• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

The polish is flaking off probably because you're not working it in enough.

Try the Guards Division SOP:

1. Remove the laces, then brush polish them, hard, first working the polish into all the cracks and crannies and welts with the brush. Let them dry then buff off the polish with a soft boot brush marked 'parade boots brush polishing brush only', or something like that. Only use your 'brush polishing' tim of standard Kiwi. Keep a brush for parade boots only, so you don't transfer grit and mud from field boots.

2. Using a fresh tin of Kiwi parade gloss, 'layer them up'. This means - using only your yellow Kiwi boot polishing flannel - dipping the cloth on the polish as if you were going to spit shine the shoes, but just layer the polish on in circles. Again, work the polish into the nooks and crannies. Let them dry overnight.

3. Spit shine, using a fresh yellow Kiwi flannel that you only use for this purpose, but don't spit on the boots. Get the flannel wet with warm water, then wring it out so it's damp. Make circles for seemingly forever. If you need more moisture on the boots, re-dampen the cloth. If you need additional moisture on the boots, 'breathe' on them until they fog up, then carry on.

Don't use spit, dirty cloths or brushes, or cotton balls dipped in water. Only use a Kiwi flannel cloth and Kiwi polish.  And don't just polish the toes (you idle, 'orrible little man!).

Post some photos as you progress. I'd like to live vicariously through others when it comes to marathon boot polishing these days.  ;D

everybody in my unit who recently got these new boots are all having problems with them!

it is possible to get a decent shine on them, not the best shine but better than some people who don't take there time with them but worst off than the shine is that fact that literally everybody I know who got these boots has problems with the polish flaking the second they start wearing them after polishing even after a while of use and polishing.

Personally I tryed many different methods including removing the protective coating off new boots with varsol, scrubbing under hot water, and roughing up the boot with scotchbright to ruffen the surface to take a base coat, nothing has worked! I even went as far as ordering a second pair to make sure I didn't get a lemon but to no avail same problems no matter what method employed to polish them.

I've given up on the new boots and have resorted to buying a pair of older surplus DEU boots.

Sounds to me like the class case of "shitty base coat" before you started spit shining.

Put a thick coat one, the same way you used to do the old combat boots (you've been in long enough?  serious question).  Just a good buff with the boot brush.

Wear them around abit.  *trying to put cracks in the leather

Do this a few times.

Then start polishing them with the kiwi clothe, really small amounts of polish, just trying to work all the polish into the cracks in the leather.

If you need/want to strip them bare, I use mineral spirits.  stinks but works very well.

MJP said:
I know some people have have divergent views on polishing products (just read the painted boots thread from last Sept) but bang for your buck Leather Luster rocks.  If your paying someone anyway you can get them to do your boots for you or just order the kit and do it yourself.  Either way you will not be disappointed.

http://shop.leatherluster.com/main.sc

I can vouch for the various and immense effort you have put into your boots over the years......just boggles the mind.  ;D

My recomendation would be:

1. Make sure they're completly broken in before you start.

2. Strip the coating thats comes on them before you start (there is some strange wax coating on the boots when you recieve them). I'd suggest Lacquer thinner for this (use in a well ventilated area). After stripping the leather will be a dull grey, don't worry about it.

3. Get a good base coat are start spit polishing.

Well, I haven't worn the lil' bastards since my last post back in April, they've been sitting on the shelf with a nice polish on them, but I took them off and worked in another layer of polish last night.  This morning, I put on my shiny oxfords for work (my day job) just to try them out and by the afternoon, I have a fine, even layer of black powder that was once polish. 

CRAP!  Haha, I'm going to try the SOS/1200 grit method and see what happens. 

This is a question that has come up a hundred times at RMC: "do you polish sea boots?"  All the NCdts who go to NETPO and get their sea boots are told by the supply tech: "don't polish them, they don't require any maintenance".  Yet when they return to RMC with worn boots or dirty boots they are naturally asked why they haven't polished their boots.  Does anyone know if what the policy is and if there is any kind of reference regarding it?

Much appreciated.

Just pick up one of those tubs of Emu Black boot paste. It will keep your boots looking black and clean. It won't shine them though.

tumbling_dice said:
This is a question that has come up a hundred times at RMC: "do you polish sea boots?"  All the NCdts who go to NETPO and get their sea boots are told by the supply tech: "don't polish them, they don't require any maintenance".  Yet when they return to RMC with worn boots or dirty boots they are naturally asked why they haven't polished their boots.  Does anyone know if what the policy is and if there is any kind of reference regarding it?

