• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bodies of 2 women found near Belleville, Ont.

BYT Driver said:
You missed the part where I said he'll get a good lawyer who'll get him off as a young offender. 
:piper:

I think you missed my part. As a I said before he is 18 years old - an adult and therefore will tried as an adult, no matter what. 

If I'm wrong, in making this assumption I'm sure there are people here with law enforcement/criminal law experience who will/can set me right.

Let's move right away from the 'gun' issue. This has nothing to do with availability, licensing, training, registration, etc, or anything else of firearms. It has no place in the discussion.

It has everything to do with a person, performing a criminal act, of his own volition. There is no inanimate object at fault, only the willful, conscious and malicious act of a 'human being'. Only the person bears responsibility, not what was in his hand.

Retired AF Guy said:
I think you missed my part. As a I said before he is 18 years old - an adult and therefore will tried as an adult, no matter what. 

If I'm wrong, in making this assumption I'm sure there are people here with law enforcement/criminal law experience who will/can set me right.

Quite right. He will be tried as an adult, but I can see this person plea out to manslaughter, unless the Crown has their ducks in a row and pursue Second or First Degree.

It appears that the Grim Reaper has struck again:

Man charged with murder in Belleville shooting

Melissa Juergensen, ctvottawa.ca

A 21-year-old Belleville man is charged with one count of first-degree murder and another count of attempted
murder following an early morning shooting in the quiet eastern Ontario community.

Myles Hughes was arrested at the scene after police found two men suffering from gunshot wounds
when they responded to a disturbance call at a home on Victoria Avenue at 3:30 a.m. Thursday.

Both victims were rushed to hospital in Belleville. Roy Steven Mays, 24, was pronounced dead a short time later.

Police say Justin Steven Coughlin, 19, was transferred to Kingston General Hospital to be treated for his injuries.
There is no word on his condition.

Police confirm the victims were related. However, they could not say if the pair had any connection to the suspect.

"I cannot confirm if there was an association between the victims and the accused," Sgt. Julie Forestell told CTV Ottawa.

Hughes made a brief court appearance in Belleville this afternoon. He is remanded in custody until his next court
appearance via video link on March 25.

It's the second time murder charges have been laid against a Belleville man in less than one week.

The mayor of Belleville says he's shocked to learn of another shooting, and hopes calm will return to the area soon.

"We're not used to tragic events like this in the area," Mayor Neil Ellis told CTV Ottawa on Thursday.

"Hopefully, calm will return to the city soon."

Article Link

When is this nonsense going to stop around here.!!!!  Enough already.!

krustyrl said:
When is this nonsense going to stop around here.!!!!  Enough already.!

I'll wait and see whether this last 'nonsense' was a home invasion and\ or self defence first.

Sorry RG..I was meaning all the damn death in this area..too many for what we are used to.!  As for Russ... he\ll get what's coming I'm sure.!!

I feel for the victims of these sensless crimes hopefully the guilty people involved will be brought to justice .   
                On another note  I was born in Trenton and have lived in the local area for 20 plus years.  With the exception of the latest rise of  violent crimes in the area it has been fairly quite and nice place to live  I just bought my first home and plan on still being here for awhile knock on wood .      I just hope that the local area returns to the quite little comunity that I remember.

recceguy said:
I'll wait and see whether this last 'nonsense' was a home invasion and\ or self defence first.

Apparently, there was a rowdy party going on and it got of control and the shooting started.  Here is yesterday's report from the Kingston Whig Standard (reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act ).

One man dead, one injured in Belleville shooting

Posted By JASON MILLER, QMI AGENCY

Posted 22 hours ago

A Belleville man is facing murder charges after a St. Patrick's Day party he was hosting erupted in gunfire leaving one man dead and another gravely injured.

City police held a news conference yesterday to confirm Myles Hughes, 21, was charged with one count of murder and one count of attempted murder. He made a brief appearance in Belleville court yesterday and was remanded in custody until a video appearance in Ontario court March 25.

Det.-Insp. Mike Graham said the shooting happened at about 3:30 a.m., at a Belleville apartment. He said two men were shot when the party hosted by the tenants of the building turned ugly. Officers arrived at the scene to find a "large disturbance."

The melee left Roy Steven Mays, 24, with gunshot wounds. He was pronounced dead at Quinte Health Care Belleville General as a result of the injuries sustained. The other man, Justin Steven Coughlan, 19, of Shannonville was transported to Kingston General Hospital where he is being treated for his injuries. Coughlan is the deceased's cousin.

Graham said a man was arrested at the crime scene, minutes after another man was "found laying on the ground," suffering from gunshot wounds outside the house, by police.

"At 3:32 a.m., our first officer at the scene made an arrest in regards to the injuries suffered by the male," he said.

Graham was tight-lipped about the details of the case, saying the investigation is ongoing, with many interviews to be conducted. He said in order to secure the integrity of the investigation, certain details such as the kind of gun used to commit the crime, would not be released.

