• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Thread- Merged

A

adam1850

Hello Everyone,
I was just wondering what all of your opinions are of Bleachers On Base Borden, i've eaten there many times, and love the food, but some people dissagree!, im just wondering what everyone else here thinks... ;D

adam1850 said:
Hello Everyone,
I was just wondering what all of your opinions are of Bleachers On Base Borden, i've eaten there many times, and love the food, but some people dissagree!, im just wondering what everyone else here thinks... ;D

My, what a coincidence ... a thread about Bleachers ... and, your first post, too!

Since you've eaten there many times, I'm sure you've noticed how many other people were there.
Thus, from your own observations, I've no doubt you've got a fairly good idea what it's like.
And, if you've ever eaten in a commercial establishment off-base, you've already got a pretty good idea of how it compares to Kelsey's, Montana's, TGIF, Pat & Mario's, etc.

So ... tell us a little more about yourself ... like, your MOC, UIC ... and why all of a sudden you decided to post your question here ... ?

Well actually, its my first thread, because i've just begun to read up on this forum, second there is no area's within the forum for individual bases.....That was my first thread and my second was going to be about the future of the Base....I thought that some of you would have an opinion on my query, but if i offended you by putting my question in the wrong place, then i shall stop posting, thats all well and good, but i don't see how i did anything wrong...i believe where i  posted it was in general discussion...

adam1850 said:
...i believe where i   posted it was in general discussion...

This thread was moved into "Radio Chatter" rather than the main "Canadian Army" Forum, basically because this is where we talk about stuff like the NHL, pickup trucks, and stuff that isn't crucial to the future of the Canadian Army.

As such, the moderator who moved it hear figured Bleachers isn't really that vital to the defence of Canada (and, to be perfectly frank, I agree).

So, what else would you like to know?  Are you posted near Bleachers?  Live near there?  Interested in buying land?  Or ... ?

Thats very well, my appologies, if i posted in the wrong place, just the discription of the main forum is vague,  but in other words i posted the topic beacuse i had heard recently that there used to be Bleachers restraunts all over Canada on bases. And that they had closed down, Borden was the only one that was left...ANd also that its not incredably busy..its quite the shame seeing bases die down so much, its bad for moral....what do you think??

adam1850 said:
... i had heard recently that there used to be Bleachers restraunts all over Canada on bases. And that they had closed down, Borden was the only one that was left...

That's an interesting story.

adam1850 said:
...ANd also that its not incredably busy..

How many people were there when you visited?  Did you sit in the main dining room, on downstairs in the pool table room?

Dear adam1850,

Unfortunately you logged off only four minutes after I asked you about the last time you dined at Bleacher's (and, I'm still interested to know whether you liked the renovations to the downstairs pool room - I think it's a lot brighter now, don't you?)

Since you're new here, I also thought I'd try to help you out a little bit.

First of all, when a Newbie makes his first post a question about Bleachers at the same time that there's a high profile news story eminating from CFB Borden ... some people spider senses start tingling ...

You see, we don't mind if you're upfront and identify yourself as a journalist or researcher from the Globe and Mail, but ... when you try the backdoor approach ... some of us view that as ... well ... impolite (but, hey - obviously not everybody has the same ethics, right?  After all - in very generic terms, some people are required to be upfront and honest, and others are weasels who'll do anything for a scoop ... but, I digress ...).

Please feel free to ask as many and whatever questions as you want, however ... please be upfront as to why you're asking the questions, what you're going to do with the info, and ... who you are.

I'm not saying that you tired to mislead anybody, or that what you did verged on entrapment, but ... just the same, your first encounter here went over like a fart in a crowded elevator.

Please say "hi" to Sylvia, thanks.

adam1850 said:
Hello Everyone,

If you like the food there, why would you care what anyone else thinks of the food?  This seems like an odd question. 

Did you want us to convince you to hate the food?

I was thru there in 94 on course (CFSAL), and I can remember the French sign 'bonne bouffe' or something like that with the English version 'good times' next to it.

So long ago.

Cheers,

Wes

the food at Sassy's was always the best.  Especially on Wednesdays.  Or you could always go to Banana Pete's...

tess

Beautiful - nothing like out "G-ing" the "G"....

That Bossi, just like inspector Closeau  ;D The Bleachers in Gagetown was the only place we were allowed to go for the first little while on my basic, don't know about the food but the beer was cold and that IMHO makes a good impression ;)

Did a search, and couldn't find my answer (before someone says that).

I'll be in Borden for my 3's this summer (no band jokes) and then to do some OJT (playing with the base pipe band I believe). I don't yet have my G2 (only test date before I leave is 45min before an exam for school) and I probably won't have it by then, or a car for that matter. Now, I've been told that not only could I bring my vehicle, but yes, I do get the odd weekend time off. 

The issue is, a very close friend of mine is going to be a staff cadet at the Blackdown camp nearby and she has insisted that I take her on leave one weekend. Which is all fine and dandy, but I don't have much of a way to pick her up and then get to Barrie without my car. So, what modes of transport are available to me to get from Borden to Barrie on a weekend? And if anyone has any bright ideas of how to get into the bowels of Borden to get her, that would be helpful too.

This is important, if I don't take her on leave I'll never hear the end of it from her.  :D 

Haha, I'm in the same position as you, no car an I'm going to Borden this summer, only not for a lame band course  :p

Best advice, become good friends with people who have cars. Theres also taxis an buses.

Most Taxi companies have a return trip deal hat as I remember costs around $40.00 round trip, you can go on a Friday and return on a Sunday or when ever you like usually. However if you are in the CF your school may have a policy about fraternisation with the Cadets and their staff, that is all I will say about that.

Depending on how long you are gonna be there, I think you're stuffed/rooted without a car (and at the mercy of the most intense boredom of your life), as when I was there in 1994 (CFSAL), the place was huge and isolated. There was a base taxi operating then, but I don't know if thats still operating.

Good luck!

Wes

It is true that Borden is an intensely boring (If that makes sense) place to be without a car. I have been there three times without any type of wheels both at CFSEME and CFSAL. I ended up doing a lot of walking to and from the CANEX or Tim's until I struck a deal with a friend of mine where she would let me use her car from time to time or give me a lift when needed. I also spent a lot of time in Toronto on my weekend which is easy to get to and relatively cheap if you have somewhere to stay for free.

Angus Taxi usually has a pretty good deal from the main base to Blackdown.  As for getting to Barrie, ask when you get there.  Your staff cadet friend should be able to find you a ride.  They do have shuttle buses from Blackdown to Barrie once in a while.  I don't know if they will let non-cadets on the bus though.  Ask around, people are pretty good at giving ride.

2332Piper said:
Excellent.

...not like I'm taking her off base for a orgy filled weekend...

From what ive heard you can achive that by simply staying in blackdown.....   ;D (joke)

And to add to previous comments. having spent a bit of time in Borden (albiet with a veh.) im sure you will make freinds with people on course who have a car. and usually they are pretty cool about helping you out getting around places... when im on base, buy me a coffee and i didnt mind driving ya somewhere...

but if you have a Bike it will make going places in borden a heck of alot easier.. especially the Admin Runs to the Cannex and the Timmys.
good luck and have fun.. all in all borden isnt that bad a place to spend a summer....

Back