• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Medical, Dental, Mental health questions [Merged]

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
FlyLikeAnEagle said:
I had blisters on feet

See also,

https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/73676/post-1496580.html#msg1496580
OP: FlyLikeAnEagle  "i have a "small" injury on my big toe."

Well it sounds like you have a little more wiggle room then you initially explained.  If you're worried about it being something significant but are too worried about losing pt days you could wait until your first  weekend leave  and get checked at a civilian hospital. Best case your burdening the overworked civilian system with a trip to Emerg because of a cold. Worst case it's something significant and you'll need light duties and possibly recoursed. Being recoursed sucks but not as much as giving yourself perminate health problems. Only you know how sick you feel. Good luck.

**Reason this question is being asked here is because I cannot find another suitable thread.**

Hey guys, so I feel that I have gotten myself into a jam here.

I have told my family doctor that I will no longer be a patient as I am joining the army. So she then proceeded to print off my entire medical history (She has been my doc since birth) so I now have a 2 inch thick file detailing every doctors appointment I have had from birth to 20 years old (Which is now). Do I bring this to St.Jean with me?

When I did my enrolment medical I got the green light from Ottawa without needing any paperwork signed by my family doctor.

So I am just wondering if I need to bring this ridiculous file to BMQ? Will it be of any use to the Med staff there or will I just be annoying them? 

:pumpkin: :pumpkin:

FinnO25 said:
Do I bring this to St.Jean with me?

So I am just wondering if I need to bring this ridiculous file to BMQ?

CFLRS
Required Documents and Items
The following documents are required on arrival:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page

The following documents are required only if applicable:

a.medical prescriptions;

b.eyeglass prescriptions;

h.proof of change in medical status;

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

HAHA! Thanks mariomike!

It went from a massive file to one sheet detailing my Immunization records.

I never liked my DP. She was cranky and mean.

FinnO25 said:
HAHA! Thanks mariomike!

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

FinnO25 said:
I never liked my DP. She was cranky and mean.

DP?

My MD said, "You'll live to be 60!" "I AM 60!" "See, what did I tell you?"

Finn, your signature says, "Drive Fast, And Leave A Sexy Corpse."

I guess you never saw Signal 30?

DP=Daily Physician

You are correct in assuming I have never seen that movie.

It is a line from the US version of the Office, and I feel as though it pertains to my lifestyle correctly.

So I Was in the Canadian infantry in 2003 and only served basic training. I received a bunch of vaccination shots (some made me ill) I want to know what vaccination do they give you, exactl,y as I am traveling to Thailand and I want to see what vaccinations to get

Heman90210 said:
So I Was in the Canadian infantry in 2003 and only served basic training. I received a bunch of vaccination shots (some made me ill) I want to know what vaccination do they give you, exactl,y as I am traveling to Thailand and I want to see what vaccinations to get

Did you only do BMQ or did you complete DP1/BIQ as well?

Due to the time passed, and lack of records it might be in your best interest to go see your Dr and get them to recommend what vaccinations you should get.  That may end up being everything required for North America plus whatever is required/recommended for Thailand.

You could submit a request for your medical file through DAIP (Directorate Access to Information and Privacy).  Since you released a long time ago, your file will be at Archives, but they can send you a copy of what they have.

Heman90210 said:

2003? Some shots you received would be expired.  If you got the complete Hep A and B series and MMR, you wouldn't need them again; they're good for life.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/thailand

Does anyone know anymore about the policy where as if recruits miss a certain amount of PT classes on BMQ for whatever reason they're kicked off course?  I'm told from a "victim" of this that it's a PRB after 6 missed PT classes and an automatic recourse after 9. It sounds like a fantastic policy if that's true.

Jarnhamar said:
Does anyone know anymore about the policy where as if recruits miss a certain amount of PT classes on BMQ for whatever reason they're kicked off course?  I'm told from a "victim" of this that it's a PRB after 6 missed PT classes and an automatic recourse after 9. It sounds like a fantastic policy if that's true.
Yes it's true, happened to couple people on my course. Stops people from going to the MIR to skip out that's forsure.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good rule to keep people from skipping exercise for illegitimate reasons. Would there be any exceptions for someone who, for example, sprained their ankle?