"There was a large group of people that were in the area, that were associated to that residence," he said.

He said Hughes lived in the house where the shooting occurred.

Graham added that illegal firearms have been a predominant factor in recent investigations.

Police had a portion of Albert Street cordoned off yesterday as they scoured the area for potential evidence. A single shoe, possibly from a partygoer, sat on the front stoop of a building across the street from the scene -- it, too, was cordoned off.

Sarah Tucker was blocked by police as she attempted to enter the house to walk her dog, left inside the apartment house. She's also a tenant in the building where the shooting occurred. Tucker said she was awakened by the rowdy party, in the adjoining unit, where Hughes lived with another man.

"I woke up, because I heard a bunch of kids yelling and screaming and running back and forth from room to room," she said. "I just sat at the top of the stairs and listened because that's kind of out of the ordinary."

Tucker said chaos erupted when gunshots rang out inside the house.

"I heard pop, pop, pop," she said. "I heard them all screaming, like 'Oh my God, he's dead. Call 911'."

Tucker took matters into her own hands and called 911 from her side of the house.

"I didn't even think or hesitate, I just called 911 right away," she said. "It was kind of surreal."

Tucker said Hughes and the other man hosting the party, moved into the house a few months ago.

I found the following statement from the police kind of interesting: "...in order to secure the integrity of the investigation, certain details such as the kind of gun used to commit the crime, would not be released."

Here we go again:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Body found north of Belleville
17/04/2010 11:20:26 AM
Article Link

A body was found on the banks of the Moira River north of Belleville, Ont., and will undergo a post-mortem examination, police said.

Belleville police said they received a call in the early evening Friday reporting the unidentified body had been found in the Corbyville area north of Belleville, about two kilometres north of Highway 401.

Police would not confirm whether the body recovered was a man or a woman. The post-mortem examination is scheduled for Sunday.

Before we get to carried away, there is nothing to suggest that foul play may be involved. This could be an accident or may be health related (heart attack).

wont mention any names
knew of a guy (sentenced 3 yr)
in other words 3 yrs army reg force
this chap came out of a bar one night
turned left in an alley
(this fellow wasnt in the forces at the time)
turned left and proceeded into ally
coming upon 4  guys raping
a young lady..
asked politely for them to stop
asked again
they didnt..... he kicked ass seriously
unfortunately and one was killed
the reason he was sentenced to
serve in the military  was because the judge
thought he needed more discipline.....
the gentleman was a 7th belt tae-kwon-do
someone at that level knows discipline
anyway he served his time 8-ch(petawawa)
long time ago... anyone remember him,,,i do
anyways the lad did his time and was gone
too bad cause i hung with him and he was a-ok
                            scoty b

More disturbing news from Belleville:

Fetus found at Belleville sewage plan

Police have confirmed human remains found Thursday afternoon at the city’s sewage treatment facility are those of a fetus.

Deputy chief Paul Vandegraaf said the fetus is being examined at the chief coroner's forensic pathology unit in Toronto. He said he was shocked by the discovery.

“I'm concerned for the employees who would have been present during this discovery,” he said.

He said tracing where the fetus came from will be a difficult task.

“I wouldn't even know where we are going to begin,” he said. “We'll take great direction from the coroner’s office.”

Staff at the Belleville Water Control Plant discovered the remains at about 2:45 p.m.

More at link

PMedMoe said:
More disturbing news from Belleville:

Fetus found at Belleville sewage plan

Police have confirmed human remains found Thursday afternoon at the city’s sewage treatment facility are those of a fetus.

Deputy chief Paul Vandegraaf said the fetus is being examined at the chief coroner's forensic pathology unit in Toronto. He said he was shocked by the discovery.

“I'm concerned for the employees who would have been present during this discovery,” he said.

He said tracing where the fetus came from will be a difficult task.

“I wouldn't even know where we are going to begin,” he said. “We'll take great direction from the coroner’s office.”

Staff at the Belleville Water Control Plant discovered the remains at about 2:45 p.m.

More at link

I fervently hope those that discovered this get some help. They will need it.

I've never heard of this before.....this is really disturbing.

Technoviking said:
Oh good Lord!  My hometown has gone nuts without me!

It appears that the body belonged a women who had been missing for a few months. Apparently she had drowned, so far, nothing to suggest foul play.

Mid Aged Silverback said:
I fervently hope those that discovered this get some help. They will need it.
I've never heard of this before.....this is really disturbing.

Re: "Fetus found at Belleville sewage plant".
There was an interesting case in July 2007 in Toronto ( Queen and Broadview area ) of a home renovator who found a mumified infant in the wall wrapped in a newspaper. The newspaper was dated 15 Sept.  1925.
"paramedics who came to the scene said it looked like the infant had a crushed hip."
http://www.thestar.com/article/239573
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/720650--baby-kintyre-lives-on-in-radio-serial

Back