down upon the other.

Ayrsayle said:
Every officer in the CAF is commissioned - so there is no need to refer to your path as "going commissioned officer".

Except those NCOs...you know, Non-Comissioned Officers.

;D

Thank you Ayrsayle for your time and input! greatly appreciated :) i will do my best! obviously, just concerned that's all. I'm sure there are lots of others with the same concern or situation.

Thanks again for the info!

Eye In The Sky said:
Except those NCOs...you know, Non-Comissioned Officers.

;D

(Groan) I knew someone would hit me with that one.  We might yet again give the impression that people can apply to be NCOs!

Ayrsayle said:
(Groan) I knew someone would hit me with that one.  We might yet again give the impression that people can apply to be NCOs!

...which we do, for musicians.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/musi/ci-ic/index-eng.asp

If you are going to point out the technicality (which is not entirely true), we should probably consider the context as well (using the resource you provided):

"After 6 months, Once all required training is complete, you are promoted to the rank of Sergeant, which is the base working rank for musicians in the Regular Force".

"The Canadian forces enrolls accomplished musicians, who often hold performance degrees or diplomas ..." and "All Canadian Forces bands are administered, managed, and directed by the musicians."

A few things stick out (to a non-musician like myself):

- The traditional Officer/NCM relationship within the trade is filled entirely by NCOs at all (functional) levels. A musician needs to be a *skilled* resource prior to enrollment in a way an Infantry Pte is not.
- While the base working rank is Sgt - training still needs to be completed to attain the rank. Much like a DEO Nursing Officer who is already skilled, still needs to complete BMOQ (training) before being promoted to a rank above OCdt.

You can apply with the intention of being whatever rank you want, technically.  You can apply to be a Sgt, but it will be contingent - you are still going to have a period of training before that happens. At least that is what your resource says.

Ayrsayle said:
...Much like a DEO Nursing Officer who is already skilled, still needs to complete BMOQ (training) before being promoted to a rank above OCdt.

You can apply with the intention of being whatever rank you want, technically.  You can apply to be a Sgt, but it will be contingent - you are still going to have a period of training before that happens. At least that is what your resource says.

I wish that this was more generally the case. Unfortunately, in the case of reserve officers, there is often no such period of training. You've got a degree and you're sworn in? You're a 2Lt. Plenty of commissioned officers show up on recruit courses without any substantial training.

I've had 2Lt's inspect my QL3 privates' tradecraft on exercise, without their own qualifications, and provide "feedback".

Ayrsayle said:

I was just throwing that out there for shytes and giggles. 

Of course, the definition of "Officer" in the QR & Os is specific to Commissioned Officer...so you are actually accurate in what you said.  I was hoping for the 'groan' 'ffs!' reaction  ;D or maybe a  :facepalm:.

"officer" (officier)means
a.a person who holds Her Majesty's commission in the Canadian Forces,
b.a person who holds the rank of officer cadet in the Canadian Forces, and
c.any person who pursuant to law is attached or seconded as an officer to the Canadian Forces; *

"non-commissioned officer" (sous-officier)means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal;

Eye In The Sky said:
I was just throwing that out there for shytes and giggles. 

Of course, the definition of "Officer" in the QR & Os is specific to Commissioned Officer...so you are actually accurate in what you said.  I was hoping for the 'groan' 'ffs!' reaction  ;D or maybe a  :facepalm:.

"officer" (officier)means
a.a person who holds Her Majesty's commission in the Canadian Forces,
b.a person who holds the rank of officer cadet in the Canadian Forces, and
c.any person who pursuant to law is attached or seconded as an officer to the Canadian Forces; *

"non-commissioned officer" (sous-officier)means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal;

I really did take your point exactly as you intended (ETIS) - Was thinking of a few WO's who'd be happy to have caught me with that one. (Grins)

I genuinely had no idea regarding the Musician trade, so I looked into it to find out - turns out its not QUITE as easy as applying to be an NCO, even if the path is shorter to get there then most.  My bad for the knee-jerk reaction of assuming you were trying to hit me for a technicality rather then respond to the spirit of the original comment (Brasidas).

The point about reserve officers is fair enough - have seen that happen.  Will keep my comments about it happening to myself.

your running training will depend on the fitness of your group. If you all suck at running, they'll make you run more. If your group is pretty good, you'll get more strength or other type of training.
As a fellow 40+ year old with a history of knee issues, strengthen your knees with squats. Start them off easily with stair squats; stand if front of stairs and go up two steps on one foot then back down. Make sure your heel of the lead foot touches to support the weight, don't use your toes only (less strain on the knee).
Then do the same but make like you're about to go down a step or two but don't touch the step, come back up. Be sure to have you but sticking out behind you.
This is a good start to strengthen your legs and knees.

Back