GermanWolf said:
That sounds like a good rule to keep people from skipping exercise for illegitimate reasons. Would there be any exceptions for someone who, for example, sprained their ankle?

Speaking from experience, no exceptions.  I was told my recourse would happen if I missed 10 classes total, or 6 in any one subject (PT classes tend to be 2 class periods long, so super easy to miss 6). And the MIR is only open during the day 0730-1530 ish, so going "after class" is not an option.   

Also keep in mind that if you miss more than 12 consecutive hours of field training that is also an automatic recourse. So make sure if you need the MIR while out in Farnham, that you are prepared to face the consequences.

Flip side: you're going to have troops avoid the MIR when they really should be there, trying to tough it out. Then they're going to arsehole themselves worse.

I understand the premise behind this, but the application has some serious knock on effects.

Scott said:
Flip side: you're going to have troops avoid the MIR when they really should be there, trying to tough it out. Then they're going to arsehole themselves worse.

I understand the premise behind this, but the application has some serious knock on effects.

That certainly makes sense but I think where we're at society/generation wise the bigger issue is people generally out of shape who don't understand the difference between hurting and injured, possibly from living a very sheltered life.

If someone is genuinely injured then they should get medical treatment and not try to tough it out.  Issue being too many recruits are going to the MIR with little aches and pains or some sniffles. I think a lot of guys and girls latch on to those MIR trips/sick chits like a life line.

Jarnhamar said:
That certainly makes sense but I think where we're at society/generation wise the bigger issue is people generally out of shape who don't understand the difference between hurting and injured, possibly from living a very sheltered life.

If someone is genuinely injured then they should get medical treatment and not try to tough it out.  Issue being too many recruits are going to the MIR with little aches and pains or some sniffles. I think a lot of guys and girls latch on to those MIR trips/sick chits like a life line.

My experience from being at St Jean from Sep ‘14 to Dec ‘15 is that, yes, while there are ones who go to the MIR prematurely, the number is low. There is, however, a significant number of recruits who do whatever they possibly can to cover/endure an injury in order to avoid recourse. Everything from fractures to severe infections. I’ve witnessed this first-hand on more occasions than I care to admit and unfortunately, I’m included in that number.

The reasons are numerous and vary, but ultimately it comes down to being in the mindset of just wanting to get it done and get out.

See also,

Disability on course - BMQ, QL, Trades, ect...[MERGED]
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/125902.0.html
6 pages.

Malingering
https://army.ca/forums/threads/74062.0
2 pages.

Injured recruits misdiagnosed then dropped by military 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/70802.75
5 pages.

BeyondTheNow said:
My experience from being at St Jean from Sep ‘14 to Dec ‘15 is that, yes, while there are ones who go to the MIR prematurely, the number is low. There is, however, a significant number of recruits who do whatever they possibly can to cover/endure an injury in order to avoid recourse. Everything from fractures to severe infections. I’ve witnessed this first-hand on more occasions than I care to admit and unfortunately, I’m included in that number.

The reasons are numerous and vary, but ultimately it comes down to being in the mindset of just wanting to get it done and get out.

I guess we've had alternate experience with the issue (I'm by no way discounting your own). 

While I'm no medical expert, speaking for myself (and other instructors maybe?) I think it's safe to say in a lot of cases we develop a sort of radar for this kind of stuff.  Yes that can be a dangerous mindset to have, with serious ramifications, but at the same time as a parent yourself I know you can tell when your kids are bullshitting you, yes?  Not to suggest recruits/students are kids but I've seen some seriously similar behavior.

Very common to see recruits too injured for PT miraculous healing after hours.

There's a chance this policy does more harm than good but I'm of the belief that this policy does the opposite.

Back