• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Platoon Members not co-operating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunfire249

Inactive
Reaction score
Please don't mind me and any lack of knowledge I may have.... My boyfriend is an Ordinary Seaman doing Basic Training right now, and he tells me that right now his platoon (his roommates?????) are failing, because they refuse to do anything and just sleep and laze all the time. Is it extremely important to pass as a team????

I asked him if he couldn't switch to another one, but he said he couldn't because there was no other team lacking members or something to that effect. It made me really sad to hear him sound so disheartened, and I'd like to know if there is something he can do about it. I told him that he should talk to his... Commanding Officer? But, I don't think that'll make much difference either.

Sunfire249 said:
Please don't mind me and any lack of knowledge I may have.... My boyfriend is an Ordinary Seaman doing Basic Training right now, and he tells me that right now his platoon (his roommates?????) are failing, because they refuse to do anything and just sleep and laze all the time. Is it extremely important to pass as a team????

I asked him if he couldn't switch to another one, but he said he couldn't because there was no other team lacking members or something to that effect. It made me really sad to hear him sound so disheartened, and I'd like to know if there is something he can do about it. I told him that he should talk to his... Commanding Officer? But, I don't think that'll make much difference either.

Wow. I find it bizarre that the staff are apparently 'allowing' that kind of behaviour. BMQ is usually a bit more 'frenetic' than that. :pushup:

This reminds me of my BMQ...

Do ot worry, everything will work out fine. Imagine throwing 60 guys from all around the country into a fenced building, tell them they can not leave for 5 weeks, and make them get up 5 am then yell at them all day.

Everybody is in ALOT of stress and it is expected. I am sure most of the platoons have problems. I haven't really heard of any platoon failing as a team... So no worries there...

All you can do is listen to your boyfriend, talk to him and try not to cause anymore stress to him because you miss him or any problems that might be happening at home...

cheers

Yeah, I'm doing my best to show him that I'm doing fine without him... Which really isn't the case, but he doesn't need to know that :p
My brother is an Lieutenant Officer in the Navy as well, so regardless I'm sure he expects a lot from him, but my brother also doesn't like him that much  :-X  And he knows all the people who are running BMQ this year =.="""

Would talking to the Commanding Officer do anything? Or would they just tell him to do better, or something? I'm a bit more relieved to hear you say that you've yet to hear of a team failing... But he isn't uhh, meeting the physical requirements himself. Which is a bit worrisome.

What he needs to do is not fall in to the trap of laziness or idleness. As long as he keeps his personal performance as best as it can be, while doing his part to help out "the team" he'll do just fine. The vast majority of BMQ courses I've participated in/heard stories of always fail in the beginning; it's part of the game. And that's all BMQ is; a game. You pass it, and you move on. It's just there to teach him the attitude that he should embody while employed with the forces. If other people are resistant to acting in a way that's condusive to training or to employment in the CF, the course staff should sort them out fairly quickly.

Don't worry about your guy, as long as he keeps his wits about him he'll do fine, regardless of what the guys around him are doing. They'll get sorted out our kicked out in good time.

DO NOT bother the Commanding Officer with this; it'll make everyone's day worse...

Sunfire249 said:
My brother is an Lieutenant Officer in the Navy as well, so regardless I'm sure he expects a lot from him, but my brother also doesn't like him that much  :-X  And he knows all the people who are running BMQ this year =.="""

Not to sound mean but I highly doubt your brother knows ALL the instructors teaching BMQ, even if he works there.  Is he in Borden ONor St Jean QC?

Would talking to the Commanding Officer do anything? Or would they just tell him to do better, or something? I'm a bit more relieved to hear you say that you've yet to hear of a team failing... But he isn't uhh, meeting the physical requirements himself. Which is a bit worrisome.

A Private (Recruit) would only speak directly to the Commanding Officer under normal circumstances in VERY rare circumstances, and none of them usually good.  He should start by talking to the people in his section and encouraging them to sort their shit out.  The first person he should talk to higher in the chain of command would be his Master Corporal or Sergeant.  Pte's aren't really dealing one on one with the Platoon or Company Commanders, let alone the Commanding Officer of the school.

I would suggest this though, having taught on many a BMQ myself...IF the troops are being as slack as indicated here...don't worry.  If they don't already know, they will eventually and I would bet a months pay that those who are being lazy shitpumps WILL be sorted out.

Also...keep in mind...sometimes the best thing you can do is just make sure "you" perform and do "your" part for the team.  The folks who try to slide thru won't fool anyone.

:2c:

Reading stuff like this makes me think of the good ol days of the "walk around the back of the shack" or the trips to the low ground.  Those were pretty damn effective attitude adjustments IMO.

Snaketnk said:
And that's all BMQ is; a game.

I think that part of BMQ is "the game" but there is somewhat more of an aim to it than just "the game".

Agree 100% with your thoughts on taking it to the CO though!  Do NOT do that. 

Wow, I look even more dumb when I read all this :p Sorry for the stupidity!!!

Eye In The Sky said:
Not to sound mean but I highly doubt your brother knows ALL the instructors teaching BMQ, even if he works there.  Is he in Borden ONor St Jean QC?
I actually have no idea. Just from the way my brother threatened me, he just made it out to be that way  :mad: Right now my brother is on a ship passing Puerto Vallarta, if that helps. His last name is Su? Unless there are several hundreds of people named Su over there.

Eye In The Sky said:
Reading stuff like this makes me think of the good ol days of the "walk around the back of the shack" or the trips to the low ground.  Those were pretty damn effective attitude adjustments IMO.
Back of the shack... That really doesn't sound pleasant to me. But, reading what you said made me feel a lot better :) I'll pass this along.

I didn't know that a commanding officer was so important O.O Or is he the most important person there????? I guess I shouldn't have told him to do that... Agh, I feel like an idiot. I hope he calls me soon so that I can tell him what you guys said.

Sunfire249 said:
I actually have no idea. Just from the way my brother threatened me, he just made it out to be that way

What would your brother threaten you with?  At least he is there for support!

Anyway if your man is having issues in BMQ, just tell him to stay focused.  When I went through basic there numerous occasions where the actions of a few resulted in the entire platoon being punished.  Its all part of the fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back