• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

cypres78 said:
If there is a family emergency all your family has to do it contact the school instead of plastering it on facebook.

What ever will these people do if they can't tweet while on deployment?? They can't even handle 4 weeks without their Iphone before they shut er down in basic ::)

What a joke.

I could see the news article now....
Cdn soldier Tweets "My platoon is hiking up XZY hill today...." and gets ambushed by Militants. 

LOL

One thing I would love to see more of is MANDATORY cellular etiquette classes taught to all ages both in and pout of the forces.  It might limit the people that check their phone at inappropriate times.

SentryMAn said:
I could see the news article now....
Cdn soldier Tweets "My platoon is hiking up XZY hill today...." and gets ambushed by Militants. 

Troops overseas have been able to buy and use civvie cell phones for quite some time and nothing of the sort has happened yet.  Not to say it can't, as the IDF had to cancel a raid because of a soldiers FB status.  But I tend to give the benefit of doubt to trained soldiers to not do silly things.

Personally, I'm kind of old school and I find the way everyone is always staring at phones and texting and whatnot to be highly irritating.  I was looking forward to that being minimal at BMQ, and who knows, maybe it still will be.  On the good side - perhaps the pay phones won't have such line ups so when I go to call home, it won't take so long.  ;D

ND Policy:

No longer will the candidate be charge for having an ND in the clearing bay.

Again not my call....

BulletMagnet said:
ND Policy:

Again not my call....

Wondering if that is based on advice from a JAG or his own idea?  Either way not very impressed with the idea.  When you pull the trigger you best be 100% sure you know what you are doing, to many people have been killed or injured as a result of poor weapons handling drills.

Apparently it is legal I am not sure how but then again I am not a JAG. I don't agree with it either but the reason was that the Candidates are intimidated enough with the weapon during the field phase and this will help relive some of the stress.

BulletMagnet said:
the reason was that the Candidates are intimidated enough with the weapon during the field phase and this will help relive some of the stress.

More time spent training with the weapon removes the intimidation factor. Once again, we have chosen the expedient solution  :facepalm:

BulletMagnet said:
ND Policy:

Again not my call....

CDN Aviator said:
More time spent training with the weapon removes the intimidation factor. Once again, we have chosen the expedient solution  :facepalm:

I was just thinking the same thing CA.  We instituted a course policy of always having a loaded and readied weapon while outside on two of the BIQs I taught on.  I have had he pleasure of keeping in touch with a number of the soldiers over time.  They all said years later that the respect, experience, & confidence that they gained on the weapon at the time served them well in their careers.  A good number of them are MCpls now and are doing the same thing when they can with their troops.

I tried that with my section during the field phase however one member of the section had an ND in the clearing bay (why he cleared his weapon I don't know) and then I had to resind that order. Sadly the numbers of ND reflects on the Platoon standing as having ND is a PO failure.

CFLRS unloading problems to the next training establishment................ :facepalm:

BulletMagnet said:
Sadly the numbers of ND reflects on the Platoon standing as having ND is a PO failure.

Wow talk about unintended consequences.  I think de-linking the two would have been one part of the solution rather than just allowing NDs to slide.  Treat them exactly like they are treated out in big world land. 

:mad:  "PTE!!!...That bed is atrocious, your shirts are wrinkled and your boots need more polish!!!"

:geek:  "GASP!!!...but, but, but Sgt I need to improve my score in Angry Birds or RicoSwave123 will pass me on the high score roster!!!"

sigh....what a world, what a world...  :facepalm:

Yikes, this is a rough one to swallow.

The following sentence is a joke. Sort of.
I hear people say that it's hard to remember all these military acronyms, but it seems as though they've forgotten the N in ND stands for negligent.

kenmnuggas said:
Yikes, this is a rough one to swallow.

The following sentence is a joke. Sort of.
I hear people say that it's hard to remember all these military acronyms, but it seems as though they've forgotten the N in ND stands for negligent.

Oh...that's simple to solve....just buy the MilQuotes app http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/military-quotes/id469617175. Then if they're not sure simply look it up before they clear their weapon............. ;D

I really don't see what the big deal is.  During my course I was always allowed to keep my phone on me, as was everyone else unless they screwed around and did something stupid.  Pulling out your phone during a lesson, drill, exercise, patrol, etc. would be a no-brainer severe jacking up and probably result in your phone being taken away for a few hours or a day.

Our courses were also busy after-hours, with weapons cleaning, polishing boots, cleaning, packing for ex, etc., and it was the same as above: if you were playing games on your phone or texting your girlfriend when you should have been studying or doing something else, you'd feel the wrath of the leadership staff very quickly (if not your own platoon and/or section).

That policy worked fine: members were allowed to check their phone and use it during off hours.  I usually even left my phone back in barracks and just checked it when my training and duties were done for the day.  I didn't see anyone bring a laptop, but many of us did bring MP3 players/iPods to listen to music.

There's no reason to be upset at this policy.  Having these items in your possession does not castrate the course staff's ability to temporarily confiscate the items or limit when and where they can be used.

