• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Thread- Merged

about the car thing to get around base. there is a free bus service that makes its rounds by all the shacks and the canex and crap.

An hour to walk to the canex from your shacks? My recommendation is bring up a bike, you will get some PT from riding it, and save on gas. You are a Lorne, so you will be close by, so weekends(if you are off) it is like an hour drive home. Like was said, Angus is like 5 minutes from the Canex, and has all that you should need(Sobeys, Liquor/beer store, pharmacy, giant tiger, radio shack, ect). Barbers is in the Canex(there is also one at the gym). The sitdown restaurant on base(Bleachers), is decent, a little pricey, but not bad food. The gym is fantastic, great facilities. There are a few Baseball fields, and 6 or 7 soccer fields. There is lots to do if you are into sports and crap. Oh and there is 2 golf courses on base. There is a Movie theater on base as well, but they are a few weeks behind on the movies. The Jr's mess(Huron club, or "the H"), isn't too bad, they are getting new pool tables, to they will be operational again. Big nights there are Thursday, and Friday...

Any more questions, ask away.

Thank you for your answers.. brin I have 2 Mods to do first oen is from June 13th to July 19th and second one is from July 20th to August 30th so you know what these courses include what i'll be covering? im just finishing of SQ in a week i get a day off before i head to borden.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, maybe the training forum? Anyway, every time I've posted here I get flamed so I'll cross my fingers for luck.

Coming off christmas leave after finishing basic and heading to CFB Borden from Ottawa to sit on pat plt for (I hope) only 3 months to start my MOC. With the background info out of the way, this is my first time traveling to Borden from Ottawa.

Looked into train schedules and bus info, but the train doesn't go further than toronto and the bus takes an entire day.

Any suggestions? I was gonna try train to toronto then catch a bus.

I've been in the army less than 5 months and already been told I should MOT a couple times. Surely veh techery ain't THAT bad?

:cdn:

From Toronto? There is a cab company called Connections and they will take you from Toronto to Accommodations and then right to your barracks. For only $45 or was it $55? Give or take. Hope that helps. You need to call them in advance. Sorry I don't have a number. It's been awhile.  ;D

Whichever method you decide to take, it will still in all probability take you a whole day, with connections and waitovers.

I still haven't been paid the $40 in gas it took to get to st. jean from ottawa! But thanks for the tips guys.. I'll definetely look into that cab company, that actually sounds reasonable.

a little quick google sleuthing - http://www.cfpsa.com/en/psp/CFPSATraining/docs/HockeyOfficialsCourse2006_en.pdf

in there - Connections Transport - 1-888-890-6801

now why couldn't they have that info on the CFB Borden webpage?

When I show up - do I dress in DEU or regular uniform? Thanks for the friendly replies!

Thats a hard one. You should have a joining instruction that details this. The CFB Borden website should be able to help you out or try calling the Base Duty center.
Keep all receipts, and be patient with the claims pers. Remember, you are not the first person to join, move and who has to submit a claim. Just ensure your ducks are in a row.
Going Veh Tech isn't so bad. It at least gives you a head start for post career employment.  EO Tech would have been a better choice  ;D

We are posted in the summer. Can anyone tell anything about the base. Things to do not to do. Places to visite stuff like that..

Thanks

The base itself isn't bad. I was never "posted" there, but I was there long enough to be able to say it's a good spot. There is a lot around the base to do. Barrie is a 10 minute drive and Alliston is about the same the opposite way. Angus isn't a bad little town. You'll be able to find most things you need there and if not like I said Barrie is a stones throw away. If your a winter person and like to ski there is some good ski hills in Snow Valley(just outside Barrie),Blue Mountain(Collingwood and an awesome spot) and Mount St.Louis(Oro-Medonte). There is a lot of stuff to do around there to keep you busy. Doesn't hurt that Toronto is about 35 minutes down to the 400. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself there.

