• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Thread- Merged

PMQs.. you've been in 1 and you've been in them all!! Every house on the block looks the same. Good neighborhoods to grow up in though.

Rent in the PMQs are usually about on par with local rent prices.

Like it said, is it just the wifi or whatever those fancy initals are for around the canex and what not? I'll be down there soon for a course for two weeks. and well this is my contact to the outside world basically.
just thought I'd ask and try my luck.
Greg

When I was at Borden on my three's the only place I could check my email was the MFRC.

There may be DIN at where your course is. You may also get internet in your room, but I doubt it will be viable for only 2 weeks. Otherwise there was wifi in T139 but I don't know the details of how.

For the love of God don't go through Rogers to get internet there ... just don't. Trust me on it

JR's cafe right beside the O club. Open from 4pm to 10pm everyday, sign up for an account and you'll have it in 2-3 days. Rogers internet is 55 a month..

Armymedic said:
There may be DIN at where your course is. You may also get internet in your room, but I doubt it will be viable for only 2 weeks. Otherwise there was wifi in T139 but I don't know the details of how.

heh, I've been in for four years now (shut up I'm still new I know) and I still don't have acess to the din. heh.
yeah I was just hoping the canex area thing would have that free wifi stuff like it does here in pet.
Greg

Steve said:
For the love of God don't go through Rogers to get internet there ... just don't. Trust me on it

Why? I have rogers in Borden with no problems.....

I second the JR's internet cafe place. Near the JR eating mess on the southside. To the best of my knowlege there is no Wireless internet in the CANEX.

My information is a bit dated but in 2003 there was internet access at the library. The library is near the tank park.
Bart

I'll begin my v. tech training in Borden in March and I want to know if I can rent a MQ so my wife could live with me... thanks

You will have to get approval from your superiors, than get a copy of your non-restricted posting notice and take that to CFHA.  As well if memory serves me correctly this course is shorter than six months so if they do approve it the expense of getting there will most likely be at your own expense.

I am course loaded to fly to Borden in a week to take a course on HAZMAT handling. Is anyone else here loaded on this course or taken it in the past? I wouldn't mind getting an idea as to what is expected. I have never been to Borden before, a little odd as I am a trade qualified sup tech (I did my QL3 in Edmonton last summer), anyone have any advice for dealing with Borden in February? I also have a quick question about dress. My joining instructions make metion of showing up in DEUs, are most Borden courses run in DEUs or can I expect to throw on the CADPAT for most of the course? Thank you for any help you can offer.

I don't know about the course, but this is a link to DSAFEG, it might be useful.  http://www.vcds.forces.gc.ca/dsafeg/intro_e.asp

On course, chances are you will be wearing CADPAT, but if the joining instructions say to show up in DEUs, show up in DEUs. For info on the course, ask around at the unit, I'm sure some other people in Supply have taken the course, plus the guys in Transport.

Borden is an alright base, close to Barrie, so your not far away from civilization like some other bases. Don't just piss away your money in the JRs/Bars.

Have fun in Borden Fancy  :D

Also, you are a Reservist not a Reservest.

Interesting link Big Bad John, I didn't find to much information that I was looking for but still ended up spending a while going through what was there. I think I am a few years away from needing the courses documented there, they seem to be aimed at base safety officers and the like.
As for MikeL, not so much on the people at the unit having this course. My Sgt. took it with the regs some years back, but I think that is about it for people that have it. Me and Tom are both going on this course, and no, I don't intend on blowing all my pay at the H club.
Oh yeah, bite me Mike.

my dh and I are in the middle of trying to get a Q in borden. He is also on the V-tech course so we are tring to get it rushed so that we have it for when I am finished school here in Kingston but before he starts course. So far we've been approved just dont know when the move date will be. Once you start your course you wont be allowed time off to sort out the move (if it is approved) so she may hae to do it on her own.

Shadow Cat said:
You will have to get approval from your superiors, than get a copy of your non-restricted posting notice and take that to CFHA.   As well if memory serves me correctly this course is shorter than six months so if they do approve it the expense of getting there will most likely be at your own expense.

The message you are speaking of is the posting message, it states on it if the member is on a restricted posting (IR--imposed restriction) or not.  If the member is on an IR then you ask for the restriction to be lifted and for your family to move to where you are.  Your course starts on March 27th and ends 2 Nov 06 if you are taking your 3s, I take it, you do have time now while on PRETC to request a PMQ, take 5 days relocation leave to "pack load and move" and then take 5 days on the other end (which you don't have to take if you are pressed for time) for unload, unpack and move in.  You will be entitled to "return to assist" which is just what is says but only if you have time to do so.  If you don't have time thats OK, your family can still move you just can't go back to help them.

I have been on your end as well as the Admin end of this, its not complicated, you need to ask via memo to get a PMQ, if they give you a hard time just keep trying.

I thought I would never get a Q, but one day the WO just walked up to me and said go to housing and secure your Q, I then went to the BOR and signed my move plan, was on a plane in 2 hours (Yeah the BOR here is INCREDIBLE) and suprised my Husband who had no clue I was even coming home.  1 week later I was driving to Ontario with a 15 year old, a Husband, and 2 Cats.

There is paperwork available for you to apply for your Q at PRETC.  And yes, if your course is longer than 6 months you can get your IR lifted and move your family. 

I was wondering if anyone knew any where around Borden or Angus where there is a video store. Also any body have any favorite places to eat?

Back