• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

Interview scheduled for Sep 22. The hope for October BMQ is still alive. ;D

Yeah. Medical, PT, and paperwork all done. Another thing on my mind is that hopefully the reliability check comes through in time.

Is this change purely based on finance concerns? Having done a (PRes) national course this summer, with students coming from almost every brigade in the country, it was apparent that certain standards aren't as standard as we all thought. Especially when it came to our field portion. By pushing training below the brigade level to unit level, do we risk watering down the standards even more? Nothing I saw gravely affected operations, and we all gelled pretty quickly, but at some point I'm convinced there will be issues by losing standards on IBTS stuff.

Mosullivan15 said:
I just got the info packet . This is happening!

Oh yeah, what's in it? I did my quick interview today. Now just the background check...

Nothing too interesting. It's more getting it and seeing that I'm in the army.

You'll know once you get yours.

Gunshark said:
Interview scheduled for Sep 22. The hope for October BMQ is still alive. ;D

IF your interview was today, the odds of you getting onto BMQ in a month are basically 0.

Not sure if this post is in the correct location, so please move it if necessary.
I tried searching for this and the only other thread I found pertained to Reg Force BMQ.

I'm starting the weekend basic course for reservists on October 16th and was told it will last until April or May 2016.
Problem is, my wife is pregnant and her due date is April 28th which falls on a Thursday. April 29-May 1 might be the very last weekend of the course but I'm not sure how long it will last (I believe it's every other weekend for a total of 16 weekends).

What are my chances of successfully having that weekend off knowing it's right near the end of the course?

This is our first child, so I really do not want to miss the birth! That and she would probably kill me if I wasn't there lol.
Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Because of the nature of the course, very slim chance I would guess..
Only way to find out is to ask your course staff.

No one here will be able to give you an answer.
It varies from staff to staff on how they want to proceed with these things.

Something similar happened on my course where a candidate had to suddenly attend a funeral during course, and they were about to give him the boot but the course WO let it slide and made sure he returned earlier than the other candidates to catch up missed material.

Another candidate in my course had a court date for a speeding ticket during BMQ and was allowed to attend it but had to arrive back at a given time or he'd get the boot.

The only thing you can do is ask the TP WO and hope he has an answer for you. If your wife is anything like mine, she will go over her due date anyways. You only get time off for the birth of a child once per child.

Skeatah33 said:
Not sure if this post is in the correct location, so please move it if necessary.
I tried searching for this and the only other thread I found pertained to Reg Force BMQ.

I'm starting the weekend basic course for reservists on October 16th and was told it will last until April or May 2016.
Problem is, my wife is pregnant and her due date is April 28th which falls on a Thursday. April 29-May 1 might be the very last weekend of the course but I'm not sure how long it will last (I believe it's every other weekend for a total of 16 weekends).

What are my chances of successfully having that weekend off knowing it's right near the end of the course?

This is our first child, so I really do not want to miss the birth! That and she would probably kill me if I wasn't there lol.
Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Unless your chain of command are out to lunch they will help you get the weekend off to see the birth of your first kid.
There's nothing taught on a weekend BMQ course that cannot be made up. If your course staff are going to be hard asses about it you can voluntarily recourse yourself and be placed on the next course, then they can deal with employing you as an untrained soldier for a year.

You're also not on a contract so you could just not show up, say sorry, get yelled at, maybe charged some money and deal with the repercussions but be there for your kids birth which is priceless.

There is a chance your course staff parade once or twice a week, theres nothing stopping the unit from paying an instructor, who would probably sign in anyways, to go over the classes with you on a tuesday or thursday night or whatever.

Good luck to all starting the course tomorrow! I will not be joining you as I have not received the call.

Thanks for the guidance.. I'll let you know how the conversation goes and the end result..

Class A; if you don't show up and tell them ahead of time, they can't realistically charge you.  Forget that.

If it's the only weekend you miss, you shouldn't be looking at grounds for removal/failure unless its something very critical to the Qualification Standard.

Hopefully common sense prevails, and the first thing you need to do is ask and explain why.  And that's lots of notice...

Jarnhamar said:
If your course staff are going to be hard asses about it you can voluntarily recourse yourself and be placed on the next course, then they can deal with employing you as an untrained soldier for a year.

Voluntarily... what? THEY can deal? Good Lord man...

Jarnhamar said:
You're also not on a contract so you could just not show up, say sorry, get yelled at, maybe charged some money and deal with the repercussions but be there for your kids birth which is priceless.

Really? Seriously? Let's just advise a new soldier that we find it OK to just do what ever we want, break rules, and things will work out in the end. This has got to be the most inane statement i have seen on this site in a while...

Jarnhamar said:
There is a chance your course staff parade once or twice a week, theres nothing stopping the unit from paying an instructor, who would probably sign in anyways, to go over the classes with you on a tuesday or thursday night or whatever.

I think I would (for my own personal sanity) chalk your post up to a severe vitamin deficiency or even a bad hockey game outcome...

Je*** Ch*** Jarnhamar, you know better than this...

Back