Much appreciated.

Who ever the Sup Tech was, is incorrect. 

Check with the Canadian Forces Dress Instructions A-AD-265-000/AG-001 (CFP 265).

These "Sailors" represent the Navy at all times and especially when in any order of CF Dress, take some pride and look presentable. 

Boots shall be clean and shone.  Try walking into the Stadacona drill shed lookling slovenly.  The CPO2 will ensure you will not forget that meeting and the proper standards of dress.

And by the way "Boots, Ankle" applies to your sea boots.

Question, did the N.I.C.E. project put out some boots that were like a suede leather outer and might not need boot paste/polish?  Seen here in this thread.  Curious if they are the 'sea boots' some are referring to, if they were ever actually issued/procured.

Eye In The Sky said:
Question, did the N.I.C.E. project put out some boots that were like a suede leather outer and might not need boot paste/polish?  Seen here in this thread.  Curious if they are the 'sea boots' some are referring to, if they were ever actually issued/procured.

No they came out with a similar boot to the current combat boot. 

The 2 most recent versions of sea boots are made with "Goretex" and are supposed to be breathable while waterproof.  If you polish them with the kiwi stuff it will clog the pores and make them non-breathable, and they will take forever to dry.  They will also smell bad (worse) The emu paste is available again at canex and even comes with a sponge for application.  I cant speak for RMC being a junior ncm, but if you show up on a ship with shiny sea boots you might get a laugh or two.  Someone might even suggest you obviously are good at avoiding doing any real work...

As far as the drill shed is concerned, I have never been sent there in NCDs, but who knows what excitement the future holds...

RadarSailor said:
The 2 most recent versions of sea boots are made with "Goretex" and are supposed to be breathable while waterproof.  If you polish them with the kiwi stuff it will clog the pores and make them non-breathable, and they will take forever to dry.  They will also smell bad (worse) The emu paste is available again at canex and even comes with a sponge for application.  I cant speak for RMC being a junior ncm, but if you show up on a ship with shiny sea boots you might get a laugh or two.  Someone might even suggest you obviously are good at avoiding doing any real work...

As far as the drill shed is concerned, I have never been sent there in NCDs, but who knows what excitement the future holds...

You will spend time in the drill shed in NCDs just give it time for you to do some parade practices.

Well I guess I don't do any real work then because my combat boots are always at state of high shine, no spit all brush. 

I have also been a member of 4 ships companies and I managed to keep my sea boots highly shone, perhaps your standards simply differ from mine which just happen to be located in the CF dress regulations.

Your job doesn't end when secure is piped.  It takes 5 mins at home or in your mess with a brush to keep your boots in a proper CF looking state.

Hey All, not sure if this is the right place but please feel free to move this post. I'm at Borden and would like my parades dipped (new ones are on order) does anyone here know a good place to get them done?

I have visited that corner quite a bit. And I am a stickler on how my parade boots look as I take great pride in my deportment. However the new parade boots that they issue in basic do not hold the polish as well as the older parade boots. And for the life of me I cannot find my size of old parades in any surplus stores because trust me I looked. I am not doing this to be lazy as I ordered a 2nd pair for when I am ok course. I just want a wicked shine on my boots like the good lord intended lol. FYI I have tried all the tricks burn shine etc just doesn't cut it

Is it that you want to look good, or do you want to stand out above the rest?

You may have answered your own problem in your statement:

However the new parade boots that they issue in basic do not hold the polish as well as the older parade boots.

Time and patience are the only real methods that work. You will find that after a couple of years the amount of effort required to get a good looking shine will be minimal, as long as you put the time and effort in the beginning.

I'll always believe in "work smarter, not harder." I find people who have dreamed up some sort of de facto rule that you must spit shine your parade boots to be quite ambiguous / odd in their explanation / reasoning.

That said, I have not gotten this magical treatment done to my boots / shoes. I did have the same problem of it flaking off, and no matter how many coats I put on it would still come off in flakes. I attributed that to the very plastic-like coating that many people speak of.

I did find that if I sanded off that coating that comes with the boots/shoes (with a coarse, medium, and then fine grit sandpaper) that the leather now absorbed and held the polish like leather is supposed to (very different from how plastic takes to polish), and despite crawling under tables trying to steal gavels and other Mess Dinner mischief, the polish will "scuff" but it won't flake off any more.

Back