ARMY_101 said:
I really don't see what the big deal is.  During my course I was always allowed to keep my phone on me, as was everyone else unless they screwed around and did something stupid.  Pulling out your phone during a lesson, drill, exercise, patrol, etc. would be a no-brainer severe jacking up and probably result in your phone being taken away for a few hours or a day.

Our courses were also busy after-hours, with weapons cleaning, polishing boots, cleaning, packing for ex, etc., and it was the same as above: if you were playing games on your phone or texting your girlfriend when you should have been studying or doing something else, you'd feel the wrath of the leadership staff very quickly (if not your own platoon and/or section).

That policy worked fine: members were allowed to check their phone and use it during off hours.  I usually even left my phone back in barracks and just checked it when my training and duties were done for the day.  I didn't see anyone bring a laptop, but many of us did bring MP3 players/iPods to listen to music.

There's no reason to be upset at this policy.  Having these items in your possession does not castrate the course staff's ability to temporarily confiscate the items or limit when and where they can be used.

The biggest problem I have with regards to this issue is that Basic Training 'seems' to be producing a lower quality of soldier by no longer tearing down the wall of entitlement and rebuilding these folks into a functioning member of the organization i.e. a proper soldier.  The Pte soldiers that come to me have no respect for authority, question everything, have very little ability to function in the team environment, and god forbid you ask them to work past 4 o'clock.  Every concession given during the training process is one more issue that adds to the chorus of disciplinary problems on the other end.  Re-education has become my full time job and I now need a degree in social work (every little thing becomes a morale issue).

This is entirely my own opinion, but I can't helping considering those Recruits/ Officer Cadets who VR simply because of limited access to the outside world as being misfits for the military. Everyone enrolling into the military knows (or should know) that they can be deployed overseas for months on end, and based on the secracy associated with the mission, outside contact may be limited.

Apart from all this, the very purpose of indoctrination is to break down and rebuild.

When I was a residential university student (in India), all first year students had to go through a three month period of "ragging" by the seniors. Mind you, any form of ragging is by law illegal in India. But we were all in a new city for the first time away from home, so deciding to complain never even crossed our minds. I am not condoning what we went through, because a lot of it would be termed as "torture" and "inhumane" in the western world.

Some of what we went through was - "falling in" from 21:00 to 05:00 hours, repeated slaps during the fall in period, five minute wake up calls through out the night, ironing over 100 cloths a day (belonging to the seniors), not allowed to step outside the hostel (there was only one phone on which calls could only be received and obviously this was reserved for the senior students. Cell phones were too new and none of us could afford them. This was in 98), standing straight and looking directly up at a point on the ceiling for hours, cleaning the toilets and rooms of the senior students, measuring the floor with a coin and if there was a discrepancy there would be that many slaps, etc, etc. Oh yes, the boys had to have their heads shaved during this period. One last detail - guys ragged guys and girls ragged girls.

Again, I would not like anyone to go through this. The worst was the slaps. I'm talking hard back-handed slaps, not a little rap on the cheek. (One of my friends broke his tooth). What I'm trying to get at, is that going through all this turture strengthened as as a class. There were 30 of us and all of us helped each other out. Say if I was tasked with irons the cloths and a class who had missed being given a task, would automatically help me out (on the sly). We were one united body and all of us are still in contact with each other. Looking back now, we should not have put up with all that crap and should've gone to the police and the university.

Coming back to the basic training at CFLRS. I'm certain that if there was a death or some other serious situation in my family and they contacted the school,  they will give me the time to make the necessary calls. So, what is the big deal if I dont have access to my cell phone?! This is Canada, one of the richest and most modern country in the world. Its not the CFLRS is located at Timbuktu!

Again, all the above is my own opinion. Others may agree or disagree.

Swingline1984 said:
The biggest problem I have with regards to this issue is that Basic Training 'seems' to be producing a lower quality of soldier by no longer tearing down the wall of entitlement and rebuilding these folks into a functioning member of the organization i.e. a proper soldier.  The Pte soldiers that come to me have no respect for authority, question everything, have very little ability to function in the team environment, and god forbid you ask them to work past 4 o'clock.  Every concession given during the training process is one more issue that adds to the chorus of disciplinary problems on the other end.  Re-education has become my full time job and I now need a degree in social work (every little thing becomes a morale issue).

Swing,
I agree with everything you just said and I teach there... The bold, underlined part is actually part of the training syllabus. They are in love with transformational leadership and the idea is that you no longer tell them to do something and they do it, you now will explain the why's and what for's of your commands.

Swingline1984 said:

There must be an objective, General-level study on the "quality" of recruits being produced nowadays compared to the "quality" 10, 20, 50 years ago, no?  Recruits today may be more reliant on technology, but they also have an education higher than grade 3, which wasn't seen in the World Wars.  The Americans are also beginning to issue iPhones and computerize individual soldiers doing patrols, so technology is present and it will remain present.  Whether that produces a worse soldier is a study I'd be interested in reading.

Back