Did you try :

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Google search of Army.ca - http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=+site%3Aarmy.ca+%22search+term%22&btnG=Search&meta= (follow the link then replace "search term" with what you are looking for)

with "Borden" and "PMQ" for a start ?

Having spent time at Gagnam, but not recently. and way more time at Borden I'd say that you're moving up. Somebody at your new unit should be able to help you out.

Driving times quoted earlier will vary with traffic, but I'd say that fire_guy686's estimates are a little optimistic.

PMQs have no basements. If you're looking to buy, my CO's a real estate agent. Barrie and Alliston are both growing communities.

Loachman said:
Driving times quoted earlier will vary with traffic, but I'd say that fire_guy686's estimates are a little optimistic.

They are if you stick to the main roads or the 400 is backed up ;D.

I'd suggest to learn the side roads(they are pretty easy to figure out) and use them. It will save you time and it will save you from a lot of the idiot drivers that travel those roads.

Although the PMQ's do not have basements they do have an Attic. I never used mine mostly because I never have enough stuff to really need too, but it is there.

For the Summer...

Head out the North Gate, after 3rd set of light's(McDonald's/Sobey's) make a left.
Make one more left(at Stop sign), Stay on that road to take you to Wasaga Beach.

North Gate, right at First set of lights, tourist information.

Depending on what you want there is lots to do.

Just ask, I'm sometimes at that Paramedic Station in Angus (North Gate, after second set of lights(timmies) on the right)
Whoever is there would probably be able to answer most questions...unless their Newbies of course.

And speaking of Timmies, the one on Base is usually better than the Angus one.

Realistate is still booming, one good agent is Peggy Hill (for real) 705-796-8191..I have no finacial ties to her or her business.

And the Driving times are a little more than previously mentioned.

Cheers,
Ben

fire_guy686 said:
They are if you stick to the main roads or the 400 is backed up ;D.

I'd suggest to learn the side roads(they are pretty easy to figure out) and use them. It will save you time and it will save you from a lot of the idiot drivers that travel those roads.

I use back roads regularly and vary my route frequently because I like variety. I live in Newmarket, and it takes me about 45 minutes to do the trip from home to work or the opposite. Knock off ten minutes between Highway 400 and my place, and that's still 35 minutes with Toronto a bit further down the road. Yes, it could be done, but one sees the OPP reasonably frequently and getting stopped for fifty over will now result in one's licence being suspended and one's car impounded on the spot and one left to find one's own way to destination from the side of the road.

And then there's winter, for a good chunk of the year.

Loachman said:

At least it's not Toronto driving seasons, Winter and Construction :)

Loachman said:
I use back roads regularly and vary my route frequently because I like variety. I live in Newmarket, and it takes me about 45 minutes to do the trip from home to work or the opposite. Knock off ten minutes between Highway 400 and my place, and that's still 35 minutes with Toronto a bit further down the road. Yes, it could be done, but one sees the OPP reasonably frequently and getting stopped for fifty over will now result in one's licence being suspended and one's car impounded on the spot and one left to find one's own way to destination from the side of the road.

Maybe 35 was pushing it a little bit. OPP on the 400?? Wow, I've seen them once on my many travels to T.O and that was for a Traffic Accident. I must be lucky I guess.

Anyways soldiergirl, best of luck to you and your family in Borden. It's a good spot and I'm sure you will enjoy yourself there.

fire_guy686 said:
Maybe 35 was pushing it a little bit. OPP on the 400?? Wow, I've seen them once on my many travels to T.O and that was for a Traffic Accident. I must be lucky I guess.

I've been doing that commute for twelve years. I see them more frequently now than when I was first posted there. Only one ticket so far, and that was about a decade ago (my RX7 was expensive to operate for several reasons).

I believe they have increased their numbers on that stretch of 400 with all the high profile accidents.
(And with allot more traveling down to Cash-a-donia for pay duty)

I've had to tie an anchor to my rear bumper to keep it under ;)

Back